Steven Gerrard

markem

Listening to Carragher trying to justify and stick up for him was cringeworthy.

(tu)

Costa was called a scumbag etc when he done it yet this scouse prick is getting defended by his buddies (the same morons who had a witch hunt on Costa).

Scouse wanks.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely but I couldn't believe hearing Rodgers go on about Liverpool not tackling first half being to blame :lol:

Was pretty embarrassing. However if I came on against the tarriers at HT and we hadn't got stuck into them in the first half, the first thing I would do as captain is go in to a hard but fair challenge like Thomson on Keane for instance to get the team up for it. There's no excuse for the afters that followed the original challenge though.

(tu)

Costa was called a scumbag etc when he done it yet this scouse prick is getting defended by his buddies (the same morons who had a witch hunt on Costa).

Scouse wanks.

That's where my problem with it lies. If it wasn't "one of their own" there's no way they would have been so understanding or favourable towards it.

Imagine if it was Balotelli rather than Gerrard.

We don't have racists who bite at our club and we wouldn't stand by them either if we did.

Horrible bastarts.

El Hadji Diouf was idolised by us during his time. He laughed at someone who had broken his leg, spat at a supporter (he probably deserved it...), a cheat.

Completely naive if you think Suarez wouldn't have hero status within our support if he was playing for us.

Zero morales in football.

Don't talk pish.

If Gerrard or Suarez were Rangers players they'd be idolised just as much.

Well I was half joking as tarring an entirety of a fanbase with one brush is patently stupid...

However, as GF has mentioned those T-Shirts in support of Suarez and the amount of fans who tried to justify his racist abuse of another player was pretty cringeworthy.

Just like the ones expressing double standards on what he did compared to their reaction when Costa did similar. Infact there seems to be a complete glossing over of the fact that despite being a very good footballer and the embodiment of 'passion', Gerrard has always been a diver and committed some fairly awful challenges that could have ended in serious injury.

You can speak for yourself on the idolising front, I absolutely detested El Hadj Diouf and hated every minute he wore our shirt. Woulda been the same with Suarez (even though he is a wonderful footballer).

El Hadji Diouf was idolised by us during his time. He laughed at someone who had broken his leg, spat at a supporter (he probably deserved it...), a cheat.

Completely naive if you think Suarez wouldn't have hero status within our support if he was playing for us.

Zero morales in football.

Mackie broke his leg trying to break someone elses, you did see the challenge didn't you? EHD was hardly 'idolised' in the short time he was here and not in the way SG is at his club.

Was pretty embarrassing. However if I came on against the tarriers at HT and we hadn't got stuck into them in the first half, the first thing I would do as captain is go in to a hard but fair challenge like Thomson on Keane for instance to get the team up for it. There's no excuse for the afters that followed the original challenge though.

I thought his first tackle was similar to the one where Thomson saw red at Tynecastle.

Got the ball, but lots of the man, as well.

• 1 month later...

This is from RAWK.

(Steven Gerrard)

Can you imagine the weight on this man's shoulders? The sheer burden on this Atlas, lugging around the hopes and dreams of millions of Liverpool supporters worldwide for all this time? The critical mass of his own dreams and hopes of glory for his own club? It's not measurable. It's not comparable to things you and I have experienced or ever will. His rewards have been great - the luxury and comfort of a great life, the acclaim - but the weight on his shoulders? The screaming catcalls of his inferiors mocking his every mistake at every turn, thousands of horrible cretins giving him two fingers, emptying the reservoirs of their abuse in his face, plastics eponymously laminating signs to commemorate an error that had almost nothing to do with them. He's a human being and all these barbs left their marks, surely.

But he's so much more than a man, isn't he? He is an avatar of our potential greatness manifest. People will argue that he was born great, but this discounts the countless hours he spent breaking himself down and building himself up again, getting himself fit for club and country year after year after year. Never failing to answer the call when it rang out across the commons.

I am a soft c*nt, sitting here with wet eyes trying to find words worthy of a man who has meant so much to me. That goal against West Ham, the violence of that strike, a howitzer like I've never seen before, in a moment when mere mortals would have sh*t themselves to death. And coming hot on the heels of number 5 a year earlier. It felt like we had turned a corner and would never stop winning things again. It didn't work out that way.

BUT ...

You say the word "Istanbul" in this context enough times, it becomes nearly a cliche. Our enemies and naysayers far and wide remind us that it was 10 years ago and ask what we have done for them lately. We know better, don't we? Miracles never devolve into the mundane - they are, by their nature, eternal, immortal. We had no business winning that title. We could have folded at any point and no one would have blamed us. We were undermanned, overmatched, at just about every stage of that tournament.

But we had Steven Gerrard, and that made all the difference. That always made all the difference. He always made all the difference. His imperfections and mistakes kept him close to us, because he was and is one of us. He's only human. But he's so much more than that.