So why is the opening ceremony at 'Sellik Park'?

Now I know a lot of us are pissed of at this but for the life of me I cant find anyone saying what the actual reason was for the decision. So why was Sellik Park chosen for the opening ceremony when the natural choice was Hampden? I believe this is the first time ever an opening and closing ceremony has been at different venues for a Commonwealth or Olympic games.

Ive heard that over a million pounds of taxpayers money has been spend on getting Sellik Park up to the mark....while a more than adequaite Hampden stadium 4 miles away lies empty tonight.

As a taxpayer I would feel the same if Ibrox was the venue.

Who made the decison?

Why? Am I missing something?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

capacity is only 35,000 for opening ceremony.

Aye I'd heard that. But I imagine the work that is getting done to the paedo dome, which has reduced the capacity, would need to be done elsewhere as well so would bring, for example, Ibrox or Hampden down as well. But that's just an assumption.

From what I gather the excuse is that it has the biggest capacity.

The odd thing is im sure the capacity is restricted to 40k :lol: We all know the real reason why the opening ceremony is at Celtic...And it's nothing to do with capacity.

The tri-colour better be down intime for the Queen's visit.

It's certainly an odd one. Presumably a lot of that money is on temporary things like video screens and pitch coverings?

Playing devil's advocate, I suppose if you have as many large stadia as Glasgow has it makes sense to use them. Opening ceremony does seem like a strange one but as I said in another thread, nobody gives a shit about them anyway.

The defender of our faith in the piggery sickens they cunts more than me. When they are asked to stand for the national anthem, clearly.it will be both, either bheggars will have to stand for her or show total disrespect for her majesty and again will show them up on world wide stage. I wonder if they will boo the anthem. I hope the bastards do. Scotlands shame. We win either.way imo

IIRC the excuses given were biggest stadium and proximity to the athletes village making logistics easier for the OS. Not that I buy that.

Had this happened years ago I think we would have had the the midden doing one, I brox doing the other while Hampden would be used for the Athletics. Now that C****c and the council get on so well, big Peter has sold out the republicans who support that club for nothing more than money. (tu)

Good opportunity to wind up a few that revelled in our troubles, we have both Integrity and Principals on our side :7325:

Should be a great time for the city of Glasgow and Scotland as a whole, unfortunately their hijacking of the opening cermony has taken the shine right of it for me :ph34r:

Even with those big bits of coloured plastic sheeting Parkheid still looks like an abortion of a stadium. Reminds me of a big piece of wire mesh held up by large Kirby grips.

Noticed too when David Cameron was asked what he hoped for the games he said for them to be "successful and peaceful."

Maybe he's aware of the tims reputation for trying to disrupt British traditions ?