Home nations Tournament confirmed

Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland have announced plans to hold an international tournament in 2011.

The Four Associations Tournament will take place in Dublin, with a league format seeing two matches played in February, with a further four in May.

"I'm delighted this has become a reality," said Scottish FA president George Peat.

"This new event will celebrate the game and give our fans a great experience."

There have been discussions for some time over a proposed Celtic Cup between the nations, with the idea of a biennial tournament agreed in principal.

The English FA were asked if they wished to take part in such an event, but they declined.

John Delaney, chief executive of the Football Association of Ireland said he was delighted his country would be staging the tournament.

"This will be the first time Ireland has hosted a senior international tournament and the atmosphere around Dublin will be tremendous with all the travelling fans," he said.

"With so many connections between the countries there are bragging rights at stake, and it's sure to grab the attention of people across the UK and Ireland."

Wales hosted the initial meeting in November 2007 to discuss the possibility of a modernised format of the old British International Tournament.

"We look forward to crossing swords with our two cousins across the Irish Sea, as well as Scotland in a friendly rivalry," said Welsh FA president Peter Rees.

And the chief executive of the the Northern Irish FA Howard Wells said he viewed the event as an opportunity to measure the progress of the countries at international level.

"It also gives fans a chance to see first class competition live, and within easy access," added Wells.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/7623975.stm

would have liked england to be in it, would have been a chance for us to get some silverware at last :lol:

can see why the FA have rejected it though, more fixtures and more chance of injury, and in the middle of the season as well, plus i just cant see the english players being masively interest which would only kick off the whole rift between england and the fans once again.

seems a bit pointless, but if it is continued it could become more fiercely competed and more of a tradition than a trial tournament.

Guest Andypendek

I'm all for it. Sounds like an excuse for a party! Forced to sit in a pub, watching Wales v Norn Irn, with heaps of equally drunk fellow...errrr....persons of pictish or similar descent.