Guillem on Zabaleta

Boab

As some of you have already noticed, we've merged the Ask Guillem section of the site with the blog. The idea is that you can keep your questions and opinions coming in, and I can deal with whatever it is that's got everybody talking in future blogs.

Naturally, the majority of questions we've had this week have involved the latest transfers from La Liga to the Premiership, with many of you wanting to hear my views on various players. We had a look at Albert Riera and Xisco yesterday, and today it's the turn of Pablo Zabaleta who has just joined Manchester City from Espanyol in a five-year deal.

I can tell you that Mark Hughes has been monitoring the Argentine full back for some time: I was sat alongside the Man City coach, and Mark Bowen, a while back - when Hughes was at Blackburn - and the pair were scouting the player in an Espanyol match against Atletico Madrid at Montjuic.

Hughes was taking lots of notes throughout the game and asked me all sorts of questions about the player, wanting to know absolutely everything I knew about him. I know Hughes was particularly impressed with the quality of the 23 year old's forward runs, his strength and character out on the pitch.

City had faced competition from Juventus for the player's signature, but as it turned out that the Premiership side's superior wage offer was decisive.

Zabaleta was Argentina's under-20's captain in their successful 2005 FIFA World Youth Championship and joined RCD Espanyol for €3 million later that year. He also earned his first call up to the Argentine senior side in 2005 and, most recently, was a member of Argentina's Gold medal winning squad at the Beijing Olympics.

The fact that he is Argentine is worth noting - as you know what you are getting when you sign an Argentine footballer: they are normally consistent, always determined, competitive and often pretty tough characters. I joked on Revista last night that every decent side should have one, and it's true. In that sense, Zabaleta is a typically Argentine footballer.

He's got a good footballing brain: he may not be the quickest going forward, but he knows when to go forward, is effective with his use of the ball and he crosses well.

His intelligence and character combine to make him a natural leader, and the kind of player that other players like to have alongside them out on the pitch: in other words, he is always reliable, always there for his team mates and, even when things aren't going well, he never goes missing and will always make himself available for the pass.

He'll provide balance and stability, particularly important when you start adding players like Robinho to the side.

In fact, now I stop to think about it, the only time I have ever really seen Zabaleta really struggle in a game - was against Lionel Messi. And there's no shame in that.

http://www.guillembalague.com/blog_desp.php?id=67

Maybe losing Corluka won't be such a big loss.

"He'll provide balance and stability, particularly important when you start adding players like Robinho to the side."

Gab hasnt half changed his tune regarding Robinho!

I do like Zabaleta, a versatile player who is pretty reliable. He aint no Corulka (God, i love that guy) but he's a decent enough replacement.