Real Madrid Legend Jorge Valdano confirms Mourinho is a knob

AlCapone

The legend that is Jorge Valdano tears into the 'classless trophyless one' interesting read

http://www.ibtimes.c...ourinho-1464699

Real Madrid legend and former general director Jorge Valdano has hit back at Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho after the pair enjoyed a simmering relationship during their time together at the Santiago Bernabeu.

Some reports in Spain even claimed the Portuguese boss wanted Real Madrid president Florentino Perez to release Valdano from his job during his tenure in La Liga – with the club eventually sacking the legend and strengthening Mourinho's position at the Santiago Bernabeu.

Valdano took revenge in his latest book, The Eleven Powers Of The Leader, to heavily criticise his former Real Madrid colleague.

"I've never heard in public or in private a football statement from Mourinho worthy to be remembered," Valdano wrote, "He is a character tailored to these noisy and empty times.

I couldn't understand him because he is in the antipodes of my sensitivity. Intelligence and ego are enemies. And when they collide, the ego wins."

The Real Madrid legend also slated the Chelsea manager by comparing his achievements with Bayern Munich and former Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola.

"If Guardiola is Mozart, Mourinho is [italian composer Antonio] Salieri. He would be a great musician if there were no Mozart," Valdano added.

Valdano won the World Cup with Argentina in 1986 alongside Diego Maradona, while he coached Real Madrid to the Spanish league title in 1995 before becoming the general director of the club during two different spells.

He spent time at the Santiago Bernabeu as a footballer between 1984 and 1987, winning La Liga twice, and is one of the most important pundits in Spain, covering issues about Real Madrid.

"He is a character tailored to these noisy and empty times. I couldn't understand him because he is in the antipodes of my sensitivity. Intelligence and ego are enemies. And when they collide, the ego wins."

That's probably one of the classiest put-downs I've heard. These auld latin types know how to dishonour you in style.

Valdano is a smart man who thinks that football is about pleasure. Mourinho is a smart man who thinks that football is about winning, and if pleasure comes from that then great. They were obviously never going to get on. Valdano seems a tad bitter, which is understandable. He has given years of service and great success to Real Madrid and was pushed out to please Mourinho, who presided over one of their relatively less successful periods on the pitch, and one of their least edifying periods from an image point of view. Mourinho is Mourinho though. Valdano would be better off directing his anger towards his club, who were happy to throw him under the bus to please somebody who was never going to be sticking around.

Valdano would be better off directing his anger towards his club, who were happy to throw him under the bus to please somebody who was never going to be sticking around.

I'm not sure if I'm right in thinking this but something I've always thought about mainland European countries, mostly in Spain and Italy, is that they are often a lot less sentimental when it comes to weighing up success against loyalty.

You notice a lot more players jumping between rival clubs over in these countries than you do in Britain, and especially Scotland.

I remember reading a bit of Andrea Pirlo's book and he was very unemotional about the choice between jumping from Juve (I think) to Milan (or maybe vice-versa) when the bribing scandal was going on and they were possibly going to be going down.

I'm not sure if I'm right in thinking this but something I've always thought about mainland European countries, mostly in Spain and Italy, is that they are often a lot less sentimental when it comes to weighing up success against loyalty.

You notice a lot more players jumping between rival clubs over in these countries than you do in Britain, and especially Scotland.

I remember reading a bit of Andrea Pirlo's book and he was very unemotional about the choice between jumping from Juve (I think) to Milan (or maybe vice-versa) when the bribing scandal was going on and they were possibly going to be going down.

He was already at Milan when it happened, and had never played for Juve at the time.

He was already at Milan when it happened, and had never played for Juve at the time.

As I said, it's from memory. It must've been that when he was at Milan he'd thought about jumping ship from them if they'd went down as he didn't see why someone in their prime shouldn't be playing at the top level.

As I said, it's from memory. It must've been that when he was at Milan he'd thought about jumping ship from them if they'd went down as he didn't see why someone in their prime shouldn't be playing at the top level.

That's probably what it was. He had already jumped ship from Inter to Milan at that point.

fans are the only ones to show loyalty tbh, look at figo from barca to real, the clubs couldnt have given two fucks but the fans were fucking livid

Barcelona had no say in it. According to Sid Lowe, Figo signed a frankly very dodgy agreement with Florentino Perez that said that if Perez was elected president of Real, Figo would move when Perez triggered his buy-out clause. The deal was that Figo got a fat cheque even if Perez wasn't elected, and he wouldn't have to leave Barcelona. Nobody thought Perez would defeat the incumbent president, least of all the apparently very stupid and very greedy Figo, who thought he was making easy money. But Perez won, mostly because he publicly promised that he would sign Figo, and he then matched Figo's buy-out clause, by which point Figo was shitting himself and had no way out. Barcelona would have had to pay £20 as a penalty for breaking the buy-out clause rule.

So it's not that the two rival clubs colluded over the heads of the fans. It was just a political fuck-up by Figo.

That's probably what it was. He had already jumped ship from Inter to Milan at that point.

I managed to find the bit in his book:-

"It seemed that certain people at Milan had got themselves into one too many scrapes- or at least that was the story doing the round.One day you read that we were going to be relegated to Serie B, the next thing we were looking at a 15 point penalty. The next again day they'd be talking about us handing back trophies and having our titles removed from the record books (Sound familiar, anyone?)...The whole thing was a shambles. Nobody, least of all me, had a clue what was going on and what Milan's fate would be. One thing I was sure of, though: I would never drop down to Serie B. And if I had to leave, I wouldn't feel like a traitor. You always want to be ambitious and play for a noble cause. There was no way I was going to pay for other people's sins, if that's what they turned out to be."

Although, to be fair, he does go on to say in his book that after ten years with Milan he couldn't have gone back to Inter when Leonardo (ex Milan player) asked him.

I remember years ago some European player remarking that he found it strange the emphasis we in Britain put on players not moving to rivals.

To be honest its worst in Italy. Most of the "stars" of Serie A have played for multiple clubs.

Seriously, its ridiculous.

Ibra, Davids and Pirlo played for Juve, Inter, and AC.

Balotelli, Ronaldo, Zambrotta etc. played for 2 of them.

How can you have a serious rivalry when most of the big stars of the league have played for all the big teams?