Hartley turns down Cardiff Job

Siam69

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29251325

BBC Scotland

Dundee boss Paul Hartley has turned down the opportunity to manage Cardiff City, BBC Scotland has learned.

The Welsh club contacted Dundee to speak to Hartley, 37, about replacing Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, who stepped down as manager after nine months in charge.

"Manager Paul Hartley has long-term plans to stay at Dundee Football Club," the club said in a statement.

"Paul is committed to the club and is looking forward and focused on the upcoming derby matches this week."

“The club and Paul see the solid foundation which has already been put in place as the beginning of a long-term plan which will see Paul at the helm of the club for years to come”

Hartley left Alloa Athletic to take over at Dens Park in February.

Under the former Scotland midfielder, Dundee are unbeaten in six Scottish Premiership games this season.

"As a club, we are not surprised that speculation linking Paul to other clubs has come up due to the fantastic job he continues to do at Dens Park," added the Dens Park club.

"The club and Paul see the solid foundation which has already been put in place as the beginning of a long-term plan which will see Paul at the helm of the club for years to come."

Speculation had mounted that Solskjaer would be sacked by Cardiff owner Vincent Tan after winning only two of their opening seven games in the English Championship this season.

Solskjaer, 41, decided to step down after holding talks with chairman Mehmet Dalman.

Good on him, Going to a job like that will only spell disaster for whoever takes it.

imo he's a loonball for not taking it, even if he took cardiff to the playoffs (given where they are the now) his stock would rocket in england, instead he's staying at a tiny 2nd rate dundee club in a league where they will hope to simply avoid relegation

imo he's a loonball for not taking it, even if he took cardiff to the playoffs (given where they are the now) his stock would rocket in england, instead he's staying at a tiny 2nd rate dundee club in a league where they will hope to simply avoid relegation

I dont think Alex Ferguson could get Cardiff into the play offs nevermind Paul Hartley, A club severely on a downward spiral.

My thinking, as well.

I'll never forget him seriously and intentionally raking Barry's dodgy ankle with his studs in a game against them, scum!

Barry had a few digs at him too, grew up the best of pals and still are very close, its the nature of the divide omce you cross the white lines, two tribes going to war, no more no less

Iirc he was close to coming to rangers after the ricarton 3 nonsense. However, his boyhood heroes, the tarriers came in first. No hassles for me.

A decent player, done the easy things well. Like lambert.

He's only had like less than a 100 games as a manager, he done well, but, I'm questioning if he that good.

I'm sure he will do well at Dundee, but he not really up against a lot up there does he?