Race to the bottom

quinty

From the STV website:

The Scottish FA have confirmed the parachute payments available for top-flight clubs, in the event of their defeat in the playoffs.

Relegation play-offs have returned in the top flight this season, and have proved popular with supporters, especially as the 2013/14 campaign has seen five clubs competing to stay out of eleventh spot.

The team which finishes second-from-bottom in the Premiership will face a two-legged play-off against the team that emerges from a three-way play-off in the Scottish Championship.

Should the Championship team prevail, then the Premiership side will be relegated to the second-tier. In previous seasons there had been serious financial repercussions from dropping from the top-flight, with guaranteed prize money in the Premiership worth ten times that of even the winner of the second tier.

As a result, the Scottish FA had taken steps to reduce that burden. Parachute payments were already in place for the club which finished bottom. From this season, those parachute payments would also extend to a team relegated via the playoffs, and be funded by the SFA.

Speaking to the SFA website, Stewart Regan said: "What the Scottish FA agreed to do was to put in place a funding package of £500,000 in the first season that a club was relegated and £250,000 in the second season. We agreed to do that over a two-year period."

The governing body confirmed that in the event of the eleventh placed team being relegated, they would receive a parachute payment of £500,000. If they fail to achieve promotion in the following season, they would then receive another payment of £250,000 the year afterwards.

These plans provide clubs with a two-year financial safety blanker in the event of their relegation from the Premiership.

great idea, lets reward failure, hated the EPL doing this so its only natural that the scottish game would copy this nonsense

the funny thing is its not 500k down there its 50million, hahahaha, I dispise the scottish game, I wish were able to move.

I hate the ridiculous playoff for the top tier. It is so obviously weighted in favour of the top flight side that it will probably be a rarity for them to go down.

They should have it the same as the other playoffs.

I agree but it's nowhere near as bad as the proposals from last year that could have seen no team ever get relegated with a top league of 12 splitting into a top 8 and a bottom 4 that then played in a league playoff with the top 4 from 1st division.

I agree but it's nowhere near as bad as the proposals from last year that could have seen no team ever get relegated with a top league of 12 splitting into a top 8 and a bottom 4 that then played in a league playoff with the top 4 from 1st division.

That was just madness! And some chairmen thought it was a good idea...

IMO the top flight should be easier to get into for the 2nd tier clubs, it helps keep the top flight fresh.