John Terry's contract

A lot of speculation Terry's been offered a one year extension by Chelsea but asked to take about a 50% wage cut.

If true should he tell them to stick it or accept the offer so he can stay at the club he's been at his whole career?

He is getting older on one hand and a year ago I'd have said he'd be lucky to get any contract offer with injuries and barley getting picked. But he's been one of their best players this season, the heart and leader of a solid defence. I think it seems a bit shite of Chelsea if they've asked him to take that much of a cut, he obviously doesn't need the money but with the way football is these days it's probably more to do with the principle i'm thinking that

I think asking players (especially a club legend) to take a wage cut when you have the money and would just rather to give it to someone else is just insulting. If he's good enough to deserve the extra year - if they still feel he can do the same job he's doing now - then he should be paid accordingly. If they don't think he's worth his wage then fair enough. Don't offer him a new contract. If he's going to be expected to do the same amount of training, be available to be picked by the manager for as many games as the manager wants, and to put in the same effort as he has this season then why the hell should he be paid less than he is being paid this season?

Of course he doesn't need the money but it's the principle of the thing. Fans pay to watch the players. They are the product, and if they generate money then they should get their fair share of it.

It's hardly insulting, :lol:

He's 33-34 and can't expect to be paid over 100 grand by anyone. If he is enjoying his football and club then a wage cut shouldn't be too hard, if he wants the most money then he can go stagnate in the states or Asia.

FFP means older players on silly money is just not going to happen anymore especially when the sell on value is so low.

It's hardly insulting, :lol:

He's 33-34 and can't expect to be paid over 100 grand by anyone. If he is enjoying his football and club then a wage cut shouldn't be too hard, if he wants the most money then he can go stagnate in the states or Asia.

FFP means older players on silly money is just not going to happen anymore especially when the sell on value is so low.

Why can't he be expected to be paid what he is currently being paid? He's playing better this season than he did last season. Why should his salary drop if his performances haven't? If he's not good enough for the wage then he shouldn't be good enough for the team at all. If he's good enough to start as captain for a top team then he's entitled to expect to be earning the wage of a starting captain of a top team. It's a one year extension. They're hardly tying themselves to a depreciating asset.

Why can't he be expected to be paid what he is currently being paid? He's playing better this season than he did last season. Why should his salary drop if his performances haven't? If he's not good enough for the wage then he shouldn't be good enough for the team at all. If he's good enough to start as captain for a top team then he's entitled to expect to be earning the wage of a starting captain of a top team. It's a one year extension. They're hardly tying themselves to a depreciating asset.

A footballers age and value come into play when they are over 30, it makes no financial sense for a club to offer those players over 100 grand. There's no sell on value at all and with FFP it's not ideal to have them on that money.

What Chelsea are doing is quite right and I hope they stick to their guns.

A footballers age and value come into play when they are over 30, it makes no financial sense for a club to offer those players over 100 grand. There's no sell on value at all and with FFP it's not ideal to have them on that money.

What Chelsea are doing is quite right and I hope they stick to their guns.

It makes no sense to offer any player over £100 grand, except that's the general ballpark of a top footballer's wage now, so that's what you have to pay. If he's worth £100,000, he can get it from another club. If he can do the job of a £100,000 defender, and he is already on £100,000, and he has given you no reason to think he is providing less value for money than he did when he was offered £100,000 then I see no non-insulting reason to cut his wage in half. If they think £100,000 is better spent elsewhere then why not spend it elsewhere and let him go. Asking him to take a cut puts him in the position where he looks disloyal and like a money-grabber if he turns it down.

Did the same thing not happen with Lampard recently? Something about Chelsea having a new policy stating older players would not be offered long contracts and having to accept reduced terms if over a certain age.

Seem to remember when AVB came in there was something about trying to disolve the player power in the dressing room because the old school were dictating to management.

With Mourinho in charge I reckon he will do the best by Terry considering their history.

If Terry stays, a new contract with bonus for games played and a results and performance bonus would be the way to go.

A lot of speculation Terry's been offered a one year extension by Chelsea but asked to take about a 50% wage cut.

If true should he tell them to stick it or accept the offer so he can stay at the club he's been at his whole career?

He is getting older on one hand and a year ago I'd have said he'd be lucky to get any contract offer with injuries and barley getting picked. But he's been one of their best players this season, the heart and leader of a solid defence. I think it seems a bit shite of Chelsea if they've asked him to take that much of a cut, he obviously doesn't need the money but with the way football is these days it's probably more to do with the principle i'm thinking that

Footballers always need the money, he will go to who ever offers him the best deal

I think asking players (especially a club legend) to take a wage cut when you have the money and would just rather to give it to someone else is just insulting. If he's good enough to deserve the extra year - if they still feel he can do the same job he's doing now - then he should be paid accordingly. If they don't think he's worth his wage then fair enough. Don't offer him a new contract. If he's going to be expected to do the same amount of training, be available to be picked by the manager for as many games as the manager wants, and to put in the same effort as he has this season then why the hell should he be paid less than he is being paid this season?

Of course he doesn't need the money but it's the principle of the thing. Fans pay to watch the players. They are the product, and if they generate money then they should get their fair share of it.

I get the 'principle' of it all and agree. But in this case, with Terry especially, they're probably looking at the realistic aspect of it all. He's 34 this year, prone to more injuries, not got long left and if, God forbid (from Chelsea's point of view), he's injured for long periods he's costing the club an absolute fortune.

Like I said, I get the principle, but they're probably appealing to his loyal and realistic side.