Sir Alex

nice to read

todays Mirror

Tough nut Sir Alex Ferguson shows he has a soft side with a compassionate letter to rival manager Harry.

BEFORE Sir Alex Ferguson took off for a well-earned break in France this summer he insisted on writing a touching, personal letter to Harry Redknapp.

The contents reveal a compassionate side to Ferguson few fans would recognise.

But it didn’t surprise Redknapp, whose Portsmouth side face Manchester United in today’s Community Shield at Wembley.

Redknapp’s team went from strength to strength last season, culminating in victory in the FA Cup Final in May.

But off-the-pitch Harry had to deal with the death of his wife’s twin sister Pat, the mother of Chelsea’s Frank Lampard. Her passing left them all devastated.

Naturally, those in the football community close to him phoned and passed on their heart felt condolences. But only Ferguson took the time and trouble to write.

“To be honest, it didn’t really surprise me,” insisted Redknapp.

“It was a lovely touch. The letter was very personal and a great deal of thought had gone into its contents.

“He included my wife Sandra, young Frank and the family in general.

“What’s more, he meant every word of it and that means a great deal to me.

“But that’s Sir Alex for you. It’s probably a side you don’t see too much but one everyone in football knows about.

He's always been very good with his time to help Govan and the BB so his compassionate side should be no surprise to anyone up here. It would have been very easy for him to turn his back on his roots or say he was just too busy to get involved but he didn't ... so I say long live the king :king: