Spurs sign Pavlyuchenko

mrmytto

Tottenham Hotspur have reached an agreement to sign Russian striker Roman Pavlyuchenko from Spartak Moscow.

The 26-year-old arrives at White Hart Lane for a reported fee of £14m.

Pavlyuchenko, who had already confirmed the deal was "practically settled" earlier in the week, was Russia's top scorer at Euro 2008.

He scored three goals as they reached the semi-finals, and also netted twice in a 2-1 win over England in a qualifying match in October 2007.

"Everything has happened very quickly so I could not even say goodbye to my team-mates," Pavlyuchenko said before leaving Russia to sign his contract in London. I watched him the Euros and he was excellent, he's a great signing for this club

Jonathan Woodgate

"I could not decide if I wanted to go to England at first - first yes, then no," he added.

"The only thing that stopped me from leaving was my family. But now all doubts are behind me and I decided to sign a contract with Tottenham."

Pavlyuchenko's new team-mate, defender Jonathan Woodgate, praised the striker's international form.

"He's a top player. I watched him at the Euros and he was excellent, he's a great signing for this club," said Woodgate.

"He'll bring a lot of goals, he's big, he's good in the air and he's good with his feet."

Spurs have been searching for a striker as a replacement for Robbie Keane, who joined Liverpool for £20.3m this summer, and will look to Pavlyuchenko to rescue their poor start to the season.

New options up front will be welcome, with Jermaine Jenas the only Spurs player to have found the back of the net in their opening two matches, both of which ended in defeat. 606: DEBATE

Will Pavlyuchenko be a success in the Premier League?

Pavlyuchenko's arrival comes a day after Zenit St Petersburg claimed Tottenham were £6m below their valuation of Russia's other Euro 2008 star, Andrei Arshavin.

And Dimitar Berbatov looks set to leave the club before the end of the current transfer window on 1 September, having been heavily linked with a move to Manchester United.

Keane for 20million compared to this 14m signing is incredible!

Great signing!

Keane is rubbish IMO.

I know!

Liverpool got bammed there.

20 Million for a dud like him doh

They could have taken Cousin for that. :craphead: