Bullard called into England squad

Boab

Jimmy Bullard has been included in the England squad for the first time for the forthcoming World Cup qualifiers away to Andorra and Croatia.

The Fulham midfielder gets his chance with Steven Gerrard, Owen Hargreaves and Michael Carrick all out injured.

Michael Owen and Jonathan Woodgate have been left out and Portsmouth's Peter Crouch misses out on a place again.

Robert Green and Joleon Lescott return and David Beckham and Theo Walcott are also in Fabio Capello's 23-man party.

Walcott is one of four strikers named by the Italian, along with Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney and Jermain Defoe.

But Owen was omitted despite Capello watching him from the stands at the Emirates during Newcastle's defeat by Arsenal on Saturday.

Glen Johnson is included as cover for Wes Brown at right-back with Micah Richards, who was originally chosen for the under-21 side, another injury victim.

Bullard's call-up completes a remarkable recovery from a career-threatening cruciate ligament injury which he suffered almost exactly two years ago. He was out of the game for 15 months before returning to play a crucial part in Fulham's Premier League survival last season.

Speaking before the squad was announced, Capello told the FA's website that no-one was guaranteed a starting place, saying: "No-one is untouchable, not the captain, the vice-captain, no-one."

England play Andorra in Barcelona's Olympic Stadium at 1900 BST on Saturday evening and then travel to Zagreb for their second qualifier against Croatia on Wednesday, 10 September at 2000 BST.

England squad to play Andorra and Croatia:

Robinson (Blackburn), James (Portsmouth), Green (West Ham); Lescott (Everton), Bridge (Chelsea), A Cole (Chelsea), Terry (Chelsea), Brown (Manchester United), Ferdinand (Manchester United), Johnson (Portsmouth), Upson (West Ham); Barry (Aston Villa), J Cole (Chelsea), Lampard (Chelsea), Bullard (Fulham), Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy), Downing (Middlesbrough), Bentley (Tottenham), Jenas (Tottenham); Walcott (Arsenal), Rooney (Manchester United), Defoe (Portsmouth), Heskey (Wigan).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/7591011.stm

Absolutely delighted with this :)

As a Wigan fan I have followed Bullards career for a number of years and I think that for him to come back from a career threatening injury, be the main man that got Fulham out of trouble and then get a call up for the full England squad shows that there is so much more to him than just being a joker.

I'm actually tempted to put my old Bullard sig back up in celebration :craphead: