Cricket

We've tried this before and the thread just petered out - I can't even find it using the search option! Thought we'd try again - we have a number of posters in here who keep an eye on the cricket now and again and the world cup thread kept going throughout it.

Ongoing series:

West Indies v England

Bangladesh v Pakistan

Indian Premier League

Anyone been watching?

Anyone playing this summer somewhere in Scotland? I've decided to join a club again after a number of years out.

Marlon Samuels :lol:

samuels_3279238b.jpg

Did you see the article in the Telegraph this morning on this? Suggesting Samuels is a coward :lol:.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/11560155/Send-offs-like-Marlon-Samuels-salute-are-the-most-cowardly-acts-in-cricket.html

Bizarre stance. The English have been amongst the most aggressive, arrogant and distasteful sledgers in cricket over the last 30-40 years. No issues with what Samuels did. He'll face the chin music when he goes out to bat in the next innings and it's exciting for test cricket!

We need more of it IMO. Obviously there is a line and the umpire is there to ensure it is not crossed, but there was nothing in this.

Did you see the article in the Telegraph this morning on this? Suggesting Samuels is a coward :lol:.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/11560155/Send-offs-like-Marlon-Samuels-salute-are-the-most-cowardly-acts-in-cricket.html

Bizarre stance. The English have been amongst the most aggressive, arrogant and distasteful sledgers in cricket over the last 30-40 years. No issues with what Samuels did. He'll face the chin music when he goes out to bat in the next innings and it's exciting for test cricket!

We need more of it IMO. Obviously there is a line and the umpire is there to ensure it is not crossed, but there was nothing in this.

Samuels is a character and I enjoy watching him but basically most teams use sledging to wind up their opponents and try and gain a wee edge on them,it's just part of the game now and as longs as it doesn't get abusive who cares.

Samuels is a character and I enjoy watching him but basically most teams use sledging to wind up their opponents and try and gain a wee edge on them,it's just part of the game now and as longs as it doesn't get abusive who cares.

Exactly. It's become as much a part of the game as a front foot cover drive.

Jimmy Anderson just cost Joe Root a double century :lol:.

Good win for England but there are still so many question marks over this team.

Cook shouldn't be captain

Trott shouldn't open

Jordan and Stokes can't be in the same team

Is Ali really good enough to be a front line test match bowler?

The KP question

Agreed on all counts.

Cook should probably resign the captaincy and focus on his batting. He's not a great captain, and it's clearly hurting his batting.

Trott just doesn't look comfortable opening. It would make sense for England if they didn't have Lyth scoring silly runs in County Cricket but they do.

Jordan and Stokes offer the same thing to the team. They're both third seamers that can bat down the order. To me Stokes is better at both so I'd hold him. England's bowling attack is four seamers who all bowl the same medium fast pace and it won't be good enough against a reasonable side. Jordan also gives away far too many free runs by being unable to bowl consistently where he's aiming. It baffles me he's playing Test Cricket with such obvious flaws in his technique.

Mo Ali is a very useful spinner, but I don't think he's nearly good enough to be the frontline spinner. If he scores enough runs to get picked as a batsman he'd be very useful to England, but he doesn't. England need to pick Rashid's leg spin, or Plunkett's pace; because Australia and New Zealand could bat all week against that attack.

Agreed on all counts.

Cook should probably resign the captaincy and focus on his batting. He's not a great captain, and it's clearly hurting his batting.

Trott just doesn't look comfortable opening. It would make sense for England if they didn't have Lyth scoring silly runs in County Cricket but they do.

Jordan and Stokes offer the same thing to the team. They're both third seamers that can bat down the order. To me Stokes is better at both so I'd hold him. England's bowling attack is four seamers who all bowl the same medium fast pace and it won't be good enough against a reasonable side. Jordan also gives away far too many free runs by being unable to bowl consistently where he's aiming. It baffles me he's playing Test Cricket with such obvious flaws in his technique.

Mo Ali is a very useful spinner, but I don't think he's nearly good enough to be the frontline spinner. If he scores enough runs to get picked as a batsman he'd be very useful to England, but he doesn't. England need to pick Rashid's leg spin, or Plunkett's pace; because Australia and New Zealand could bat all week against that attack.

Cook is far too defensive and doesn't need to be. Guess it's the scars of the last few test series where they've been battered.

I just find it bewildering that a guy has been out with depression for so long and they throw him back in at the deep end. It wouldn't have hurt them to let Ballance open and put Trott at 3, but it would have helped aid his reintegration to the team and test match cricket.

Agree on Plunkett or Rashid - whilst I don't particularly rate either of them at this level, the key is they both offer something a bit different.

An, admittedly pretty casual, Windies fan so was gutted to see them fall away after things were looking not bad after Day 4. Hopefully Taylor comes in for Roach in Barbados and can put England under a bit more pressure. A shame he was injured as I reckon he would have made a big difference, especially on Day 3 when the pitch started to turn.

played for first time this season captaining my team on Saturday and played for 2s yesterday. On above Cook should be sent home now removed as captain and told to find form in county cricket if he doesnt he isnt in ashes squad if he does bring him back in.

An, admittedly pretty casual, Windies fan so was gutted to see them fall away after things were looking not bad after Day 4. Hopefully Taylor comes in for Roach in Barbados and can put England under a bit more pressure. A shame he was injured as I reckon he would have made a big difference, especially on Day 3 when the pitch started to turn.

Shame he was injured though not sure of the impact he would have had.

Windies fan though eh, how did that come about? Grow up watching the great teams in the 70s/80s?

played for first time this season captaining my team on Saturday and played for 2s yesterday. On above Cook should be sent home now removed as captain and told to find form in county cricket if he doesnt he isnt in ashes squad if he does bring him back in.

On mobile so can't see, you in Glasgow?

I still haven't been down to my local club(well, one of) with membership form to join. I'm starting from scratch with kit etc because when I chucked it years ago I gave all my kit away.

It won't happen. He just won a test, that will buy him some time IMO.

On mobile so can't see, you in Glasgow?

I still haven't been down to my local club(well, one of) with membership form to join. I'm starting from scratch with kit etc because when I chucked it years ago I gave all my kit away.

It won't happen. He just won a test, that will buy him some time IMO.

Nah buddy in Borders we play in East League 1 on a Saturday and Border league on a Sunday. Play some decent teams plus have Kelso and Gala in the league 10 miles either side of us so less travelling this year to games always helps got a bit of a doing both days tbh but still good fun. Was dissapointed in a way that Cook got runs as you say this has bought him some more time. Listened to latest test match special podcast and Boycott was brilliant on the West Indies and Jonathon Trott.

Shame he was injured though not sure of the impact he would have had.

Windies fan though eh, how did that come about? Grow up watching the great teams in the 70s/80s?

It's a shame his career has been up and down because when he's on form, Taylor is right up there with the best pace men in the world. His 5/11 performance at Sabina Park during the last England Test series in the Caribbean is one of the most destructive test innings I have ever seen.

Haha sadly not, I was only born in 1992 so missed the great sides of the 70s and 80s but they were favourites of my Dad, which probably had a big influence on me. They were always my first choice on International Cricket Captain 2 for the PC when I was wee!

Well I am all signed up and registered for the T20 Blast Fantasy League.

T20BLAST.FANTASY.ECB.CO.UK

I took part last year and held my own but was no where near the top. When you sign up and pick your County Team you get the odd interesting email about ticket offers. Hampshire are doing a £99 Season Ticket for all their Home Games in the T20 and I thought that was excellent value. Just a pity I am over 450 mile away from the Rose Bowl ground..

Just noticed Steve Smith has fired the first salvo for the forthcoming Ashes on SSN. Looking forward to this. Hopefully a wee bit closer than the last one.

Nah buddy in Borders we play in East League 1 on a Saturday and Border league on a Sunday. Play some decent teams plus have Kelso and Gala in the league 10 miles either side of us so less travelling this year to games always helps got a bit of a doing both days tbh but still good fun. Was dissapointed in a way that Cook got runs as you say this has bought him some more time. Listened to latest test match special podcast and Boycott was brilliant on the West Indies and Jonathon Trott.

Fair enough.

Boycott is brilliant - always straight to the point, never holds back.

It's a shame his career has been up and down because when he's on form, Taylor is right up there with the best pace men in the world. His 5/11 performance at Sabina Park during the last England Test series in the Caribbean is one of the most destructive test innings I have ever seen.

Haha sadly not, I was only born in 1992 so missed the great sides of the 70s and 80s but they were favourites of my Dad, which probably had a big influence on me. They were always my first choice on International Cricket Captain 2 for the PC when I was wee!

ICC2 - what a game! :lol:.

Well I am all signed up and registered for the T20 Blast Fantasy League.

T20BLAST.FANTASY.ECB.CO.UK

I took part last year and held my own but was no where near the top. When you sign up and pick your County Team you get the odd interesting email about ticket offers. Hampshire are doing a £99 Season Ticket for all their Home Games in the T20 and I thought that was excellent value. Just a pity I am over 450 mile away from the Rose Bowl ground..

Just noticed Steve Smith has fired the first salvo for the forthcoming Ashes on SSN. Looking forward to this. Hopefully a wee bit closer than the last one.

That's decent. My mates got the student ST for Surrey games last season for £75 - bargain.

Congratulations to Captain Cook for 26th Hundred in Test Cricket. Cream always rises to the top. He has taken some stick (some deserved) but he has once again got to 3 figures. :clap: I salute you Sir and I have just fucking jinxed you..Out for 105.. doh

Congratulations to Captain Cook for 26th Hundred in Test Cricket. Cream always rises to the top. He has taken some stick (some deserved) but he has once again got to 3 figures. :clap: I salute you Sir and I have just fucking jinxed you..Out for 105.. doh

Good to see him back,watching him struggle in the last 18 months has been painful to watch.

Great innings today although his part in the Moeen Ali run out slightly tarnished it.