Current 'yugoslavia' Xi.

The Macedonian Darko Pancev and the Kosovan Stojanovic should have been in there somewhere too.

For the 1992 and 1994 Yugoslavia teams that never were.

These guys were like two of the main reasons that Red Star Belgrade won the European Cup in 1991. Another pointer that a unified Yugoslavia were destined for a great 1990s (Dragan Stojkovic also played against them for Marseille in the final).

As Tannerall said, however, guys like Suker, Jarni and especially Boban always saw themselves as 100% true Croatians.

NFC East champs my man!

Thought I'd poke my head in here with all the manager stuff going on- been busy with new job, grad school, and the ball & chain....(who am I kidding I've just been furiously J.O.-ing :( )

Don't I know it, they actually had a really good Season.

Good stuff, hope you stick around! (tu)

Shamefully stolen from Eurosport's Facebook page.

2vnpagi.jpg

Staying away from the political situation and such, what a side they would have been. The first World Cup I can remember was 98' and their side was more than decent then.

back in 1998 they already lost quite a few nations and were only made up of serbia and montenegro iirc

if you want to see a cracking yugoslavia side go back to the qualifiers for Euro 92, im sure yugoslavia were one of the top rated teams and if they didnt break apart before it they might have went on and caused an upset in winning the thing (like denamrk did who actually replaced them in the tournament)

I can't get the PES 2008 to load up on the PS2 or I could have posted a screenshot.

Will have to try from memory.

First XI would have been something like:

Kralj

Jugovic Bilic Mihajlovic Jarni

Dragan Stojkovic Boban Prosinecki

Savicevic Mijatovic Suker

They could well have won the 1998 World Cup as I think the last youth team of 1992 either won the Youth World Cup or got to the final.

EDITed to add subs:

Mrmic, Stimac, Simic, Soldo, Tudor, Dejan Stojkovic, Asanovic, Vlaovic, Milsosevic, Kovacevic.

Mostly made up of Croats but I guess that is mirrored by their third-place performance at France '98.

At that time, I think the Serbs and the Montenegrins(?) along with the Slovenians, Macedonians, Bosnians and Herzogovinians(?!) were still part of Yugoslav football association, if not the political country.

Croatia were first to go, a fiercely proud nation, and the break-up actually had a football flashpoint when Hadjuk Split (or Dynamo Zagreb) played Red Star Belgrade and Zvonimir Boban attacked the Serb Polis for attacking Croat fans. After that, Arkan of Milosevic's Tigers recruited football hoolgans to do their bidding (ethnic cleansing and general cannon fodder).

If I have offended any Croats of Serbs or anyone else I apologise in advance. My memory isn't what it used to be.

what a midfield trio ! World class !

i always thought prosinecki was the jimenez of world football at his time, he was a chain smoking centre mid (sure he smoked like a chimney) and seemingly like the bevvy, yet he strolled through games like they were training sessions

I'm sure your right jim, I remember some of that . Was looking on youtuearlier of dragon stojkovic wat a talent !

I'm sure your right jim, I remember some of that . Was looking on youtuearlier of dragon stojkovic wat a talent !

iirc every time he was pictured outside of football he had a fag in his mouth, a bird hanging off his arm and a drink nearby, or a fag in the mouth, a drink in his hand and a bird nearby lol