Parma

16 years ago. 16 years. <cr>

I forgot that Parma were the Uefa Cup holders when we beat them. And the Uefa Cup was a good bit stronger back then.

Absolutely, mate. Italy was the dominant force in Europe in the 1990s. Milan, Juventus, Lazio, Inter and Parma all won at least one European trophy round about that time. This was before the Spanish and Germans started to take control of the major European finals.

I just checked the details to see just how dominant the Italians were during the decade.

In the European Cup / Champions League, Italy had a team in the final every year from 1988/89 all the way through to 1998/99 except for 1990/91 when the great Red Star team won it against those cheats from the South of France.

Using the exact same timeframe, Italy had at least one team in the UEFA Cup final in every year except 1996, the Italians winning eight of those finals. Napoli, Juventus (twice), Inter (thrice) and Parma (twice).

Lazio also won the last Cup Winners Cup in 1999 and Parma were victorious in that competition in 1993 and runners-up the next year.

Now those are impressive stats by Italian teams in the 1990s.

I guess we already knew they were good. Juventus dished us out a few fair-old-skelpings in the Champions League that decade.

I think Parma are the only club who have had worse luck than ourselves with regards to crooked owners and a governing body who didn't give a shit.

They were dissolved in 2004 as well and have had a barrowload of La Spivios in charge ever since. Twice in two months, they were sold for one Euro... and one of the guys who 'bought' them never even paid up!

Italian 'businessmen,' Russian-Cypriot 'congolmerates, no-one at the Italian FA giving much of a hoot. Their fans have been treated like shit.

Spot on,Great club and fans,my favourite away trip with Rangers was to Parma,shit stadium but beautiful city and the people were very welcoming.

Absolutely, mate. Italy was the dominant force in Europe in the 1990s. Milan, Juventus, Lazio, Inter and Parma all won at least one European trophy round about that time. This was before the Spanish and Germans started to take control of the major European finals.

I just checked the details to see just how dominant the Italians were during the decade.

In the European Cup / Champions League, Italy had a team in the final every year from 1988/89 all the way through to 1998/99 except for 1990/91 when the great Red Star team won it against those cheats from the South of France.

Using the exact same timeframe, Italy had at least one team in the UEFA Cup final in every year except 1996, the Italians winning eight of those finals. Napoli, Juventus (twice), Inter (thrice) and Parma (twice).

Lazio also won the last Cup Winners Cup in 1999 and Parma were victorious in that competition in 1993 and runners-up the next year.

Now those are impressive stats by Italian teams in the 1990s.

I guess we already knew they were good. Juventus dished us out a few fair-old-skelpings in the Champions League that decade.

That's ridiculous! I remember Italian football being the strong, but I don't remember it being quite so marked.

I guess it was the late 90s that the TV money and worldwide merchandising really started to kick in and the EPL and one or two others started to take over (Bayern/Real/Barca) whilst the Italians drifted somewhat.

That club gave us an absolutely epic few games.

One of my best memories was beating them at ibrox with Vidmarband Reyna on the score sheet.

They were a team of galacticos back then.

Strange thing was pretty much all of the star players they had were brought through their youth system

Did all their problems not really begin to start when they were sponsored by the Dairy Company??..Things have definitely turned sour for them and something stinks!!??. Real shame for the Fans.

Did the Local paper back then not print a front page that was a photo of Bears with the Headline that roughly translated as "Enter the Pope Haters??"..when we were due to play the 2nd Leg??..

Did all their problems not really begin to start when they were sponsored by the Dairy Company??..Things have definitely turned sour for them and something stinks!!??. Real shame for the Fans.

Did the Local paper back then not print a front page that was a photo of Bears with the Headline that roughly translated as "Enter the Pope Haters??"..when we were due to play the 2nd Leg??..

Do not remember that headline,but remember the mayor stating that we were welcome back anytime,the game I attended ,if I remember correctly had an afternoon kick off for some reason

Thought that headline was Juve in the CL

• 1 month later...