Mears "finished" at Derby

Furious manager Paul Jewell insists Tyrone Mears is finished at Derby after the defender absconded for an unauthorised trial with Marseille.

The 25-year-old flew to France on Thursday after Jewell had refused to sanction a loan deal between the clubs.

And Jewell insisted: "To me, he's just insulted the whole football club - the players, the staff, chairman, but more importantly the supporters.

"I'll tell you now, he'll never play for Derby again while I'm manager."

Rams chairman of football Adam Pearson confirmed to BBC Radio Derby that Mears would be severely punished, but Jewell went further, insisting: "Who does he think he is? It's an absolute affront to Derby County. I am absolutely raging.

"I don't want him here. I don't want him here at the football club anymore, that's for sure. If he wants a move, he can go.

"When I found out what had happened I phoned him on his mobile and surprise, surprise he didn't answer.

"I left a message and told him he's made the biggest mistake of his life and to get himself back here as quick as possible.

"Tyrone Mears has no future at Derby. This is a brilliant place to work and he's just signed his death warrant."

Pearson added: "To take off without being given permission and go on trial beggars belief.

"There is little doubt he will be disciplined in the most severe way possible.

"We are prepared to sell him but the price will have to be right. He is a proven player with a transfer value."

Mears joined Derby for £1m in 2007 from West Ham after an initial loan spell

What an odd situation.