The Next Rangers Manager Thread.......

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McCall's interview on STV last night would suggest he's in the loop.

"I'll have a lot of things to think about over the coming weeks... Months, maybe even the end of the season"

He's King's man IMO

McCall's interview on STV last night would suggest he's in the loop.

"I'll have a lot of things to think about over the coming weeks... Months, maybe even the end of the season"

He's King's man IMO

He mentioned wanting to carry on with Scotland. I suspect he'd be happy to work as an assistant to someone and keep up his Scotland stuff too.

If mcdowell remains in charge then no chance of promotion. Board must bring someone in immediately even if short term fix. Amazed no media have questioned Davies about job and also suprised he's been out of work so long.

I honestly don't think the new board would be that daft to keep McDowell on surely

Billy Reid? What he did at Hamilton with the backing of the board has set them up. Brought youth into the team, played a good style of football and made millions when big clubs came in for their players. Not an exciting appointment but I'm not to enamoured with the thought of having McCall, McInnes and definitely not Davis

Walter Smith to steady the team and steer it to the end of the season - he is the only one I can think of that could take the current bunch of players and somehow turn them into a team that understands what it needs to do to win promotion and then do it. Once the outcome of the season is known then it its the Championship again then first choice would be McInnes if affordable but if not then McCall. Realistically it would be McCall since he is available and no compensation fee payable bearing in mind we still have to pay for McCoist until Dec

Utter facepalm yet afain,Walters a yesterday man and dont forget he thought Ally was a good shout for manager!! Despair all this ex gers man pish

The Herald had a 'source' on their front page of the sports section saying that they (King etc) hadn't spoken to anyone yet and were looking far and wide for the perfect candidate. Didn't want to rush an appointment. Take from that what you want.

Sincerely hope the next appointment is made on merit, as opposed to this "jobs for the lads" attitude. I wouldn't be surprised to see Magath come in until the end of the season to put rockets up arses and for a permanent appointment to be made in the summer. Magath and McCall together? Possible or codshit?

The Cathro thing is an absolute non-starter though, IMO

If the new board were going to appoint a new manager in the next couple of weeks it would almost certainly be McCall.

I like him but I don't really think he is what we need long term. I would rather we had someone from the continent that could overlook rebuilding the youth setup and would be an encyclopedia of potential signings as we have a threadbare scouting system at the club.

I'd like to see a lot of young lads from Europe coming in as well as the cream of Scottish talent.

McCall could be enough to get us through the playoffs though and maybe also get the groundwork down with rebuilding the first team as McDowell is completely incompetent at changing things on the fly and he sticks to the same gameplan on almost every occasion. McCall at least has some ability with tactics and he seems pretty good at bringing in guys from lesser clubs with talent for buttons.

I'm still not sure if the club will be operating on a very limited budget or if we can expect major spending. I'm not expecting £10m strikers from Italy or even megastar free transfers but I would be happy if we could sign guys that maybe didn't quite fit in at an English Premier League team but have a good overall track record or are in the English Championship and doing well. The best Premiership players from Scotland could fit in too.

It is hard to say exactly how much the team needs spent on it as it can be possible to bring in large numbers of free signings with quality, although the wage bill is usually higher or the team could buy young guys with potential that will accumulate in value.

I'd love to think that the club would spend upwards of £20m in players if we get promoted but I can't see that happening and I think the majority of money would be for wages rather than fees, so bringing in some good free agents or low fee signings is probably what we can expect.

Surely the likes of Boyd and Miller will be off the wage bill for next season and it should be possible to bring in some talent if we are operating on a higher budget than this season, even if it is not at normal Rangers levels.