Andy Murray-Greastest Scottish Sportsman?

The Nadal,Federer and Djokovic era has probably been the most competitive time in Men's tennis,so anything Murray has won he's done so against the best.

Lyle won Majors in an era competing against Trevino,Nicklaus, Watson, Faldo,Ballesteros, Strange, Norman,Floyd,Green,Crenshaw,Irwin,Zoeller, Stewart and Langer. All multiple major winners. No comparison.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was fantastic today and seems to be back to full fitness. I reckon he has to be the greatest ever Scottish sportsman ever! When you consider the competition he is up against, what he has achieved is incredible.

Fuck the little nationalist republican ginger haired cunt, I hope his mum rides the baws off him

This poster sasssaaa, him that claims he like tennis, but in reality only really cares about Rafa Nadal.. I personally used to give him credit for backing his player... But his last post about Murray shows him, to me, to be a fucking uneducated fool.

He has been embarrassed in this tennis thread many times, to the best of my knowledge has never actually seen top level tennis live.( if he has, well his statements are even worse).

Here's something everybody knows apart from you it seems..

Andy Murray is Scottish and British, lives in Surrey, going to marry an English girl, but had the balls to stand up at the last hour for what he thought was right at the referendum.

U sir, are the fuckin clown of this forum.

All that's true and I loved all those moments myself, but that changed my personal feelings towards him and it's not so easy to shrug them off. It's not as if I was expecting him to support my side in the debate, just maintain a neutral silence like he said he would while having his own private views.

Will be interesting to see if the Wimbledon crowd is any less enthusiastic this year, most likely not though.

I still support him. He made a cunt if himself, but who amongst us can say we haven't done that at some time or other. Bygones be bygones and all that jazz.

Although.... my own little bit of pettiness is that, despite wanting him to win, there's a little bit of me that would enjoy it if he was given a little bit of a hard time at Wimbledon. I think it would be difficult to blame the English fans if they withdrew their support for him, although I suspect that most will rise above that.

Stephen Hendry?

Used to think that too.. But If uncheck history about snooker, around I'd say 90% of world champions originate from Great Britain.

Does that water down his achievements?

Yes and no.

Yes, because he only really had to beat his peers from his nation really to win, although to be fair, he used to smash most with his ability..

And no. Because the current best player O' Sullivan used to struggle to beat an ageing Hendry, but can easily win titles left handed, take a year out and still win the world championship, to me, that coukd never happen 30 years ago.

Hendry was, is the greatest snooker has had, because the very fact his opponents were outstanding.

They were all from GB proves that he is up there , but surely not the best.

Jocky Wilson was better than Sandy Lyle or Hendry. At least he had charisma and all three don't count as proper sports.

Chris Hoy competes in a minority sport with multiple medals benefitting from huge lottery funding and cutting edge sports science. It's not even proper cycling like the Tour de France, just some meatheads chasing an old guy riding with a basket who looks like he's going to the shops in Hyndland or something. I'd put Robert Millar above Hoy,

Murray is easily the best Scottish sportsman in my lifetime. He's have at least six or seven slams had he been around in say the Lleyton Hewitt era rather than three of the best players ever. Just wish he'd sort his head out.

I'd have Jackie Stewart and Ken Buchanan up there too.

Someone who regularly plays four / five hours of relentless, physical, high-energy, individual gladiatorial combat against the three greatest players ever to play the sport... versus some guy who drives a motor.

Let me see.

One of them competed in a sport in which every competitor had at least a one in ten chance of being burned to a crisp, decapitated, crushed to death or impaled on a tree every year. The other one whacks a wee baw over a net and greets like fuck if he stubs his toe.

One of them is regarded the world over as one of the greatest (if not THE greatest)ever at his sport. The other is a torn faced tube.

Let me see.

One of them competed in a sport in which every competitor had at least a one in ten chance of being burned to a crisp, decapitated, crushed to death or impaled on a tree every year. The other one whacks a wee baw over a net and greets like fuck if he stubs his toe.

One of them is regarded the world over as one of the greatest (if not THE greatest)ever at his sport. The other is a torn faced tube.

What have the odds of death got to do with anything?