Ah, 'tis the celtc way

MCNEILL FURY AT 'LOST' JINKY FUNDS

CELTIC veteran Billy McNeill says he's "shattered" by claims the Lisbon Lions have been duped over a memorial fund for Jimmy Johnstone.

The team's European Cup-winning captain and his team-mates toured the country with a roadshow for the Jimmy Johnstone Motor Neurone Disease Tribute Fund.

But now organiser John Clifford has been accused of not banking the proceeds.

Jinky, who died of MND in March, spent his final years campaigning for more research into the incurable disease.

But apart from an initial £3000 payment to his widow Agnes the fund have since traced no donations from Clifford.

Last night McNeill, who appeared at a roadshow just two weeks ago, said: "I'm shattered. Jimmy was exceptional. We wouldn't have toured the country if we hadn't thought all the money went to his family.

"My belief was John Clifford made regular donations to the fund."

Twice-bankrupt Clifford, 47, of Newmains in Lanarkshire, befriended Jinky in 2001.

A fund spokesman said: "I advised Agnes to tell John Clifford to stop using Jimmy's name.

"If there have been all of these roadshows to raise money for the family, it has never reached us.

"He will phone up and say he has money, then he just doesn't turn up."

Clifford also failed to donate a four-figure sum to a Derry hospice after a roadshow in Donegal.

Supporters Clubs in Cleveland and Watford have also raised concerns about Clifford, claiming he asked they pay all funds to him in cash.

Another Story From A`Few Years Back ?

Celtic fans to replace missing money

Derry's Celtic No. 1 Supporters Club have organised two 'Nights at the Races' in order to replace money missing from a previous fundraising efforts for the Foyle Hospice.

Celtic supporters clubs from as far away as the Isle Of Man have indicated that they will be travelling to the event.

The Foyle Hospice say they have not yet received any of the £1,000 promised to them by ex-Celtic player, John Clifford.

Mr. Clifford, who played briefly for the Parkhead team in 1976, told the 'Journal' some time ago that the money raised at a Donegal fundraiser in May would be with the Derry Hospice in two weeks. That fundraiser, which was attended by Lisbon Lions, Billy McNeill and Tommy Gemmell, was organised by Mr. Clifford to raise funds for the Foyle Hospice and the Jimmy Johnstone Motor Neurone Disease Tribute Fund.

Patricia McLaughlin, whose father passed away at the Hospice and in whose memory the money was raised, praised the local club for their efforts: "They didn't have to do this, maybe now it will shame John Clifford into handing the money over.

"My family and I will be attending the function in order to show our thanks for this wonderful touch of humanity. Some members of that club attended the first night in McNamara's (Moville) and also feel sad that this has happened."

Mrs. McLaughlin then vowed not to let the original sum be lost to the Hospice: "We are still pursuing the matter and have filed a complaint with the PSNI and are waiting to hear back from him."

Glasgow Celtic FC are also preparing legal action against Mr. Clifford.

Patricia said:"I am speechless following the offer by Derry Number One, it is a very generous offer that we welcome very much.

"However it does not take away the fact John Clifford still has to give the money to the Foyle Hospice."

John McDaid, treasurer of Derry Number One, who organised the event, extended an invitation to all Celtic clubs in the North West. "We are intent on raising more than the money which was not handed over. To that end we are asking anyone who would like to make a donation, either before or at the nights at the races, to make cheques payable to the Foyle Hospice."

Two night at the races, in benefit of the Foyle Hospice, will be held, firstly on Friday March 23rd at the Oak Grove Bar and secondly at the Castle Bar on Saturday 24th March.

John Clifford was my coach at Livingston when I was playing for the Pro-Youth side. He was and still is a fat wank of a man. Just to make it look as if he was doing a great job he would bring in older boys and play diddy teams where we would win 22-0 and it looked great at the top.

Not surprised to see him as the main suspect, the reason why he got kicked out of Livi was for stealing funds.