Our European Finals..

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Novo had scored that one he put over the bar in Manchester I honestly believe it would have been different. Was 1-0 to them and we were pushing, the momentum was with us and the 2nd goal we were caught on the counter, Still haven't watched that game back.

Very unlucky in 67, playing Bayern in Germany. sepp Maier, Mueller and Beckenbaur all in the team.

Goal chopped off, glorious r chance missed by big Roger as well, then getting beat in ET!

If I mind right, their goal was fortuitous as well.

Just a boy but so gutted listening on the wireless.

Very unlucky in 67, playing Bayern in Germany. sepp Maier, Mueller and Beckenbaur all in the team.

Goal chopped off, glorious r chance missed by big Roger as well, then getting beat in ET!

I don't know much about the 60 final but it was a two legged affair. Lost 2-0 at Ibrox and 2-1 away.

Can't help, I'm old enough to have attended the game in Barcelona, what a day out that was but I don't remember the earlier ones. As for Manchester I blame Walter's tactics mostly. I used to live near him and kept hoping to bump in to him to as about the way we played in Manchester but it never happened.

Self inflicted damage in 67, after Berwick we binned George McLean and Jim Forrest and left ourselves with no centre forward and had to play big Hynd there. Jim Forrest was a crackin centre and I think he would/could have won it for us.

One for the older bears maybe. 72 we fully deserved to win but did we get what we deserved from the other earlier finals? If not what went wrong?

In the 1960-61 final we got beaten 4-1 on aggregate by Fiorentina as it was a 2 legged affair. We actually thought we were going to romp that final because we had already humped Borussia Monchengladbach 11-0 in the quarter finals then beat the mighty (at that time) Wolverhampton Wanderers 3-1 on aggregate in the semi final.

Unfortunately it all went wrong at Ibrox when Luigi Milan scored after 12 minutes, but the guy who did all the damage was the 'mighty atom' Kurt Hamrin who ran us ragged and then Luigi Milan scored their second with only a few minutes remaining.

The second leg in Florence was much the same as the first game, but at least we almost got a draw out of it. Again Luigi Milan scored after 12 minutes and Kurt Hamrin pulled the strings for Fiorentina; Alex Scott scored shortly after half-time which gave us a bit of hope but Hamrin sealed our fate with another goal near the end of time.

So I think we got what we deserved over the two legs.

The 1967 final was a different thing altogether and our chairman at the time actually contributed to us getting defeated by Bayern Munich.

During that period our Chairman was John Lawrence and when we got defeated in the 1st round of the 1967 Scottish cup by Berwick Rangers (with Jock Wallace in goals) Lawrence blamed the mercurial scoring machine,Jim Forrest and big Dandy McLean for the defeat and told our manager Scott Symon never to play them again and get them transferred asap, which Symon duly did.

When it came to the final played virtually in Bayern's back yard at Nuremberg, Symon decided to drop Alex Willoughby (Jim Forrest's cousin) and play our then centre-half, Roger Hynd as our centre-forward. Hynd actually scored but it was chalked off for some reason, which I can't remember, then he missed an easy chance after being set up by Dave Smith, so it ended 0-0 after 90 minutes.

In extra time big Franz Roth scored with about 10 minutes left to play after our defence seemed to go to sleep and we couldn't find a way back.

I'm totally positive if we had Jim Forrest or Alex Willoughby in that team we would have won the game easily, but as I said, our own chairman caused more damage to us off the field than Bayern did on it.

We didn't deserve that.

Can't help, I'm old enough to have attended the game in Barcelona, what a day out that was but I don't remember the earlier ones. As for Manchester I blame Walter's tactics mostly. I used to live near him and kept hoping to bump in to him to as about the way we played in Manchester but it never happened.

At the same time can you ask him about both marseille games? Both employed joke tactics

In the 1960-61 final we got beaten 4-1 on aggregate by Fiorentina as it was a 2 legged affair. We actually thought we were going to romp that final because we had already humped Borussia Monchengladbach 11-0 in the quarter finals then beat the mighty (at that time) Wolverhampton Wanderers 3-1 on aggregate in the semi final.

Unfortunately it all went wrong at Ibrox when Luigi Milan scored after 12 minutes, but the guy who did all the damage was the 'mighty atom' Kurt Hamrin who ran us ragged and then Luigi Milan scored their second with only a few minutes remaining.

The second leg in Florence was much the same as the first game, but at least we almost got a draw out of it. Again Luigi Milan scored after 12 minutes and Kurt Hamrin pulled the strings for Fiorentina; Alex Scott scored shortly after half-time which gave us a bit of hope but Hamrin sealed our fate with another goal near the end of time.

So I think we got what we deserved over the two legs.

The 1967 final was a different thing altogether and our chairman at the time actually contributed to us getting defeated by Bayern Munich.

During that period our Chairman was John Lawrence and when we got defeated in the 1st round of the 1967 Scottish cup by Berwick Rangers (with Jock Wallace in goals) Lawrence blamed the mercurial scoring machine,Jim Forrest and big Dandy McLean for the defeat and told our manager Scott Symon never to play them again and get them transferred asap, which Symon duly did.

When it came to the final played virtually in Bayern's back yard at Nuremberg, Symon decided to drop Alex Willoughby (Jim Forrest's cousin) and play our then centre-half, Roger Hynd as our centre-forward. Hynd actually scored but it was chalked off for some reason, which I can't remember, then he missed an easy chance after being set up by Dave Smith, so it ended 0-0 after 90 minutes.

In extra time big Franz Roth scored with about 10 minutes left to play after our defence seemed to go to sleep and we couldn't find a way back.

I'm totally positive if we had Jim Forrest or Alex Willoughby in that team we would have won the game easily, but as I said, our own chairman caused more damage to us off the field than Bayern did on it.

We didn't deserve that.

What a memory mate. That's impressive.

1960 naive prob sums it up .italians very crafty ,we got a penalty and the spent so long hustling the ref that when eric caldow took the kick the goale ran straight at him and must have been 6 ft off his line eric lost it and shot wide ,the kick shopuld have bee retaken but the ref bottled it he was not going thro. trhat again...1967 we could vhave had davie wilson in at no.9 and willoughby beside him instead we had henderson at7 and billy johnstonew just back from broken leg from berwick at 11 alec smith 8 roger 9 and dave smith 10 it was a disastert roger actualy had an open goal and he fluffed the shot ,long time ago but you dont forget these things.

What's the furthest we've been in the European Cup?

Semi final in season 60/61.

Lost 12-4 - yes 12-4 on aggregate to Eintract Frankfurt who then lost to Real Madrid 7-3 in the final.

Makes you wonder what that Real Madrid would have done to us ?? However, the final was at Hampden. With over a hundred thousand bears in there who knows what might have happened ...... Aye right!!!! Lol

Semi final in season 60/61.

Lost 12-4 - yes 12-4 on aggregate to Eintract Frankfurt who then lost to Real Madrid 7-3 in the final.

Makes you wonder what that Real Madrid would have done to us ?? However, the final was at Hampden. With over a hundred thousand bears in there who knows what might have happened ...... Aye right!!!! Lol

A European Cup semi final and a Cup Winners Cup final, not bad for a manager who allegedly knew nothing about European football. Mr Symon sometimes does not receive the credit he deserves. Mind you the Roger H decision was a shocker, if only.

In the sixties I believe Scottish football was at its peak. Dundee, Hibs, Dunfermline and Kilmarnock were all successful in Europe, all reaching European semi-finals (Dundee and Hibs reached the European Cup semis).

Yet in the early sixties we were still the dominant force (I believe that was our strongest team ever) and we came so close to European glory it hurt.

Cellic were nowhere, but then Stein arrived and they were given the easiest path ever to a European final and got lucky against a defensively minded lack-lustre Milan team.

Unfortunately in those early days we were knocked out by the truly great teams like Real Madrid, AC Milan, Eintracht Frankfurt, the great double winning Tottenham team and the better Inter Milan team of the early sixties.

Still think a wee bit more luck would have seen us win two possibly three European trophiesin the sixties, but hey, that's football unfortunately.

In the sixties I believe Scottish football was at its peak. Dundee, Hibs, Dunfermline and Kilmarnock were all successful in Europe, all reaching European semi-finals (Dundee and Hibs reached the European Cup semis).

Yet in the early sixties we were still the dominant force (I believe that was our strongest team ever) and we came so close to European glory it hurt.

Cellic were nowhere, but then Stein arrived and they were given the easiest path ever to a European final and got lucky against a defensively minded lack-lustre Milan team.

Unfortunately in those early days we were knocked out by the truly great teams like Real Madrid, AC Milan, Eintracht Frankfurt, the great double winning Tottenham team and the better Inter Milan team of the early sixties.

Still think a wee bit more luck would have seen us win two possibly three European trophiesin the sixties, but hey, that's football unfortunately.

Just finished watching the 67 final clip you posted up and can now honestly say that the definition of insanity being, "Trying to do the same thing and expecting a different outcome" or words to that effect, definitely puts me over the line, and had I been playing we would have won by a barrow load, as I was willing with all my heart for the result to turn out different ...... madness. :lol:

We were unlucky that night, but as you say "that's football unfortunately". :(

:uk:

when jim baxter broke his leg in vienna even keneth wolstenholme on the bbc, that we looked like we could win the cup that year ist uk side but without j.b. we lost the push to do it. until we went for 10 team leagues scotland were rated even in the internationals.

The 60-61 final against Fiorentina at Ibrox,, Harold Davis hit a shitty pass back to our keeper, and their player nicked in ans Scored. We got a penalty than never was, and Eric Caldow missed it, plus we kept hitting high ball all night, which was a waste of time.. We also gave away a last minute goal. Can also mind the bottles were flying, and the Italian flag was torn down from above the Derry shed, and after the game cafe windows getting smashed, and ice cream vans attacked.

The 60-61 final against Fiorentina at Ibrox,, Harold Davis hit a shitty pass back to our keeper, and their player nicked in ans Scored. We got a penalty than never was, and Eric Caldow missed it, plus we kept hitting high ball all night, which was a waste of time.. We also gave away a last minute goal. Can also mind the bottles were flying, and the Italian flag was torn down from above the Derry shed, and after the game cafe windows getting smashed, and ice cream vans attacked.

Yeah could be scary in those days minstral 60s + 70s saw a lot of that carry on.

(tu)(tu)(tu)

We have always been a tough crowd to please, and this type of venting was pretty commonplace, and spread like wildfire at times.

It wasn't just reserved for big European nights either as far as I recall, and the support had the added fuel of sneaking in the bevy, which I believe was a major factor of the violent behaviour.

You just had to look at the Monday papers to see the amount of arrests that were made in and around the match, not to mention the arrests all around the city.

Heavy days they were indeed Minstral, but part and parcel of the tough image of Glasgow, yet strangely enough at least 50% of those arrested were not from the city at all.

:uk:

That's where I stood, at the front mind you, until I grew up. Good times and despite all the shit, I miss them.