Are We Good Enough To Win A Cup?

RangersMedia

I think we need to calm down. We didn't play that well against Hibs last week and, they are about as good as a middle premiership team imo. The bheasts and the sheep would still beat us fairly comfortably i think

I don't think they would. I think we'd compete well with them.

And the question wasn't would we, it was could we. We definitely wouldn't be favourites, but we'd have a decent chance. We're definitely good enough to be hopeful about winning a cup.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that we should forget about the cups, and put all our concentrations, and effort, into winning the Championship. If we get to a semi final, in the cup, then I'd like our best eleven players on the park. We are Rangers, and winning is what we do!

I would love it if we won a cup this season, but our main aim this season is to win the league. I'd also love it if we went through the league unbeaten!

I've seen some of the "big cup" finals over the last few years and its not exactly been stellar football played.

Only 2 teams I could see us getting bother from are the Sheep and the mhanks - but at this point both would still seem winnable.

I guess we will get a better gauge of our progress after the St Johnstone game

I dont see how anyone thinks we are incapable of winning a cup with our style of play at the moment. And our players are probably still not 100% as a team yet so theres even better to come.

Who plays more attractive football than us?

Not impossible but not likely either. Barring the tims the next half dozen SPL teams are a reasonably even standard. The margins netween the clubs are slight. We are probably somewhere in that level of football right now. On our day we could beat them, on their day they can beat us.

At the moment we're scoring for fun against second tier teams, at the same time we are less than solid at the back. If we were to give the SPL sides the opportunities we have the teams in the division we are in we will lose goals.

The St Johnstone game will give a small indication of how far we have really come though not as much as some on here would like as they aren't a great side at the best of times. At the moment we are scoring goals from around the team, but I believe that we will really need a target man to have any real chance in of winning the Scottish or League cups as we seem to be squandering an awful lot of chances in front of goal, a luxury we may not have against the better SPL sides.

At the moment we're scoring for fun against second tier teams, at the same time we are less than solid at the back. If we were to give the SPL sides the opportunities we have the teams in the division we are in we will lose goals.

The St Johnstone game will give a small indication of how far we have really come though not as much as some on here would like as they aren't a great side at the best of times. At the moment we are scoring goals from around the team, but I believe that we will really need a target man to have any real chance in of winning the Scottish or League cups as we seem to be squandering an awful lot of chances in front of goal, a luxury we may not have against the better SPL sides.

Not sure if a target man is MW's type of player. Seems like he likes the front 3 to be interchangeable. I'm quite happy for the whole team to be scoring rather than relying on 1 player.

100%. There is only one team in the country who should be able to live with us and stop our quest for the quadruple, never mind one domestic cup. I expect us to challenge for everything. It's who we are.

I don't think Morton should be that scary a prospect...

Eh, Eh, calm down, calm down.

I have seen some of the best Rangers teams in history lose games.

Sorry for being an arse, but just cause we are playing good stuff, doesn't mean we WILL win a cup.

BUT, we have as good a chance as any of the rhats.

We have as good a chance as we've had since the demotion.

Celtic, Aberdeen and Hearts will be the teams to beat in both cups and after that I'd say us.

But then again we've still to play a Premiership side so it's hard to totally judge where we are at the minute. The St. Johnstone tie will tell alot.

Also with any cup competition you always need that bit of luck along the way aswell.

Not sure if a target man is MW's type of player. Seems like he likes the front 3 to be interchangeable. I'm quite happy for the whole team to be scoring rather than relying on 1 player.

Totally agree. We're moving the ball around nicely in the last 3rd, we don't need to go back to long balls and target men. Creating chances and patience is key. And we have been patient, it's often taken us a wee while to break the opposition down, but when we do, the floodgates open. We've not panicked, we have a real belief, and it shows.

Can we win a cup? I think so. But as others have said, let's see how we do when we're tested, whether it's St J that are able to test us or a better team in a later round. I also think SPL teams will fear us given how we're playing (rather than on our results). Although it was a win, the Hibs league game could have gone either way, so as long we learn not to give teams the sort of opportunities we gave Hibs, I think we'll compete with the best in the SPL.

Can't wait for the cup game against St J.

Is it though? Inverness put Celtic out of the Scottish League Cup last season...

septic won the League Cup last season, it was the Scottish that Inverness won, so I assume it was that cup they put them out of. I don't look at what that lot get up much, until we're back up that is.

Warburton plays open attacking football and while that will no doubt win us the league I've doubts it will win us one of the main cups. At the moment Kiernan seems incapable of 90 mins without an error and our defence would need to tighten up caus as Hibs proved at Ibrox we're not yet ready to face top two or thee imo.