RIP Phillip Hughes

RangersMedia

Anyone been following this? Phil Hughes (who was expected to receive a call up for the test matches v India) was hit in the head by a bouncer this morning from Sean Abbott - he staggered for a few seconds then collapsed face first into the ground with a severe head injury. He stopped breathing but they managed to resuscitate him and get him to hospital where he was operated on to try and relieve pressure to his brain.

Video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIRo5Z1Rnz0

My thoughts are with him and his family, I hope he pulls through - he's only 25. It's incredible what's happened, batsmen get hit in the head regularly playing the sport. Really shocking news.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the best to him anyway.

I saw some guy explain that it was just sort of under the helmet and beside the guard. Sort of the base of the side of the skull. He said they can't put a guard there because it restricts movement too much.

I'm betting they'll come up with something now.

I saw some guy explain that it was just sort of under the helmet and beside the guard. Sort of the base of the side of the skull. He said they can't put a guard there because it restricts movement too much.

I'm betting they'll come up with something now.

Yeah they'll definitely need to. A cricket ball could be brutal. I always shudder at the thought of a return hit down the wicket, hitting a fast bowler right in the face :anguish:

I'm surprised cricketers aren't seriously injured more often. Not so much the batsmen but the fielders standing at silly mid on etc.

I'm surprised too, they always spin around as well when a big shot gets hit. How they don't get caught on the upper spine is beyond me.

Looks like it was just a freak accident accident,never seen or heard of a batsman being injured in this way before and that's pretty incredible when you consider what the quick bowlers like Holding,Lillie,Thomson,Garner,etc used to deliver before the days of protective equipment.

Hope Hughes pulls through and makes a full recovery.