What a learning experience Ally has had.

I know there are many who don't think he's up to it, but I disagree.

I feel he was severely hampered by the lack of strikers up front.

Yes Europe went badly, and he has to take his share of that blame, but some the sitters missed and the dodgy defending of certain players certainly were not something he can take full blame for. Perhaps our pre-season was a little lacking, especially in terms of game time.

As for himself, he's undeniably intelligent, a great communicator and a Ranger to the core, who has been through the gloom of the early mid 80s, the revival and the resurgence under Walter.

Working along side Walter must be as good a grounding as you can get in the game, especially from a Rangers perspective.

Add to this the experiences of this season, where he's been hindered to a ludicrous extent, he has shown the strength of character and leadership to lead an otherwise rudderless ship. He has cut through all the bull in the media, as if he was some high-ranking corporate accountant.

I say he has enough to turn this ship around with proper backing and certainly hope to watch him lead his team to a triumphal return to our rightful position next year.

For all these reasons, I'm not for switching horses when I believe we have a winner.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He has shown repeatedly that he hasn't learned from his management experiences. His post-administration sound bites have induced amnesia in many of our fans. Any new owner will now find themselves in the same position as Whyte - an unsackable manager who is there based purely on sentimentality and because he was a fantastic player for us.

I too remember the early to mid eighties when he was at St.Johnstone and Sunderland. ;)

He's dealt with the worst, he needs to deliver next season no matter our finances I'm sure thats a challenge he's up to.

He's proved his doubters wrong when he was a player, now lets do it as a manager Super Ally21.gif

The circumstances, even pre-admin, were extremely difficult for him, and he has kept us going for the last few months, at this point in time, he SHOULD be unsackable, and I don't think a new owner would find a huge amount of support from the playing staff if they were to consider any changes in management at this stage.

I thinl Ally deserves at least another season in charge simply because he was not given a fair chance this season.

Saying that however, I think he does have to deliver next season once he has proper financial backing behind him and bringing in the players he wants.

He has shown repeatedly that he hasn't learned from his management experiences. His post-administration sound bites have induced amnesia in many of our fans. Any new owner will now find themselves in the same position as Whyte - an unsackable manager who is there based purely on sentimentality and because he was a fantastic player for us.

I too remember the early to mid eighties when he was at St.Johnstone and Sunderland. ;)

From memory, he signed in 84 for £185,000 from Sunderland.

P.S. Double checked and it was '83.

I think he deserves at least one season with adequate financial backing and no turmoil behind the scenes. The reality of the situation is that he's less a football manager and more a figurehead/fire fighter, and I'm a little concerned that's going to continue next season as well.

From memory, he signed in 84 for £185,000 from Sunderland.

P.S. Double checked and it was '83.

I know when he eventually signed, and that's part of the reason I don't fall for all this 'we don't do walking away' to the same extent as others.

If he was to be judged purely upon his performances as a manager, there would only be one outcome. Club before individuals.

Wish he would drop Edu

Agree one of the worst midfielders i've seen.

Dwells on the ball doesn't have a killer pass and runs alongside players like he's keeping them company.

Decent guy but never a player.

Agree one of the worst midfielders i've seen.

Dwells on the ball doesn't have a killer pass and runs alongside players like he's keeping them company.

Decent guy but never a player.

He actually usually runs behind them before fouling them in a stupid position

Great pointer though

I know when he eventually signed, and that's part of the reason I don't fall for all this 'we don't do walking away' to the same extent as others.

If he was to be judged purely upon his performances as a manager, there would only be one outcome. Club before individuals.

...in your opinion and that's fine.

I happen to strongly disagree and feel that a season such as this one is no basis whatsoever upon which to reach such a certain and negative assessment.

To justify your assessment, in my view, he'd have to be sitting at around 4th in the table with no financial issues and a fully equipped squad.

For me the financial issues and the associated under-resourcing of the front line and downer for the squad are unquestionable factors which allow for significant mitigation. Your view seems far too simplistic, based on a flawed assumption that another, superior, manager would almost certainly have achieved significantly more with the same issues. I'm not convinced that's anything like a given. It also assumes that there is a more suitable choice who would have taken the job under these same circumstances, that we could have afforded him and that they would accept.

haven't seen anything in our play, or system, or coaching that suggests ally should be given another chance.after all we will have a far worse squad next season i think.bring in a manager who can put together a young team with a proper footballing ethos.any new owner must install their own people.billy davis for me