• Barry Ferguson
    • Craig Moore
    • Stefan Klos
    • Fernando Ricksen
    • David Weir
    • Steven Davis
    • Carlos Bocanegra
    • Lee Mcculloch

Been thinking about who will be our new captain. Whilst thinking about this it got me wondering about previous captains.

Who is everyones favourite captain from the past, and why. I have chosen only to include captains during my own lifetime in poll.

Its a tough choice for me between Gough, Barry and Weir. I will have to choose Gough as he was a fantastic leader and would do anything for Rangers. Not taking anything away from Barry ans Weir though.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Butcher and Gough are my first memories of what a Rangers Captain was.

Barry was a revelation. Davie Weir. :praise:

Going to vote for Fernando. Summed up the No Surrender attitude, both as a player and a man, that a Rangers Captain must have.

I'll go pre Butcher and nominate John McClelland....the big ulsterman was a tremendous captain

Big McClelland, now theirs a blast from the past. Big honest centre half, but was very average as a player.

We went from players like him to international stars within a few years.

I for one never saw it coming.

Why don't people take these seriously?

Who the fuck voted for Gavin Rae?

I should have, I went to school with him. but never a Rangers great, Rangers mad like the rest of us and got his chance and helicopter Sunday.

No one can ever take helicopter Sunday away from him.

Has to be between Gough or Butcher for on-field leadership, and for the fact that at their peak they were among the finest central defenders in world football.

Also, I think that they represented the club brilliantly off the park too, better than some of the others (Barry flicking the Vs when with Scotland etc was never Rangers captain behaviour).

Gough shades it for me because of 9IAR and being Scottish.

Been thinking about who will be our new captain. Whilst thinking about this it got me wondering about previous captains.

Who is everyones favourite captain from the past, and why. I have chosen only to include captains during my own lifetime in poll.

Its a tough choice for me between Gough, Barry and Weir. I will have to choose Gough as he was a fantastic leader and would do anything for Rangers. Not taking anything away from Barry ans Weir though.

Pretty much the same thoughts as myself.

GM

Barry blotted his copy book for me during the PLG farrago. Gough and Butcher were the real leaders out there. However Butcher scored more goals against Rangers than any other single player during his time with us. Got to go for Gough, even though I voted for big Amo for pure personality and persistence and because I can be infuriatingly inconsistent just like him.