• Craig Moore
    • Stefan Klos
    • Fernando Ricksen
    • David Weir
    • Steven Davis
    • Carlos Bocanegra
    • Lee Mcculloch

GP .This is one thing that is not even up for debate

Richard Gough was /is and always will be the greatest captain and leader on a football field for any bear who witnessed the great years .

Weir was exceptional too but Gough will be the best ever probably in all our lifetimes .

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's "Favourite" captain.

I think it was always obvious Gough, of this specific era, would be most peoples greatest, or best, Captain.

But, there are many reasons why another player could be their favourite. An Australian Bear may say Moore for the connection for example.

But, I can be a bit pedantic at times. :)

Has to be gough for me with butcher a very close second, both were fantastic ambassadors for the club. You never heard of any off field problems with these 2. Would have amorousu in 3rd place

I think for me it has to be Richard Gough, as the 9IAR period in which he was a stalwart, he produced the goods required when it counted, both as a top player, and as a top captain.

Although I liked all our captains, he stood head and shoulders above all the others.

:uk:

"The club I gave blood, sweat and tears for is dead"

Did he ever clear that statement up ?

Edit just read ..

I have been aware for a while that some Rangers fans are upset with a comment attributed to me in an article a couple of years ago where I stated that the club I gave blood, sweat and tears for is dead.

Let me say that I don’t have a perfect recollection of my comments at this time but I do know what I was trying to convey and want to make that abundantly clear now. My comments were in the context of grief at what had happened to the club I captained. Recently I said that I wish I had done more to speak up at that time.

My meaning was certainly not that the club which plays at Ibrox now and is named Rangers FC is a totally different and new entity from the club I played for. I simply meant that the era which I was so proud to be a part of was over and that what lay ahead was uncertain and unknown. Let’s be honest – they were dark times and many of us didn’t know if there would be a Rangers during the worst of those days.

In hindsight I might have picked my words more carefully, although Rangers supporters I know personally totally understand what I was trying to say when I have explained it to them.

I appreciate the chance to clarify this and am happy to apologise if anyone was offended by my comments.

"The club I gave blood, sweat and tears for is dead"

Did he ever clear that statement up ?

Edit just read ..

I have been aware for a while that some Rangers fans are upset with a comment attributed to me in an article a couple of years ago where I stated that the club I gave blood, sweat and tears for is dead.

Let me say that I don’t have a perfect recollection of my comments at this time but I do know what I was trying to convey and want to make that abundantly clear now. My comments were in the context of grief at what had happened to the club I captained. Recently I said that I wish I had done more to speak up at that time.

My meaning was certainly not that the club which plays at Ibrox now and is named Rangers FC is a totally different and new entity from the club I played for. I simply meant that the era which I was so proud to be a part of was over and that what lay ahead was uncertain and unknown. Let’s be honest – they were dark times and many of us didn’t know if there would be a Rangers during the worst of those days.

In hindsight I might have picked my words more carefully, although Rangers supporters I know personally totally understand what I was trying to say when I have explained it to them.

I appreciate the chance to clarify this and am happy to apologise if anyone was offended by my comments.

Not to worry mate, before he came out with this belated apology, myself and quite a few others and yourself were not a all happy with what RG was coming out with, the shit about D-hivs and forgiveness, move on, dead Club etc.

But this thread is about who was your favourite captain of the 80's, the other stuff is for another thread don't you agree? :P

Favourite was Amo as he was hilarious at times, but the best of that era was Butcher. Everything came out from the back through him, could ping a pass to feet, rarely lost a header and was a real captain. Probably why he was captain of England.

Trouble is I started watching Rangers in the 60's when a certain Mr Greig was ruling the Ibrox turf, so not many can compare.

Butcher, Gough and Weir were outstanding captains for us but looking back I think Weir just shaded it for me as not only did we enjoy great success at home in his time but getting to a European final was achieved on the back of some great defensive displays wiith him at the heart of it.

Favourite was Amo as he was hilarious at times, but the best of that era was Butcher. Everything came out from the back through him, could ping a pass to feet, rarely lost a header and was a real captain. Probably why he was captain of England.

Trouble is I started watching Rangers in the 60's when a certain Mr Greig was ruling the Ibrox turf, so not many can compare.

For me it was Eric Caldow Wullie, then Greig took over that mantle for me also. Both these players left very little room for comparison in their day I agree, but Gough was my choice in the 80's.

I have never seen this June .Appreciate you posting it .

Wouldn't matter to me anyway . Think Gough has done enough in his lifetime to allow him some indiscretions

Same with big Tel .

It's a common theme amongst us angry bears, to lash out at our past heroes for the least wee thing they say or do that we collectively don't agree on .

It's about time we stopped this garbage .

Think we have enough enemies on our doorstep without finding fault every other week ,In some of our true legends

I will always give them the benefit of the doubt .

For me it was Eric Caldow Wullie, then Greig took over that mantle for me also. Both these players left very little room for comparison in their day I agree, but Gough was my choice in the 80's.

Caldow was certainly some player and probably would have been an even greater legend if not for that tackle playing for Scotland. Always wondered if that was why he switched to left back when he returned to the team. A great player.

Only reason I took Butcher over Gough is their leadership. Big Tel was in charge on the park and everyone knew it. Woe betide any player stepping out of line. Gough I felt never had that aura about him as he seemed quieter on the park. Just personal choice though.

Caldow was certainly some player and probably would have been an even greater legend if not for that tackle playing for Scotland. Always wondered if that was why he switched to left back when he returned to the team. A great player.

Only reason I took Butcher over Gough is their leadership. Big Tel was in charge on the park and everyone knew it. Woe betide any player stepping out of line. Gough I felt never had that aura about him as he seemed quieter on the park. Just personal choice though.

Caldow was right back for a while Wullie, but was comfortable on either side, from the early 50's up to the middle 50's he played predominately right side, he moved to the left side to accommodate Bobby Shearer about 56, and then this great partnership started to develop in earnest.

So he had been playing on the left for a few seasons before Smith broke his leg at Wembley in 63, never really came back to his usual self after that. My belief is, that had we the structure we have today at Auchenhowie with physios etc., he would have had a better chance of rehabilitation mentally and physically and would have extended his playing career due to better methods, sadly this was not available in those days, Caldow and The Rangers being the losers in this case. When he left Shearer became captain and was a good captain, but so soon after Caldow he was a bit in his shadow so to speak, though nevertheless a good strong captain.

Things turned a little sour for Terry butcher after an amazing start to his Rangers career and while longevity gives Gough the crown imo Butchers first season for Rangers will be hard to match . He was England captain and on and off the park was everything you could wish for in a captain. Also imo had more ability than Gough and his passing long and short defied his size,a genuine colossus at his peak.

Caldow was right back for a while Wullie, but was comfortable on either side, from the early 50's up to the middle 50's he played predominately right side, he moved to the left side to accommodate Bobby Shearer about 56, and then this great partnership started to develop in earnest.

So he had been playing on the left for a few seasons before Smith broke his leg at Wembley in 63, never really came back to his usual self after that. My belief is, that had we the structure we have today at Auchenhowie with physios etc., he would have had a better chance of rehabilitation mentally and physically and would have extended his playing career due to better methods, sadly this was not available in those days, Caldow and The Rangers being the losers in this case. When he left Shearer became captain and was a good captain, but so soon after Caldow he was a bit in his shadow so to speak, though nevertheless a good strong captain.

Well you learn all the time. I started watching just as Caldow broke his leg and remember my father going on about him switching to left back so thought it had happened after that. I remember Willie Mathieson coming into the team at that point so he must have replaced Caldow at that point. So many good players back then and thats not through rose tinted specs.