Herald Scotland: Potential Fan Groups Merger

I don't see anything wrong with them all being represented by one group, mainly because the plethora of groups is bewildering at times. I personally don't feel the need to join any of these groups, but I did join up to the 'Social Club' up the hill from the Broomloan roundabout. I'm sure that made a member of the association at the time, but I was only joining for the cheap beer, not because I had any affiliations with one group or another.

I've still got my old membership card laying around somewhere, ha ha.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only group I see any point in is Rangers first.

I've never seen anything from any other group which makes me thinks "I'm glad they are around"

If someone can tell me different I am all ears.

In my own opinion, bearing in mind I am not a part of any of the groups per say (other than donating) my opinion is from the outside. The only negative comments seem to be in regards to too many many ppl wanting to be in charge.

A famous quote reads "alone we are strong together we are stronger"

I think all groups working together as a single democratic body with all decisions being voted on, members on the board and working for the same cause would provide strength in unity. Kind of like when the 51 unified States of America decided to work under one single government. How can it not work? Except from some groups thinking they are bigger and more important. This one group would bring the strengths of all and combine them.

In my own opinion, bearing in mind I am not a part of any of the groups per say (other than donating) my opinion is from the outside. The only negative comments seem to be in regards to too many many ppl wanting to be in charge.

I think all groups working together as a single democratic body with all decisions being voted on, members on the board and working for the same cause would provide strength in unity. Kind of like when the 51 unified States of America decided to work under one single government. How can it not work? Except from some groups thinking they are bigger and more important. This one group would bring the strengths of all and combine them.

The blazer-chasers would hate your world.

And it sounds such a wonderful place to live in too.

Rangers First and The Louden Tavern in particular have made dozens of posts denying something like this would ever happen.

Pants on fire.

As far as I can recall Beast, the posts you refer to are with regard to any possible merging of RF & the RST - and I dont see how the setting of of a single fans body would contradict that, as this does not equate to a merger of RST/RF. My understanding is the constitution of these two groups would make merger impossible as things stand.

Furthermore Id be willing to predict that if this new body did not allow RF to continue their stated objectives and core function without compromise - they would not be part of it. Just my opinion of course.

Rangers First and The Louden Tavern in particular have made dozens of posts denying something like this would ever happen.

Pants on fire.

Look at RF's tweets on the matter. They are pretty consistent with what I've said in the past. RF will do whatever their membears want but a 'merger' isn't possible and if you look at the minutes from the meeting that isn't really what was being suggested imo

What I did was deny that RF would Merge with RST to form a 'buy Rangers First'. That's isn't, won't, and can't happen.

I'll wait and see what the actual proposal is before deciding whether I'm for it or against it first but there are a few things that RF does that needs to continue.

1. buying shares to give fans a voice

2. Using that voice to ensure they are a safeguard to ensure the events of recent times can't occur again.

I think RF have enough about them to be represented at any fans board with the club.

RF should remain independent of the club to ensure they can operate as a safeguard. But this proposal could be a way to get the ACT that RF have been looking for.

I've an open mind on it. Let's see the proposal.

GM

Look at RF's tweets on the matter. They are pretty consistent with what I've said in the past. RF will do whatever their membears want but a 'merger' isn't possible and if you look at the minutes from the meeting that isn't really what was being suggested imo

What I did was deny that RF would Merge with RST to form a 'buy Rangers First'. That's isn't, won't, and can't happen.

I'll wait and see what the actual proposal is before deciding whether I'm for it or against it first but there are a few things that RF does that needs to continue.

2. Using that voice to ensure they are a safeguard to ensure the events of recent times can't occur again.

I think RF have enough about them to be represented at any fans board with the club.

RF should remain independent of the club to ensure they can operate as a safeguard. But this proposal could be a way to get the ACT that RF have been looking for.

GM

Absolutely imperative - 15 words which should be the benchmark for any fans group.

"Should they be obliged to declare any freebies (ie hospitality) from the club?"

CD

I think that is one of the problems/challenges which will be faced - to have the credibility required to make it successful and truly representative of all the support it will have to be very careful and considerate about its eventual reps

This would be ideal but in getting in the likes of King/Murray have promised certain people 30 pieces of silver. They cannot now create a fresh, open and democratic fans group

posted in another thread but seems relevant;

the problem with unity of the supporters groups is the political and egotistical views that could be brought into debates. How long till the following came in;

"we want the club to push to allow us to sing billy boys".

"we want a standing section and first dibs on it".

"we want recognition of our fake taps".

"we want a statue erected of......."

"we want X amount of our members as heads of the fans board"

the fans groups are splintered for a reason and most of what i hear from them is either responding to the scums fans or selling something or other with a cry of "Spivs oot!".

in all honesty i've yet to see what the fans groups do in terms of charity etc. I'm sure many of them do but it never makes the press as it's always moaning about the old board, ashley or articles written about the club which the PR department should be cleaning up, not fans groups.

GM

I have a feeling DK only see's money signs whenever he hears RF mentioned, keep the current safeguards in place because as of yet DK still has some work to do before he can be trusted, imo.

posted in another thread but seems relevant;

the problem with unity of the supporters groups is the political and egotistical views that could be brought into debates. How long till the following came in;

"we want the club to push to allow us to sing billy boys".

"we want a standing section and first dibs on it".

"we want recognition of our fake taps".

"we want a statue erected of......."

"we want X amount of our members as heads of the fans board"

the fans groups are splintered for a reason and most of what i hear from them is either responding to the scums fans or selling something or other with a cry of "Spivs oot!".

in all honesty i've yet to see what the fans groups do in terms of charity etc. I'm sure many of them do but it never makes the press as it's always moaning about the old board, ashley or articles written about the club which the PR department should be cleaning up, not fans groups.

Yes they are all so transparent.

At least SOS are cpnsistent in spouting bile and don't give a fuck for anyone.

I'm still waiting on someone telling me on how many fake taps have been sold. Obviously some are having an HMRC moment.

What do these groups even do? They seem to think they're a better fan than anyone else with a ST who follows Rangers everywhere, but they're not

I can speak for myself, don't need some guy with a large ego doing it

The people they represent

Regarding RF I know the board got 2 directors box tickets following the new regime coming in.

I think there has also been a meeting before the game with some of the board (iirc it was a meet and greet kind of thing) where the RF reps were allowed to sit in the DB.

That doesn't bother me though - if you are wanting to talk to the club then I think that's part and parcel of it.

I don't think it should be a standing thing for RF to have a specific individual in the DB though. If there was a consistent presence I would like it to be randomly assigned to RF membears.

GM

What do these groups even do? They seem to think they're a better fan than anyone else with a ST who follows Rangers everywhere, but they're not

I can speak for myself, don't need some guy with a large ego doing it

I think that's not true.

I am relatively new to the whole groups thing but I haven't met many who look down on the average fan. The vast majority are just trying to do something to help Rangers imo

GM

Regarding RF I know the board got 2 directors box tickets following the new regime coming in.

I think there has also been a meeting before the game with some of the board (iirc it was a meet and greet kind of thing) where the RF reps were allowed to sit in the DB.

That doesn't bother me though - if you are wanting to talk to the club then I think that's part and parcel of it.

I don't think it should be a standing thing for RF to have a specific individual in the DB though. If there was a consistent presence I would like it to be randomly assigned to RF membears.

GM

I know it's a different organisation but what did you think of an unelected RST board member being gifted a place on Rangers board even though he was patently unqualified to be there?

If an RF representative had been given the same 'honour' do you think it may have compromised his independence and therefore position in RF?

I know it's a different organisation but what did you think of an unelected RST board member being gifted a place on Rangers board even though he was patently unqualified to be there?

If an RF representative had been given the same 'honour' do you think it may have compromised his independence and therefore position in RF?

I think Chris was given his position external of his involvement with the RST. If it was an RST position then he would have been replaced on the board by another RST rep.

I think I would need to judge it on its merits. For instance RF have James Blair on their board and he is also Club Secretary at Ibrox now. I have no issues with that but I know James and he's someone who is of benefit to both Rangers and RF.

GM

Sorry. Can only see this as like the old way under Murray scenario. Have cosy meetings and then not tell us what is happeningat these meetings. "Have to keep it confidential". Keeping it to one group is going back to the old days of these meetings.

Have a select few attend and more or less kept in the dark.