Tonev

KingKirk

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nor would I, I honestly can't see why the lad Logan would lie to make the complaint.

But I can understand why tonev would lie to get out of it.

This IMO hasn't been a case of Logan maybe hearing something from a distance or behind his back , this has been a face to face confrontation with Tonev , with Tonev saying his racist comments more than once . It's SFA's downfall if he is cleared in the end cause then you have to look at Logans motives .The SFA are in a bit of a quandary as Celtic are now threatening to go to CAS . An unenviable position for SFA but will be interesting to see outcome and the predictable nuclear reaction from Celtic fans!

Its not just about one players word against another its also about how convincing a witness you are.

I presume Tonev was a poor witness.

I remember being at "Diversity Training" and we were told that if an accusation of Racism is made the onus is on you to disprove it, there is a presumption of guilt until then.

Update: They're gonna sit on it.

Aleksandar Tonev: SFA tribunal break to consider racism ban ruling

A Scottish FA tribunal will rule on Aleksandar Tonev's appeal against aseven-match suspension on a racism charge "within the next two weeks".

The on-loan Celtic winger was found guilty of abusing Aberdeen full-back Shay Logan by an SFA judiciary panel.

An appellate tribunal gathered at Hampden on Thursday evening to hear submissions on the player's behalf.

And a statement said those involved "will adjourn for consideration before reaching their determination".

Bulgarian international Tonev, 24, who arrived from Aston Villa in the summer, is free to continue playing until a verdict is reached.

"We have to be sure about the things that have actually been said, " was the opinion of Celtic manager Ronny Deila just hours before the tribunal met.

"If not, then it's a very hard penalty to get when we don't know what is right or wrong. It could be a misunderstanding."

Aberdeen boss Derek McInnes declined to comment on the case during his Thursday media conference.

Celtic have suggested they could involve the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) if they are unhappy with the SFA tribunal's decision.

When asked earlier this week if Celtic would involve Cas, Deila said: "We'll see, this is a very serious accusation.

_79517910_10241184.jpg

"We will have to do everything in our power to get this away from Alex, we believe him.

"It's been word against word and they are thinking the other guy is telling the truth and Tonev is lying, and for me that's not how a court should be. For me it should be real proof.

"We don't believe Aleksandar is a racist."

Cas is an independent international body with its headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland, established to settle disputes related to sport.

Tonev made his first start for Celtic since 2 October in Wednesday's 1-0 win over Partick Thistle.

Translation:

Ceptic are adamant and Peter has made some threats behind the scenes.

see if they uphold his appeal and he's free to play, it will open an absolute floodgate of players making remarks outwith earshot of anyone else

whats to stop you walking past a player, nowhere near anyone else and calling them a fenia/orange/black/chinky bastard etc etc, the opposing player accuses you, it goes to SFA court, you simply use the tonev case as a benchmark of "its his word against mine"

the whole point of the reasonable doubt line is to deal with situations like this, but it was never intended to be used against the one person with all the power in the scottish game

sittin on it till the window opens and fc integrity can punt him back down south,how very convenient

I was thinking that was gonna be the PR strategy on this occasion.

The player probably said "Shorry, bosh! Is that bad here?", which Deila accepted, but Peter helpfully pointed out that the player said no such thing, which completely baffled Tonev, unaccustomed to the ways of Scottish football legislation, as he was.

Ceptic are up for fight, due to their ongoing racist, sectarian, anti-Semitic and terrorist baggage. They have to win a PR battle.

Fortunately, it just keeps highlighting that they have a player who's probably a bit racist.

Nice big PR o.g. by them.

Ceptic.

Always offended, yet always offensive whilst somehow never offending. That's before you investigate the long line from Walfrid to Torbett.

Aye. Ceptic. A club like no other.

Taking away from the fact he plays with that lot, I'd be a bit uneasy about labeling someone a Racist without any evidence what so ever other than a statement from the alleged victim, I'd also be a bit unnerved about potentially labeling a victim of racism a liar too.

it was a live TV game, I believe there are more cameras at Celtic Park than any other stadium in Scotland, there will also be mics all over the place, I find it slightly uncanny that nothing at all picked this up, never even picked up a clash between the pair...while I wouldn't be in a rush not to believe Shay Logan I just can't see how Tonev can be found guilty if there is no evidence, even using the balance of probability.

The SFA are in a tricky situation here, I actually think they'd probably be happy if CAS got involved, it'd take the matter out of their hands

see if they uphold his appeal and he's free to play, it will open an absolute floodgate of players making remarks outwith earshot of anyone else

whats to stop you walking past a player, nowhere near anyone else and calling them a fenia/orange/black/chinky bastard etc etc, the opposing player accuses you, it goes to SFA court, you simply use the tonev case as a benchmark of "its his word against mine"

the whole point of the reasonable doubt line is to deal with situations like this, but it was never intended to be used against the one person with all the power in the scottish game

om the flip side of that mate, if Tonev is found guilty then whats to stop other players in future saying they've been called fenian/orange/black/chinky in order to get a player, possibly a rivals star player banned?

Taking away from the fact he plays with that lot, I'd be a bit uneasy about labeling someone a Racist without any evidence what so ever other than a statement from the alleged victim, I'd also be a bit unnerved about potentially labeling a victim of racism a liar too.

it was a live TV game, I believe there are more cameras at Celtic Park than any other stadium in Scotland, there will also be mics all over the place, I find it slightly uncanny that nothing at all picked this up, never even picked up a clash between the pair...while I wouldn't be in a rush not to believe Shay Logan I just can't see how Tonev can be found guilty if there is no evidence, even using the balance of probability.

The SFA are in a tricky situation here, I actually think they'd probably be happy if CAS got involved, it'd take the matter out of their hands

What? He plays for Ceptic!

Being called a racist and a liar is no big reputational scar when you sign up for a club that probably shouldn't be allowed to have a youth team.

What stops anyone making a claim about anyone else? Sets a ridiculous precedent where any claim will result in a ban.

It should be thrown out

What stops anyone making a claim about anyone else? Sets a ridiculous precedent where any claim will result in a ban.

It should be thrown out

100% agree, it's irrelevant that he's a Celtic player. He may have said what he was accused of but if the only evidence is one person saying he did then they can get to fuck

100% agree, it's irrelevant that he's a Celtic player. He may have said what he was accused of but if the only evidence is one person saying he did then they can get to fuck

I also agree, which is inconvenient seeing as it's the putrid ones we're talking about.

Fortunately they have pissed in their own punch bowl by arbitrarily absolving Tonev without evidence - essentially the mirror image of what they're complaining about. Had they merely challenged the process while reserving judgement on the incident itself then they would appear to be above board on this, but without compelling proof then they demonstrate that they don't care whether the player is guilty or not; they are only interested in protecting their own image.

Its not reasonable doubt, it's on the balance of probabilities.

Sellick have obviously issued some legal warnings and the SFA have shit it and no doubt will need two weeks to ensure everything they are doing is legal on this one.

Thats where "beyond reasonable doubt" cones into it

Tonev claims he called logan something that sounds similar to a racial slur

Why doesn't he just tell us what it was?

Did he call him a "digger" or "back b*****""?

What non-racist term of abuse that sounds like a racist term of abuse did he use?

To be honest, I reckon this is more about ceptic's PR and image than Tonev's supposed innocence. I think the scum may just be overplaying their hand on this one, perhaps initially questioning the player, who then felt he had to admit he abused him, while claiming that it wasn't racist but might just sound a little bit racist.

I suspect that this is all merely another case of brushing it under the carpet, rather than a quest for justice for a loan player, who I now suspect will be punted back to his contracted club to distance the shame, after it's been kicked into the long grass.

Too many on here gloating because it is a septic player. Put the boot on the other foot and think how we would react if it was one of us banned with no evidence.

The authorities are falling over themselves to be seen to be "combatting"racism rather than judging the case on the evidence. It has already been pointed out that nothing was picked up by any other player or any camera or microphone and frankly the guilty verdict was a bad joke.

Do you think if McCulloch or Miller had accused someone of calling them an orange bastard or similar with the same level of proof that anything would have came of it. No chance.