Baraclough(who?) named Motherwell boss

robg58

Baraclough named Motherwell boss

Scottish Premiership side Motherwell have named Englishman Ian Baraclough as their new manager to replace Stuart McCall, who resigned on 2 November, the club announced.

"After a rigorous interview process, Baraclough was the outstanding candidate, with the Board hugely impressed by his vision and plans for both on and off the field," Motherwell said on the club website.

The 44-year old enjoyed a 20-year playing career with the likes of Leicester City, Wigan Athletic and Queens Park Rangers, before finishing at Scunthorpe United in 2008. He then went on to manage Scunthorpe in the English lower divisions before taking over at Sligo Rovers and leading them to their first Irish title in 35 years.

"I am delighted and find myself in a privileged position. I've done some research into the history of the club and I know how well the football club has done, certainly over recent years. It will be a hard task to take over from Stuart but one I'm very excited to take up," Baraclough told the Motherwell website. "Short term my aim is to keep this club in the Premiership. There is no easy way to go about that and it is a situation that hasn't been at this football club in a few years but it doesn't scare me."

Baraclough edged out Dutch former Fir Park defender Mitchell van der Gaag in the Lanarkshire club's recruitment process. He will be at Fir Park on Saturday to watch his new team play bottom club Ross County, but Kenny Black will remain in the caretaker role he has filled since McCall left.

McCall, 50, quit last month after a run of five straight defeats left the club second from bottom. A former player with Rangers and Scotland, McCall had led Motherwell to second in the table behind champions Celtic last season