The Muddleboard again

*Manticore*

Just in case there is any doubt:

The Story:

Rise in Irish recruits for the British Army

Irishmen Carl O'Rourke and twin brother Andrew are among the new recruits to have joined the British Army

« Previous « PreviousNext » Next »View GalleryADVERTISEMENT Published Date: 04 September 2008

By Staff reporter

THE British Army is becoming more Irish by the day, as six out of seven recruits who joined in Enniskillen yesterday are from the Republic.

In more evidence of changing Irish attitudes towards Britain, the Army is seeing significant increases in recruits travelling north to enlist. Yesterday, soldiers from as far away as Cork, Limerick and Dublin took an oath of allegiance to the Queen and signed up for 12 years’ service.

One of the recruits who signed up, Andrew Warrington, 22, from Mayo, has joined from the regular Irish army, where he spent three years. He wants to become an Army sniper and is being assigned to the Royal Irish Regiment.

“I wanted to see more missions, travel and to be more active. Joining is an advantage as there is more I can do with the British Army,” he said.

His friends were not surprised by his career move, and his relatives were open to it. His grandfather was in the Army in England during the Second World War, he said.

“That did influence me when I heard about it, I thought I might go to the Army and I’m looking forward to it as it’s a good career.”

And he said that he was fully behind recognising the returning soldiers with homecoming parades, and added: “They should be applauded.”

During the last financial year more than one in 10 soldiers joining the Army in Northern Ireland recruitment offices had travelled from the Republic – more than double the number who joined the previous year.

And, since April this year, the percentage of recruits coming from the Republic has again risen sharply to 16 per cent.

An Army spokeswoman acknowledged that the number of recruits from the Republic had been in decline for about 30 years, but that for generations soldiers have joined from the Republic, so the current trend is nothing new.

There is speculation that the increase may be as a result of economic growth, the end of the Troubles and reducing prejudice, meaning that soldiers can return home and talk openly about their service with the British Army.

Gerard Hayes, 23, from Cork said that for as long has he can remember he was interested in the military. He has worked in Greece as a scuba-diving instructor for the last few years, as he once hoped to join the Irish navy.

He has also seen service with the Irish army reserves in Cork, and has been training, drilling and getting experience for combat.

“I joined up with the British Army as I will see more action. I want to join a sniper platoon as I hunt and shoot wild game too,” he said.

His family were not surprised by his decision, as his father was in the Irish army and his grandfather was in the British Army, he said.

“I have their support. It’s not about being Irish or English, it’s about what I want to do,” he said.

He also supports a parade for returning troops: “Without doubt there should be a heroes’ welcome.

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/3425/Rise-in-I...-for.4456355.jp

The muddleboard reaction:

IMG1208-1220526356.jpg

IMG1208-1220526455.jpg

IMG1208-1220526519.jpg

IMG1208-1220526529.jpg

These are the types of cretins that Jack McConnell and Speirs et al are are trying to defend. Makes me sick to my stomach.

Me too. It disgusts me.

Someone should e-mail the link to Brittney. It'd give him something else to ignore.

These are the types of cretins that Jack McConnell and Speirs et al are are trying to defend. Makes me sick to my stomach.

Me too. It disgusts me.

Someone should e-mail the link to Brittney. It'd give him something else to ignore.

Pretty sure his email address won't accept balanced arguements in emails. Probably has a filter so unless you are paddy.oshaughnessy@eirecom.ie or something you wont get through!

Working in Dublin and gladly showing it to some Irish people over here, they're not too happy :)

The thing is real Irish people in the main are fine.

Quite a few have confided in me over the years that they have a soft spot for the bears, not that they are fans, they just like the fact that we stand up for what we believe in and aren't swayed by what is fashionable.

I remember one saying 'yer a buch of stubborn bastards, no wonder we couldn't get in to Derry' :D

Guest therabbitt

Working with quite a few from down south myself at the minute. Like you said, they are not best pleased.

Also, for the record, not one had a problem with these lads signing up for the British Army

I feel I should say something like "unbelievable".

Sadly, it's what we all expect from them.

The irony of these Plastic Paddies calling for the most horrible deaths for these real Irishmen, will not be grasped by them.

Is that not "anti-Irish racism", Timothy? doh

Can an Irishman not be free to pursue the career of his choice, or even just a career? Where do they draw the line? You can't join the British Army, but you can live in Britain, take advantage of Her Majesty's welfare services and wave a British Passport that you're happy to travel with.

Strange how they're so popular with hypocrites such as Spiers.

Its so easy for these sick people to say these kind of things through a computer but i would love to get them and the family of these soldiers together and see how big they are then. Britains shame that lot