Biggest Match Attendance You Have Been To

pcbear

I'm amazed at how clear people's memories are of the matches they have attended. I have been in a number of +100k crowds at Ibrox & Hampden but I do not recall exactly which games. I can remember one was a cup final when I was young because I was amazed at all the fans from far far away (like Canada). I remember the crush when the crowd pushed forward if something big happened and exotic things like a girl peeing on the terracing but I can't pick out specific games.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Prepared for the shifties here but Holland vs the fenians in the 1994 World Cup in Florida

Was great seeing Pat Bonner throw the ball into his net for the opening goal

How many was there for Barcelona vs Rangers in 2007? That might be close actually attendance wise

Not sure but my Dad took me as a boy when the enclosures were still standing and people still got a carryout in. Remember on a cold day the back of my leg getting warm as some steamer pished down the back a my leg was early 80's to mid but fuck knows attendances back then.

I hear tales of having fires in the enclosures in winter to keep warm but not sure if a wind up.

Totally true.

On a really cold day, when there wasn't a full crowd, the fans would tend to huddle together under the roofing leaving spaces in front of the Copland, and spaces on the westt terracing.

We all know how miserable a cold rainy, sleety or snowy late afternoon winter day can be in Glasgow, and as the skies darkened wee fires would be built on the concrete steps mostly from old cardboard boxes used by the roll and macaroon bar vendors, the brown paper bags used to bring the "carry oots" in, what was left of toilet rolls which had been nicked from every toilet and pub on the way to the game and thrown from the crowd as the game started, and the "Evening Citizens" which had been bought outside the ground on the way in which had featured a big colour poster of the team or a specific Rangers player.

They were reasonably small and didn't last long and and provided a bit of heat along with the sometimes tepid "hot" bovril and lukewarm "hot" mutton pies, which along with tammies and cloth caps and wee bottles of whisky and copious ammounts of "LD" helped saved hundreds and even thousands of Gers fans from intense frostbite and death by hypothermia on the Ibrox terraces on cold dreich game days and nights at Ibrox in the sixties and seventies.

Always +100k Midweek cup replay +100k

I guess it meant more back then.... Controversial I know. Point is... we had jobs. Now we fight for jobs. The world has changed. But we ..... (watp) (tu)

More like fitba' was on a Saturday at 3:00 or Wednesday at 7:30 and the terracings were a lot more conducive to providing an atmosphere than seated areas. Also, a lot less on the telly. In fact, the rule used to be no live matches could be shown on tv if there was another match being played in Scotland.

'62- '63 cup final - 129,681

was also at the opening of the floodlights at hampden in '61 when we played Eintracht in a friendly (I think it's the highest attendance for a friendly in scotland)

some team they were.

couldn't celebrate goals often at big games because as soon as it went in, you had to get your feet up on the wall at the front and brace yourself for the crowd falling forward.

and dodgin' pish filled cans of mcewans when the animals scored.

the only thing scarier was jumpin across the huge rivers of pish by the lavvies.

was also at the opening of the floodlights at hampden in '61 when we played Eintracht in a friendly (I think it's the highest attendance for a friendly in scotland)

some team they were.

couldn't celebrate goals often at big games because as soon as it went in, you had to get your feet up on the wall at the front and brace yourself for the crowd falling forward.

and dodgin' cans of pish filled cans of mcewans when the animals scored.

the only thing scarier was jumpin across the huge rivers of pish by the lavvies.

Happy Days

some team they were.

and dodgin' cans of pish filled cans of mcewans when the animals scored.

Hahaha...rivers of pish..your absolutely right !

Barcelona away

Manchester

John Greig testimonial

1980 Scottish cup final

Away games at the old Piggery

The John Greig testimonials a good shout, it might be the biggest Ibrox crowd I have been in, I'm sure it was a Sunday and we beat a Scotland select 5-0, big John bought all the players involved gold watches.

Anyone seen the photo at Somerset Park when all the fans were on the touchline?

1973 cup final.

Agree with the poster who suggested those 12,000 "unsold" tickets were bogus, and also saw a few sneak in with backhanders and a few youngsters lifted over the turnstyles, so suspect the actual attendance was a bit higher.

Certainly the most crowded game I was at. When Conn scored early in the second half I literally ended up about 20-30 yards further down when the celebrations died down than where i was originally just with the crowd pressure.

I seem to recollect a few years back DJ saying it was the biggest proportion of Rangers Fans he had seen at an OF game on a neutral venue I.e Hampden.That Rangers fans took over more of the ground than the Sellick fans.Interested in knowing if that was the case from someone who was actually there that day.

The John Greig testimonials a good shout, it might be the biggest Ibrox crowd I have been in, I'm sure it was a Sunday and we beat a Scotland select 5-0, big John bought all the players involved gold watches.

Anyone seen the photo at Somerset Park when all the fans were on the touchline?

60.000 crowd. Big DJ played a blinder in that 5-0 game after a great season ,I'm sure he scored a couple. He had a point to prove as he had been voted player of the year, was easily good enough but wasn't being selected for the full Scottish team before the upcoming 1978 Argentina world cup. Ally McLeod the Scotland manager was another bastard who refused to select players Rangers players, even those of the calibre of Davie Cooper, Tommy McLean and Alex MacDonald. DJ was in the squad but McLeod fell out with him. DJ didn't play and to cap it all Scotland were humiliated to another early exit.

The game at Somerset Park is interesting as I think that's possibly the 5-0 game where we virtually won the league, Somerset Park was jammed, Ayr had Hugh Sproat in goal who joined in with the massed Rangers fans as we sung "We Are The Champions" for the whole second half.

60.000 crowd. Big DJ played a blinder in that 5-0 game after a great season ,I'm sure he scored a couple. He had a point to prove as he had been voted player of the year, was easily good enough but wasn't being selected for the full Scottish team before the upcoming 1978 Argentina world cup. Ally McLeod the Scotland manager was another bastard who refused to select players Rangers players, even those of the calibre of Davie Cooper, Tommy McLean and Alex MacDonald. DJ was in the squad but McLeod fell out with him. DJ didn't play and to cap it all Scotland were humiliated to another early exit.

The game at Somerset Park is interesting as I think that's possibly the 5-0 game where we virtually won the league, Somerset Park was jammed, Ayr had Hugh Sproat in goal who joined in with the massed Rangers fans as we sung "We Are The Champions" for the whole second half.

Greig 2, Russell 2, Johnstone 1, Was the crowd not nearer 65,000? record attendance for that type of game. Not sure if record still stands?

I seem to recollect a few years back DJ saying it was the biggest proportion of Rangers Fans he had seen at an OF game on a neutral venue I.e Hampden.That Rangers fans took over more of the ground than the Sellick fans.Interested in knowing if that was the case from someone who was actually there that day.

I was in the main stand but can't be sure how the segregation was split in the North Enclsure that day but our part of the stadium did seem more densely packed than theirs.

I've spoken to guys who have said they made it into the ground - whether by ticket, giving the turnstile guy a bung, or climbing the wall I don't know - but they couldn't actually get on to the terracing itself because it was so jam packed. I heard there was a break-in at the Rangers End, maybe that explain guys not giving up their ticket at a turnstile plus others probably thousands getting in without a ticket.

Ibrox was probably John Greigs testimonial when the capacity was 64000 (I think).100 000 at Wembley for Scotland game and Hampden was Cup Final v Hearts think attendance was given as 85000.As said before most of the big games in those days you could add on a lot more due to folk getting a lift over or Stewards opening the gates and letting their mates in.

Rangers v Bayern semi at Ibrox. Can't remember attendence but was over 100k. What a night that was.

It was 80,000, Celtic played Inter the same night at Parkhead and there was 75,000 there, 155,000 in Glasgow for two matches, we won they got beat on pens.