The fields of Athenry

I have a few questions about this song and I would like people views on it. The song was recently performed at a Karaoke in front of mixed company.

Do you think that this is a wise move in Glasgow? In my personal opinion you should not sing the sash in front of mixed company as well.

Does the song deeply offend any of you? Or are you not bothered about it?

Gerry Mcnee asked Fergus Mcann to ban the song from Parkhead in the 90s. His claims were that it antagonized the Rangers support. Whats do you think?

Sorry the post isn't Rangers related , im just looking for information and I believe this place is the best to get that information.

I recently posted this question on follow follow and was banned instantly.

I have a few questions about this song and I would like people views on it. The song was recently performed at a Karaoke in front of mixed company.

Do you think that this is a wise move in Glasgow? In my personal opinion you should not sing the sash in front of mixed company as well.

Gerry Mcnee asked Fergus Mcann to ban the song from Parkhead in the 90s. His claims were that it antagonized the Rangers support. Whats do you think?

Sorry the post isn't Rangers related , im just looking for information and I believe this place is the best to get that information.

In truth, the actual song doesnt bother me.

The I-R-A add ons are despisable and only scum would celebrate and cheer on indiscriminate child murderers (tu)

Remember our fathers brave and bold,

As they fought for Ulsters cause and for off land,

F*** Bobby Sands hees deed...... Fat C***

Oh my father said to me i must join the YCV,

With a rifle or a pistol in my hand.

:unionflag: :rangers:

The song itself is great and has no sectarian/IRA links at all. Great example of a traditional Irish folk song. It's about a guy who is sent to the colonies for stealing corn to try and feed his starving family during the famine.

Unfortunately, it has been politicised with the add-ons sung at Celtic matches.

They must go through some amount of ban buttons.

Should never be sung in any arena of mixed company, however big or small, in this country.

We the songs we beleive in to our pubs, and they should keep their song to theirs. It's unfair on people who are caught up in the middle, and it's a just typical thought process to be selfish.

also: :crabsands:

It's an anti-British song that has the duel purpose of making them feel sorry for themselves (no tim will ever pass up the chance to do that)

How is it anti-British?

It may be slightly mournful but the subjects of famine and transportation are never going to fit into a jig or a reel exactly are they.

By a lonely prison wall

I heard a young girl calling

Micheal they are taking you away

For you stole Trevelyn's corn

So the young might see the morn.

Now a prison ship lies waiting in the bay.

Low lie the Fields of Athenry

Where once we watched the small free birds fly.

Our love was on the wing we had dreams and songs to sing

It's so lonely 'round the Fields of Athenry.

By a lonely prison wall

I heard a young man calling

Nothing matter Mary when your free,

Against the Famine and the Crown

I rebelled they ran me down

Now you must raise our child with dignity.

By a lonely harbor wall

She watched the last star falling

As that prison ship sailed out against the sky

Sure she'll wait and hope and pray

For her love in Botany Bay

It's an anti-British song that has the duel purpose of making them feel sorry for themselves (no tim will ever pass up the chance to do that)

How is it anti-British?

It may be slightly mournful but the subjects of famine and transportation are never going to fit into a jig or a reel exactly are they.

is that line not anti british?

Anyway my favourite karaoke is

"Could you go a chicken supper Bobby Sands..."

How is it anti-British?

He's dead!

How is it anti-British?

He's dead!

Bah humbug, when?

Just like those 'the fields' is about then,

Where's yer sense of humour?

How is it anti-British?

He's dead!

Bah humbug, when?

Maybe I should have said deed and you might have got the message...doh!!

How is it anti-British?

He's dead!

Bah humbug, when?

Maybe I should have said deed and you might have got the message...doh!!

Sorry mate missed the cryptic clue, enlighten me

How is it anti-British?

No, it's not.

"Against the Famine and the Crown

I rebelled they ran me down"

Basically saying he rebelled against the authorities and was punished. We must be the most easily offended nation ever if that's somehow anti-british!