Corners

Weemani

Every man back defending a corner must be one of the most deplorable tactics ever conceived and if that's what the so called football men think is a progressive way forward tactic then they can shove it along with their coaching badges where the sun doesn't shine.A disgraceful tactic that should never had any place at our club.

It is really refreshing to see us keep 2 or 3 up the park at corners. Means we don't have to continually defend the second ball and allows us to turn defence into attack so much quicker.

However, wouldn't blame Ally altogether for the every man back approach. He did learn it from his mentor, Walter.

Sir Walter was the master of conservative football but I just think that it puts opposition on back foot right away keeping guys up front... I know it was only Peterhead but we did break at pace from a couple of defensive situations... As everyone is saying we're all really excited about this season, how refreshing!! The futures bright....

We keep taking quick short corners. I would much rather we took the opportunity to get the ball in the box. I hate the short corner with an absolute passion.

Agree with this, but we are also lacking in height.

Warburton clearly sees an opponent getting a corner as a chance for us.

How many times did we win the ball back today and go on a fast slick counter attack.

They knew it was only a matter of time before we ended up punishing them from one of their own corners that near the end they had 5 players in moredefensive positions. Practically made them winning a corner irrelevant.

Top stuff.

We keep taking quick short corners. I would much rather we took the opportunity to get the ball in the box. I hate the short corner with an absolute passion.

I think you may have to get used to it because I think it falls in line with MWs philosophy of retaining the ball.

Considering how rarely corner balls being fired into the box actually result in goals I think short corners are the way to go. Also the opposing team is as likely to break and have an attack on your goal if you just fire it into the box.

No, no, no - McCoist and the other graduates of the SFA 'coaching school' down at Largs were taught to get everyone back for corners. So what if you still concede goals because you have too many player in your own box? So what if you don't have a player there when you punt the ball up the park.

Free kicks aswell, we're clearly working on the set pieces in training aswell.

Yes, I liked the one with our three guys blocking the view of their keeper (although Tavenier's kick came to nothing that time). All shows that there's a lot of thought going into the training sessions.

Yes, I liked the one with our three guys blocking the view of their keeper (although Tavenier's kick came to nothing that time). All shows that there's a lot of thought going into the training sessions.

They done it last week for Tavs goal aswell.

There are a few reasons for it, TMB :pipe: The main reason is that MW likes it played to feet so the short corner gives us control over the ball, plus it opens up the angle of the goal and drags defenders wide giving more space in the box. Another reason is because we aren't exactly blessed with attackers/midfielders with any decent height it doesn't make sense to hit a high ball into the box where the percentage of winning a header is low.

Warburton clearly sees an opponent getting a corner as a chance for us.

How many times did we win the ball back today and go on a fast slick counter attack.

They knew it was only a matter of time before we ended up punishing them from one of their own corners that near the end they had 5 players in moredefensive positions. Practically made them winning a corner irrelevant.

Top stuff.

This. It makes perfect sense to leave guys up that we can get the ball to an counter attack.