**** The Official James Tavernier Appreciation Thread****

Wullie72

He's been superb so far but we haven't seen if he can defend yet.

I'd like to see how all of the defence perform when we are under the cosh a bit, maybe in a cup tie against SPFL opposition. I'm confident they'll be up to it though.

TheMotor, watched him especially in the first half at defending. I think he is strong and very quick at recovering. I also noted that even with the hieight disadvantage he never lost a headed challenge. I think he will be fine defensively. Actually my worry with him is that he tries to beat too many people sometimes and loses the ball, recovered a few but could skin us if we are all moving forward at pace. Will be good to see how he progresses in the next few months, I think he will prove his worth defensively.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He played well today, but based on what we seen last week I think he needs to improve defensively a little bit.

If he was stronger in that department he would already be playing at the top end of the championship or the premiership IMO but saying that we've got him at an age where he can still improve and if he does that I think we will be able to sell him to England for a lot of money.

Seems like he is falling in with the club already.

This. (tu)

We have taken to the guy immediately and it would appear as if a massive dose of Rangersitis is taking over him also.

Could be the start of a very special time in this boys career.

My hero :lol:

I said to my Dad just after the game if that boy keeps doing what he does he won't be here for long unfortunately,he really is a class signing.

I am still trying to get my head around the fact we got the 3 from Wigan for about £600K. :lol:

What a fuckin piece of business that is looking like being.

The person who plays right back for Wigan must be fuckin outstanding if we were able to get him to sign here and so cheaply as well.

If you're looking in Gary then you've sold us a dud...cheers!

Caldwell showing as much talent for spotting a footballer as I thought he might.

I am still trying to get my head around the fact we got the 3 from Wigan for about £600K. :lol:

What a fuckin piece of business that is looking like being.

That backheel bit of skill he done yesterday to round the peterherid player,set the ball up for Waghorn then he hit the post,oh I'm not kidding mate I nearly creamed myself :lol: That would've been goal of the season right there.

Big Robbie Kiernan as well can't ignore him he was like a fucking brick wall yesterday.

He played well today, but based on what we seen last week I think he needs to improve defensively a little bit.

If he was stronger in that department he would already be playing at the top end of the championship or the premiership IMO but saying that we've got him at an age where he can still improve and if he does that I think we will be able to sell him to England for a lot of money.

His defensive play certainly needs improving in the positional sense, but there could be other factors causing that; mainly that our defence is only 3 games old and Kiernan and Tavernier are still getting to know each others movement and which player our right midfield is supposed to be tracking. I don't think Tavernier and Kiernan played too many games together during the 6 months they were both at Wigan, so once they gel we will see just how good Tavernier is in that back line.

There's certainly seems nothing wrong with his tackling; his recovery is great and has a good motor so I'm expecting him to go from strength to strength. :pipe: