Bent and Pavlyuchenko for celtic?

Exclusive: Celtic set for double transfer swoop on Darren Bent and Roman Pavlyuchenko

Jun 17 2008 By James Traynor

CELTIC are homing in on Russia's Euro 2008 frontman Roman Pavlyuchenko and Spurs' £16million star Darren Bent.

The Parkhead club wasted little time fretting over the loss of Kyle Lafferty to Rangers and have turned their attention to the two highly-rated strikers.

Pavlyuchenko scored in Russia's 4-1 defeat by Spain last week but news that Gordon Strachan is also considering a move for Bent, who cost Spurs a cool £16.5m from Charlton last year, will excite Celtic's fans.

It would be a sensational move and with Borussia Dortmund's Swiss frontman Alexander Frei also on Celtic's radar, it is clear Strachan is determined to increase his side's firepower in the bid for four in a row.

Celtic fans were well aware of Pavlyuchenko even before Euro 2008. He scored in both legs of their Champions League qualifier against Spartak Moscow last August.

Strachan is at the finals and will have taken another look at the 26-year-old although plans to run the rule over Frei fell apart when he hobbled out of Switzerland's opening day defeat by the Czech Republic.

Bent was Charton's top scorer for two seasons before Spurs broke their club record transfer fee to snap him up.

Celtic would have to offload Bobo Balde and one or two others just to afford the player's wages but they wouldn't be wasting their time looking if they believed they couldn't put together an attractive offer.

There is no way Celtic will sign all three strikers but landing at least one is a strong possibility.

Strachan has also targeted Roma's defensive midfielder Matteo Brighi.

The 27-year-old has a year left of his contract with the Italians and his agent last night revealed there had been interest from a Scottish club.

Record Sport understands Celtic's European scout, Ray Clarke, singled out Brighi.

Voted Italy's Young Player of the Year in 2002, he had spent three seasons on loan to Chievo before making 24 appearances for Roma in Serie A in the last campaign.

Agent Vanni Puzzolo said: "I still don't know if Roma want to renew Matteo's contact. I haven't heard from them for a month but I know their coach, Luciano Spalletti, wants to keep him.

"If they want to make money by selling him they should say so. I have already had calls from Scotland asking about this.

"We're not dealing with anyone so we will continue negotiations with Roma."

Meanwhile, as revealed in Record Sport last month, Scott McDonald is ready to pledge his long-term future to Celtic by agreeing a lucrative four-year deal.

The striker's present deal ends in 2010 but he opened talks with chief executive Peter Lawwell on an extension just days before helping them clinch their third straight SPL title.

Agent Lou Sticca said: "Peter indicated the club would like to offer Scott a new contract. We have been talking since then."

there's no way in hell dick will sell him considering he is their kris boyd.

Sorry was thinking of that other guy who plays for zenit.

Pogrebnyik, Pavlyuchenko plays for Spartak Im sure (tu)

that bastard liewell did say after they won the league that strapon would get a warchest of around 20million to buy quality with so i wont be too surprised to see them sign the likes of Pavlyuchenko, i'll be pissed right off but not surprised, it's the price we paid for not ensuring cl qualification by winning the league, they bastards will strengthen far more than we can this window and while they are knocking back 10 million offers for mcgayday it would appear they have money to spend.

Paper talk and even although Bent is crap, he's streets ahead of anything we have and would tear the SPL a new one.

They have been linked with Pavlyuchenko for a few seasons now, I'd hate for them to get him but I cant see it.

Guest johngers
Exclusive: Celtic set for double transfer swoop on Darren Bent and Roman Pavlyuchenko

Jun 17 2008 By James Traynor

CELTIC are homing in on Russia's Euro 2008 frontman Roman Pavlyuchenko and Spurs' £16million star Darren Bent.

The Parkhead club wasted little time fretting over the loss of Kyle Lafferty to Rangers and have turned their attention to the two highly-rated strikers.

Pavlyuchenko scored in Russia's 4-1 defeat by Spain last week but news that Gordon Strachan is also considering a move for Bent, who cost Spurs a cool £16.5m from Charlton last year, will excite Celtic's fans.

It would be a sensational move and with Borussia Dortmund's Swiss frontman Alexander Frei also on Celtic's radar, it is clear Strachan is determined to increase his side's firepower in the bid for four in a row.

Celtic fans were well aware of Pavlyuchenko even before Euro 2008. He scored in both legs of their Champions League qualifier against Spartak Moscow last August.

Strachan is at the finals and will have taken another look at the 26-year-old although plans to run the rule over Frei fell apart when he hobbled out of Switzerland's opening day defeat by the Czech Republic.

Bent was Charton's top scorer for two seasons before Spurs broke their club record transfer fee to snap him up.

Celtic would have to offload Bobo Balde and one or two others just to afford the player's wages but they wouldn't be wasting their time looking if they believed they couldn't put together an attractive offer.

There is no way Celtic will sign all three strikers but landing at least one is a strong possibility.

Strachan has also targeted Roma's defensive midfielder Matteo Brighi.

The 27-year-old has a year left of his contract with the Italians and his agent last night revealed there had been interest from a Scottish club.

Record Sport understands Celtic's European scout, Ray Clarke, singled out Brighi.

Voted Italy's Young Player of the Year in 2002, he had spent three seasons on loan to Chievo before making 24 appearances for Roma in Serie A in the last campaign.

Agent Vanni Puzzolo said: "I still don't know if Roma want to renew Matteo's contact. I haven't heard from them for a month but I know their coach, Luciano Spalletti, wants to keep him.

"If they want to make money by selling him they should say so. I have already had calls from Scotland asking about this.

"We're not dealing with anyone so we will continue negotiations with Roma."

Meanwhile, as revealed in Record Sport last month, Scott McDonald is ready to pledge his long-term future to Celtic by agreeing a lucrative four-year deal.

The striker's present deal ends in 2010 but he opened talks with chief executive Peter Lawwell on an extension just days before helping them clinch their third straight SPL title.

Agent Lou Sticca said: "Peter indicated the club would like to offer Scott a new contract. We have been talking since then."

Stopped reading there

Guest The Brown Brogue

Rumour has it Sunderland are set to bid 12 million for Bent, dont think the filth will match that somehow...

Traynors a lying cunt

Pavyluchenko's impressed in the euros, defo worth at least 7 mil, and if he scores agains the dutch tonight then add on another few mil.

Keep dreaming celtic. :bouncy: