Rise of the Russians

Danny

2 Uefa Cups in the bag. 6 of their teams in Europe next season. And their national side looking VERY impressive tonight with an apparent new superstar in the making with Arshavin who also impressed in Zenit's run in Europe.

Not to mention a last 8 appearance in the Euros.

Money is being pumped into the Russian game and now we're starting to see the result.

They have every chance of overcoming Holland - because they're by far the best side the Dutch have faced and it will be interesting to see how they respond.

Either way - it's a rise of a game which has slept for such a long time.

Europe, watch out.

2 Uefa Cups in the bag. 6 of their teams in Europe next season. And their national side looking VERY impressive tonight with an apparent new superstar in the making with Arshavin who also impressed in Zenit's run in Europe.

Not to mention a last 8 appearance in the Euros.

Money is being pumped into the Russian game and now we're starting to see the result.

They have every chance of overcoming Holland - because they're by far the best side the Dutch have faced and it will be interesting to see how they respond.

Either way - it's a rise of a game which has slept for such a long time.

Europe, watch out.

Been thinking that myself for quite a while now,actually picked them as my dark horses for the EURO's.

holland v russia is going to be such a good game. although russia did struggle with the movement of spains midfield and attack, so lets see how they cope with the impressive dutch attack on saturday.

holland v russia is going to be such a good game. although russia did struggle with the movement of spains midfield and attack, so lets see how they cope with the impressive dutch attack on saturday.

The strength of the Dutch is less their attack, and more their counter attack. They play nice football on the counter and use RVN to anchor up front. He's their Koller - they'd fall apart without him, as the Czechs did in 2006.

I can't wait till that game, should be special.

Quarters in general look a great group of games :)

The strength of the Dutch is less their attack, and more their counter attack. They play nice football on the counter and use RVN to anchor up front. He's their Koller - they'd fall apart without him, as the Czechs did in 2006.

yep, and very unpredictable! wouldnt be surprised if we seen a semi final line up of germany, turkey, russia and italy.

yep, and very unpredictable! wouldnt be surprised if we seen a semi final line up of germany, turkey, russia and italy.

I don't really mind who wins the whole thing. Just not the Tallies. Please GOD.

as long as germany, italy or holland win, i'll be happy.

Hope that's based on a bet.

The tallies cheated us out of a place at these championships. I hope they wither up and crash out. Even beating France was pure luck.

Jammy...

Suppose Guus Hiddink learned a couple of "fixed expressions" in Russian & now he knows what to say to the team! :lol:

Russians got the youngest team on the tournament (I mean an average age of players) I'm glad they found their game (at last!).

Arshavin is the BEST!!!

722132_w2.jpg

Well, looking at Zenit alone, they crushed Bayern Munich in the semis then beat us, the club football is strong, no question about it. I like the Russian national team, theyre young, skillful and got plenty of potential. I hope they win Euro 2008.

RVN was pretty much anonymous tonight, and guess what - the Dutch had next to no attack at all.

I wonder if they will be able to keep their players at home after this tournament ... they probably have the money to do that but if the really big clubs from the west come calling it would take a lot for the players to turn them down

I wonder if they will be able to keep their players at home after this tournament ... they probably have the money to do that but if the really big clubs from the west come calling it would take a lot for the players to turn them down

22 of russia's 23 man squad play in russia and id expect the ones that have stood out to leave russia this summer. arshavin, pavlyuchenko, zhirkov and anyukov will all be attracting interest from england, spain, italy, germany, france etc....

is it just me who hopes the Russians get humped by whoever they play

Purley because i hate all things Russian After manchester :(

and Cska Moscow a few years ago :O novos great goal which the ref decided to give us a free kick insteasd of a goal :lol: cheatin bassas :)

Could turn out to be very prophetic!

Hope that's based on a bet.

The tallies cheated us out of a place at these championships. I hope they wither up and crash out. Even beating France was pure luck.

Jammy...

Don't see how the Italians cheated us?!?!?