Dutch side name McClaren as boss

Boab

McClaren failed to ensure qualification for Euro 2008

Former England manager Steve McClaren has agreed a two-year deal to manager Dutch side FC Twente.

"I'm delighted to be back in club management and looking forward to meeting staff and players," McClaren told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"I'm looking forward to the challenge of playing in the Dutch league and the Champions League qualifiers."

The chairman of FC Twente has previously admitted that some fans of the club are against the appointment.

"Ninety per cent of fans think why him? But he is used to working with top players," said Joop Munsterman.

Twente finished fourth last season to secure a place in the Champions League qualifiers for the first time.

"I noted from the first meeting with chairman Joop Munsterman and other people at the club that they were very co-operative.

"It's an exciting time for the club, they were very successful under Fred Rutten (now at Bundesliga side Schalke) and I cannot wait to start."

McClaren, who has had spells as Middlesbrough manager and number two to Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United, has been out of the game since being sacked by England in November after failing to secure a place at Euro 2008.

The 47-year-old, who had been linked to the vacant manager's position at Premier League side Blackburn Rovers, also told the BBC that he sought the advice of former PSV Eindhoven and England boss Sir Bobby Robson before accepting the role.

"He also told me that FC Twente is a fantastic club and that I would feel at home.

"I am excited to be working again at a club that fits me well. I am looking forward to this new challenge."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7427342.stm

Interesting appointment.

Good luck FC Twente. Brutal manager.

They did well last season and are in the Champions League qualifiers. Some good players aswell, Engelaar, Kufo, Maaroufi, Tiote....

His tactical ineptness got Middlesbrough to the UEFA Cup final.

When they played to his tactics they were hopeless, but when he didnt know what he was doing and threw on 5 strikers a miracle happened, twice

Uefa cup final? pah! :craphead:

McClaren failed to ensure qualification for Euro 2008

Former England manager Steve McClaren has agreed a two-year deal to manager Dutch side FC Twente.

"I'm delighted to be back in club management and looking forward to meeting staff and players," McClaren told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"I'm looking forward to the challenge of playing in the Dutch league and the Champions League qualifiers."

The chairman of FC Twente has previously admitted that some fans of the club are against the appointment.

"Ninety per cent of fans think why him? But he is used to working with top players," said Joop Munsterman.

Twente finished fourth last season to secure a place in the Champions League qualifiers for the first time.

"I noted from the first meeting with chairman Joop Munsterman and other people at the club that they were very co-operative.

"It's an exciting time for the club, they were very successful under Fred Rutten (now at Bundesliga side Schalke) and I cannot wait to start."

McClaren, who has had spells as Middlesbrough manager and number two to Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United, has been out of the game since being sacked by England in November after failing to secure a place at Euro 2008.

The 47-year-old, who had been linked to the vacant manager's position at Premier League side Blackburn Rovers, also told the BBC that he sought the advice of former PSV Eindhoven and England boss Sir Bobby Robson before accepting the role.

"He also told me that FC Twente is a fantastic club and that I would feel at home.

"I am excited to be working again at a club that fits me well. I am looking forward to this new challenge."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7427342.stm

Shite appointment.

(tu)