Mark Warburton Open To Rangers Job Discussions

WATBB

Brentford manager Mark Warburton a target to replace Stuart McCall as Rangers boss

Outgoing Brentford boss Mark Warburton has been sounded out about the possibility of taking over as Rangers manager next season — a move that could facilitate an Ibrox return for former captain David Weir.

Weir has operated as Warburton’s assistant for the past 18 months and Brentford’s play-off defeat to Middlesbrough on Friday night has freed the duo to seek alternative employment as the Championship club pursues its surprise decision to implement a new coaching structure.

Although it is not yet clear in what division Rangers themselves will be playing in next season, the Ibrox board have tentatively begun the process of speaking to potential candidates for a post that is currently filled by Stuart McCall.

It’s understood that Warburton and Weir have been receptive to Rangers’ initial advances and would be willing to formally discuss moving their successful partnership to Glasgow.

McCall replaced caretaker Kenny McDowall in March with a mandate to get Rangers promoted from the Championship and that remit has not changed.

He still retains hope of landing the job on a permanent basis and will enhance his claims should he see off Queen of the South at Ibrox in Sunday's second leg of the Premiership Play-Off quarter-final.

However, responding to reports earlier this week linking MK Dons manager Karl Robinson with the job, McCall admitted that he expected the Rangers board to be widening their options.

He said: ‘It’s rightly so that the club will be speaking to other people. You have to bear in mind that our board are new to it and I imagine they would be taking advice.

‘I would imagine I would have to go for a formal interview. I don’t think there is any doubt about that.’

A one-time Leicester City youth player turned City trader, Warburton had an unconventional route into management, founding the short-lived European youth football tournament the NextGen Series before taking on a youth coaching role at Watford.

He initially joined Brentford as sporting director in 2011 and then became manager two years later.

Despite turning the Griffin Park club into surprise Premier League promotion candidates, Warburton, 52, was told by owner Matthew Benham in February his services would not be required beyond the summer.

Responding to the suggestion that Sunday's match could be his last in charge, McCall said:

‘I can’t allow myself to feel like that because I don’t like negativity creeping in. It’s a fair question but I haven’t given it a thought.

‘When I first came into the job, I knew what was being asked of me.’

463425854-mark-warburton-the-brentford-m

-Daily Mail

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would tie in with what I've heard but I've also heard we will be bringing in a DoF and I think that's one of the reasons he's leaving Brentford?

Again, just what I'm hearing. Could be absolute pish.

Would tie in with what I've heard but I've also heard we will be bringing in a DoF and I think that's one of the reasons he's leaving Brentford?

Again, just what I'm hearing. Could be absolute pish.

It is the reason he's leaving Brentford; Was told in February the direction the club would be heading in, and that a DoF would be appointed etc, Warburton refused to work with a Director of Football because he felt that he couldn't do his job the way he wanted to, with a DoF looking over his shoulder/making transfers etc.

If we do land Warburton & Weir; I doubt we'll bring in a DoF.

It is the reason he's leaving Brentford; Was told in February the direction the club would be heading in, and that a DoF would be appointed etc, Warburton refused to work with a Director of Football because he felt that he couldn't do his job the way he wanted to, with a DoF looking over his shoulder/making transfers etc.

If we do land Warburton & Weir; I doubt we'll bring in a DoF.

Like I've said, the guy I've spoke to is usually bang on so from what I've heard it doesn't make sense to have the DoF come in with Weir and another (Warburton wasn't named specifically).

What concerns me is the reason why McCall is being hunted.

Like I've said, the guy I've spoke to is usually bang on so from what I've heard it doesn't make sense to have the DoF come in with Weir and another (Warburton wasn't named specifically).

Why is he being hunted mate?

Wouldn't say McCall is being hunted, more likely the club are just considering all of their options.

Chelsea. Appointed Rafa Benitez as their interim Manager (great manager) won them the Europa League, and still Chelsea got rid of him and went another direction, Jose Mourinho.

McCall doesn't really sit too well with me tbh though, the way he crashed and burned out of Motherwell sits firmly in my mind, he folded under pressure basically after admitting he "couldn't do anything to change things" when it got bad. What's he going to be like on Old Firm days? Managing us in Europe? Important matches? The pressure at Rangers is much more intense than Motherwell, any slip ups and it's front page/back page headlines, all over TV, all over the world really.

Warburton, Weir & McParland would do for me.

Breath of fresh air and as a team cover all the bases re- playing style, recruitment, youth promotion allied to working to a limited budget whilst over achieving given their resources in comparison to their opposition.

don't know why we need to replace mccall unless he doesn't want the job? i know he ain't amazing but he's doing a good job and would like to give him a full season to get us into the premiership or get us as far up the premiership as possible before letting someone else in.

he is the 3rd manager we've had this season. do we really need a new guy coming in?