All Quiet On The "we Should Play The Youth!" Front

strange that, we get to the final stages of the season and now that it's make or break time the obsessed on here that used to always bleat about "we don't need the older players, the youth could manage this" seem to have shut up.

could it be that their finally seeing that experience is needed to manage these final games and in most cases (not all) - the youth just aren't up to the standard required to play these crunch games?

or will they now come out with their rhetoric that "gallagher should be starting every game" seeing as i'm calling them out?

experience wins you the battles, not the agility of youth.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think bringing Gallagher on rather than Boyd last night would have given us a far more useful out ball.

I agree with you, that we probably need the experienced heads in there, but we could use some youthful legs to cause the opposition defence problems as the game wears on - because Clark and Miller are slow to start with and always tire.

However, I'm not one who thinks bringing Gasparotto in is the best idea - it would worry me to have someone that's a bit of an unknown in such an important position. It's a risk that could pay off, but not a risk you'd like to take and get wrong.

the youth are not at the standard we expect. We have a poor first team squad and they cant even break into that. Aird is back playing with the under 12's. And its not just the youth - mccall has sidelined others who he reckons aren't up to it - Temps being the most obvious

And in fairness mccall has this squad playing far better than mccoist ever could - so the reasons for him going with youth have decreased.

In these one off big games, experience is often crucial, how many of the youngsters would have taken a shot with the outside of their wrong foot for the 2nd goal, that sort of confidence comes from playing in big games, the youths may lack fear which comes from being young, but sometimes confidence from experience trumps confidence from youth.

It's a good thing that fans want to see youth players brought through, experience is certainly key in games like last night though.

We have brought through Murdoch and Macleod in the last two years and recently given people like Walsh and Hardie a chance. I'm happy with McCall's youth policy, I wasn't with Mccoists.

I was very disappointed in McCall for throwing on Boyd last night. A slow, unfit striker didn't give us an out ball and invited pressure on ourselves. If we had an energetic and quick player to chase down long balls I think we'd have been in a less frantic state.

I had no problem with Smith coming on. I was slightly despondent at Black's introduction. It was understandable but again invited pressure.

These are the games young boys will learn a lot in. So for me they should be involved.

Maybe people are just focusing their attention on supporting the team during one of the most important periods we've had on the pitch in years.

Do people still think we need a younger team, probably. I certainly think we do but is there really any point going on and on with three games of the season left when we haven't really done it at all this season?

Got to love these posts. Once again the calls for youth taken completely out of context.

I can't speak for everyone, but I personally called on under performers being dropped for youth players selectively. In other words not playing 11 youths.

Look at the difference Murdoch makes to the midfield compared to Black. The difference here is Murdoch was given a chance early enough to get used to being in the team do that at this crucial stage he fits in. Had we done this with Gallagher, hardie, sinnamon, gasparotto et al then who can say for certain whether they would have been a Murdoch or an Aird?

Until a player gets a fair crack of the whip we can't truly judge them. We can all give an opinion based on gut instincts or limited sources of info e.g. Development team reports, how they played on loan etc. but the proof of whether they are good enough or not only comes when they get a chance.

Imagine the likes of man utds class on 92 if they never got a chance? Not that I am making direct comparisons to our youth but until they were played it wasn't a certainty they'd be good or bad.

The bottom line is that McCall and K Black have got these experienced players playing again and believing in themselves and that's why you can come on here saying where's all the people wanting youth played. I do take heart from Murdoch though and it just makes you wonder if he is the only bright light from the youth ranks or if there are other gems there too.

If youth had been given their chance in the team when we had the biggest chance to put them in, in alongside some experienced heads, then they'd probably have what's required to play in these crunch games by now, instead our management team bottled it and put too much reliance on the over the hill, 'experienced', players and we ended up losing the league by 20+ points.

The likes of Hardie, Gallacher, Murdoch and even McKay could have easily led this team if they'd been used properly from the start. Chance missed, no question about it.

We should have been giving youth players a chance in the last two seasons. We won both leagues by huge margins and we had the ideal opportunity to see what the boys could do. The utter shambles this season made it almost impossible to throw boys into the team although McCall has certainly given Murdoch the chance to prove himself.