All Quiet On The "we Should Play The Youth!" Front

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

strange that, we get to the final stages of the season and now that it's make or break time the obsessed on here that used to always bleat about "we don't need the older players, the youth could manage this" seem to have shut up.

could it be that their finally seeing that experience is needed to manage these final games and in most cases (not all) - the youth just aren't up to the standard required to play these crunch games?

or will they now come out with their rhetoric that "gallagher should be starting every game" seeing as i'm calling them out?

experience wins you the battles, not the agility of youth.

Had ally still been here ian black would have played nect to kyle hutton and we'd never even know who andy murdoch is, and not have a clue if vuckic is good enough

I bet if you compared our average age last night to us getting beaten 3-1 at ibrox under ally its a younger squad

Had ally still been here ian black would have played nect to kyle hutton and we'd never even know who andy murdoch is, and not have a clue if vuckic is good enough

I bet if you compared our average age last night to us getting beaten 3-1 at ibrox under ally its a younger squad

not about age - it's about experience.

Good enough old enough, if your shite your age doesnt matter. Lets get the next game out of the way then if possible beat motherwell then worry about youth. too much else to worry about

by being good enough to line up against the opposition, which their not.

How do you know

Walter Smith tried to sell barry Ferguson to hearts in the 10iar season

Dick advocast had him captaining us less than 3 years later as he was strutting his stuff against europes elite in the Champions League

Look at the rangers team cuffed 4-0 off hibs at easter road, are you seriously saying that young hungry players would have lost by more

How do you know

Walter Smith tried to sell barry Ferguson to hearts in the 10iar season

Dick advocast had him captaining us less than 3 years later as he was strutting his stuff against europes elite in the Champions League

Look at the rangers team cuffed 4-0 off hibs at easter road, are you seriously saying that young hungry players would have lost by more

because when they have been fleetingly used they have been nothing better than what we have and most have looked average at best who would capitulate in the top league.

by being good enough to line up against the opposition, which their not.

What do you base them not being good enough? Until they get regular game time you can't say one way or the other.

The fact McCall isn't playing a team full of youth players doesn't mean they are all crap, it just means he selects his team for each game based on the strengths and weaknesses of the opposition and what players he has available for selection.

Youth programmes at any club tend to have more failures than successes that's why we won't expect to see 11 youth players starting at any point in the future, but in order to find out who's good and who isn't you need to play them. The time most of the calls for youth came was pre-McCall, a time when the experienced players didn't try, didn't fight for one another and didn't deserve to wear the jersey. Since McCall has come in the players have some spirit back and that's why the calls for youth have subsided a little because the squad we have should have been good enough to win the league with a sprinkling of the best youth players we have currently.

What you're saying is true but I think it's when the experienced players underperform that we get annoyed not seeing them be replaced with youth. At least that's how it is for me.

I have no problem playing the experienced players every week providing that they are performing at a high level, as they have been so far throughout the play-offs.

because when they have been fleetingly used they have been nothing better than what we have and most have looked average at best who would capitulate in the top league.

Fleetingly? Come on mate you're at it. So basically they need a Wayne Rooney still debut to be classed as any good. Murdoch has settled in well as time has passed and he has played more games, if he was used fleetingly then he'd not have progressed at all.

They are young players, they need to develop and until they do you won't know for certain if they are going to cut it, that's why it's so difficult to develop youngsters rather than just buying experienced players.

Always been an advocate for Miller and glad that he is staying on next year. He might not be as fast but he has a footballing brain and he made a good contribution last night.

That finish was honestly world class last night (tu)

So instead you are happy to stick with the same experienced pros who

Blew a 2 goal lead away to alloa in the diddy cup

Shat themselves against the tarriers in the cup

Lost at home to raith in the cup

Allowed a recently out of administration hearts team to win the league in march

Allowed a recently relegated hibs team who pverhauled their team last summer to beat us to 2nd place

All of this happened this season, want me to go back another two seasons

So instead you are happy to stick with the same experienced pros who

Blew a 2 goal lead away to alloa in the diddy cup

Shat themselves against the tarriers in the cup

Lost at home to raith in the cup

Allowed a recently out of administration hearts team to win the league in march

Allowed a recently relegated hibs team who pverhauled their team last summer to beat us to 2nd place

All of this happened this season, want me to go back another two seasons

no i'm happy to have a new team rebuilt what with 12 of them being out of contract. A few i would keep on but most are better than the youth option in their positions.

Neglect our youth development for years and then when 6 of the biggest games in 3 years come along we've just to throw them in at the deep end? That's not how it works. Most teams try to develop the young players by bring in them in to the fold slowly with constant work being done on improvement. We should've been signing and playing youth players for the last 3 years but that ship has sailed.

King has basically said in his interviews released this morning, that it has been a failure that the team didn't blood and use youths while climbing through the leagues.

That would've been the best time to do it. Not during playoffs.

no i'm happy to have a new team rebuilt what with 12 of them being out of contract. A few i would keep on but most are better than the youth option in their positions.

how can you tell if they are better than the youths in their positions

point out the youths that got regular game time, and when i say regular game time i dont mean 15 minutes at the end of games, and then point out the guys better than them from the experienced range

I think it was just because we were performing so bad that people were thinking, why not just play youths.

We brought in so much dross who underperformed, that youths couldnt possibly do any worse.

Where do you begin, and how far could you go. So I will be brief. Since McCoist has gone and McCall has arrived, there has been a complete turn around in the attitude of the players both on and off the pitch. I am not willing to restate the obvious. What is clear that now the proper direction is in place we are now looking at senior players who are playing with pride and passion. There is now a clear understanding as to what is expected of them. So our senior players have raised their game, younger players are also seeing that they have an opportunity to be part of something special. McCall had been a wizard at returning a totally dysfunctional squad into an orderly team- and he as achieved this without knee jerk reactions or throwing the baby out of the bathtub along with the dirty water.

I think the issue was that people wanted the 'youth' in because the first team was rank rotten.

Funnily enough now that Simonsen, Black, McCulloch, Moshni and Boyd have all been largely benched, for better (mostly younger) players there are less complaints.

Guys like Murdoch, Walsh, Hardie and less experienced guys such as Clarke, Vuckic have all played a big part.

Pace, mobility and effort that we didn't have with Ally's pals.