Stewart Regan Was Hand Picked By The SFA, But Only Stewart Regan Can Say So

DarcheVinny

Stewart Regan Was Hand Picked By The SFA, But Only Stewart Regan Can Say So by JCS

[imgleft]http://rangersmedia.co.uk/images/resized/images/wv5stewartregansfa_200_200.jpg[/imgleft]Many of you may recall that I wrote an article some months ago entitled, “The Mysterious Past and Recruitment of Stewart Regan”.

The opening paragraphs of my article dealt with the controversy surrounding Stewart Regan’s appointment as Chief Executive of the Scottish Football Association.

Prior to the publication of my RangersMedia article it had already been alleged that a formal, structured recruitment and selection process may have been subverted by an individual/s who invited Stewart Regan to apply for the job, and the core allegation was, therefore, that Mr. Regan was ‘hand-picked’ for the post.

My article repeated those allegations and, as a direct consequence, the RangersMedia team received two letters from Stewart Regan’s solicitors dated 2nd May 2012 and 4th May 2012, the latter specifically referring to a quite separate post on the site entitled, “Stewart Regan was asked to apply for his SFA job”

The first letter dated, 2nd May 2012 from Mr. Regan’s solicitors, Burness of Bothwell Street, Glasgow, is reproduced in part below.

Dear Sir

Scottish Football Association (“The Association”), Rangers Media blog post “The Mysterious Past and Recruitment of Stewart Regan”

We act for the Association who have contacted us in relation to a blog on your website.

The post entitled “The Mysterious Past and Recruitment of Stewart Regan” contains many false and grossly defamatory allegations against the Association’s Chief Executive, Stewart Regan and also the Association. By way of illustration only:

Mr. Regan was not specifically invited to apply for his present role

The phrase in bold above is unequivocal in its assertion that Stewart Regan was not invited to apply for the Chief Executive post, and the 2nd letter, dated 4th May 2012 is equally definitive in its statement that,

“We note that a blog on your website entitled “Stewart Regan was ‘asked to apply’ for his SFA job” remains on your website. It also contains false and defamatory allegations against the Association.

All such allegations are false and extremely damaging to the Association’s reputation".

Whilst allegations continued to circulate in football circles about Stewart Regan’s appointment as Chief Executive of the SFA, Rangers Media studiously avoided any further reference to the matter in light of the inherent legal threat contained in the letters from Burness.

However, in a television interview with BBC Scotland’s Chris McLaughlin just a few days ago, on 31st July 2012, Stewart Regan appears to contradict the statements made by his legal advisors on his behalf in relation to his appointment as Chief Executive of the SFA.

During the interview entitled, “Stewart Regan defends Scottish FA leadership”, Chris McLaughlin asks Mr. Regan if there has ever been a time when he considered his position – that ‘enough is enough – that it’s time to get out’.

Stewart Regan replies, “I came here to do a job two years ago, I was head-hunted to come in and modernise Scottish football……”

You can listen to the interview and his response above on the BBC Sports website. The interview lasts 14 minutes 14 seconds and his specific statement is at 10 minutes 20 seconds

“I WAS HEAD-HUNTED TO COME IN” - that is what Stewart Regan says.

Now forgive me if you consider my interpretation of his statement to be incorrect, but doesn’t that mean that someone ‘invited’ him to join the SFA; that someone identified him as THE man for the job and contacted him to encourage his application; that someone actively sought to persuade him to apply for the job; that someone purposefully set out to discuss the appointment with him and engage him?

Well, that’s what I understand ‘head-hunted’ to mean. Certainly the Cambridge dictionary concurs with my definition,

“to persuade someone to leave their job by offering them another job with more pay and a higher position”

But, perhaps, you prefer the Oxford English Dictionary definition,

“identify and approach someone employed elsewhere to fill a business position”

Mr. Regan’s solicitors – writing on his behalf and, I assume, with his full authority and consent – tell us unequivocally, and unreservedly, that he was ‘not specifically invited to apply for his present role’ and, if that is correct, then Stewart Regan is clearly telling lies in his interview with Chris McLaughlin.

However, the statement from Burness solicitors, made on Stewart Regan’s behalf in response to my article, will be untrue if Stewart Regan has lied to them and deliberately sought to deceive them.

I’m not sure that there is any other logical conclusion given Regan's 'I was headhunted' statement. Regan certainly cannot claim to have been headhunted by the Scottish Football Association and then also claim that he was not ‘invited’ to apply for the post.

Equally he cannot assert that he applied for the post of his own volition, was not ‘invited’ or induced to apply, then assert proudly that ‘I was headhunted to come in and modernise Scottish football’.

This is not merely some simple contradiction, or a minor misunderstanding or a misinterpretation.

No, this revelation calls into question Stewart Regan’s honesty and integrity and that of the senior officials of the SFA who were responsible for the recruitment and selection process and his subsequent appointment.

But more than that, it raises serious, significant and fundamental questions about how the SFA went about recruiting its new Chief Executive. If, indeed, Regan was headhunted - as he clearly and unequivocally states – then who at the SFA authorised it?

How, when and by whom was Stewart Regan identified as the candidate to be headhunted?

Was this the collective decision of the SFA Board?

Was Stewart Regan the only candidate to be identified and approached in this way?

If not, how were the applications of the other candidates considered, rejected and eventually discarded?

Who at the SFA gave the required authorisation to approach and headhunt Regan?

Why was an agreed recruitment and selection process not initiated and conducted in accordance with SFA Memorandum, Articles, Rules and Procedures , and in compliance with statutory equality legislation and best practice?

These are but some of the many questions that now demand answers.

Stewart Regan and his SFA colleagues clearly monitor the RangersMedia website; perhaps, they will now provide answers to these questions.

Should they decline, perhaps, they must be asked more formally.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

However, the statement from Burness solicitors, made on Stewart Regan’s behalf in response to my article, will be untrue if Stewart Regan has lied to them and deliberately sought to deceive them.

Bold, very bold.

Probably true though.

I'm not in the slightest decrying what you have typed BUT... could you not have this evidence looked at elsewhere.... elsewhere as in somewhere where it WOULD make a difference rather than in here where we 'folk' would all simply say yay or nay to what you have written I mean ?

In here it means not a lot BUTY maybe somewhere else it would 'hold water' so to speak ?

What indeed does the sfa say about this ? (spl or SFL?)

IF THIS IS ALL TRUE.... get it in the newspapers at least. :clap:

No way is Regan reading on here.

I'm not in the slightest decrying what you have typed BUT... could you not have this evidence looked at elsewhere.... elsewhere as in somewhere where it WOULD make a difference rather than in here where we 'folk' would all simply say yay or nay to what you have written I mean ?

In here it means not a lot BUTY maybe somewhere else it would 'hold water' so to speak ?

The SFA say what is included in the article above.

Lots of people read the RangersMedia news page, and this forum, not just Rangers fans :sherlock:

Lawyers should be acting on this, it just stinks to high heavens, and I can't believe they got lawyers onto bloggers.

Indeed !

IF there is ANY truth in this article then it SHOULD be put forward in evidence in what WOULD be tantamount as one of the BIGGEST cases in Scottish Football History, so which is it ?

IS Regan guilty or what ?

IF this is just here-say shit then it shouldn't be allowed on these pages.... less this forum is kiddy on ?

It would suprise you who is reeding things on here, also RM is a fantastice source of information.

IF there is ANY truth in this article then it SHOULD be put forward in evidence in what WOULD be tantamount as one of the BIGGEST cases in Scottish Football History, so which is it ?

IF this is just here-say shit then it shouldn't be allowed on these pages.... less this forum is kiddy on ?

:shifty:

Mr. Regan’s solicitors me thinks. :unsure:

Unlike bigotry I'm sure head hunted can't have many meanings at all, and the op has put this forward brilliantly, now I expect perhaps the press will pick up on this, but to be completely honest they should know this already, what the he'll does it take for action.

Unlike bigotry I'm sure head hunted can't have many meanings at all, and the op has put this forward brilliantly, now I expect perhaps the press will pick up on this, but to be completely honest they should know this already, what the he'll does it take for action.

The mind boggles ? (and the dude with the shifty eyes... grow-up... btw the 54 bit,,, i used 54 and STILL counting on Daily Record facebook waaaay before you, find a name :) )

The mind boggles ? (and the dude with the shifty eyes... grow-up... btw the 54 bit,,, i used 54 and STILL counting on Daily Record facebook waaaay before you, find a name :) )

What?