Adrian Durham Superb Article

The EPL is watched worldwide. Even bottom of the table clashes. You try selling Ross County v St Mirren to folk in the Far East....

the only difference is the money to buy decent players - there are no more sunderland/Swansea fans in the far east than there are St mirren/Ross county fans.

The money the EPL get attracts players, advertisers, then viewers - chicken and egg.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am one of the 10% you are talking about and i hardly ever watch scottish football on sky except if it is a gers game i am sure the majority of scottish viewers buy sky for the english premiership or other leagues etc

yes but you might if it was far better quality - I dont watch other Scottish games either - because its all mince. Investment makes it better quality, drawing more viewers.

the EPL is massively over valued. i think the SPL given the viewer numbers (not the product) is undervalued. Whats ridiculous about that?

We are left with the scraps from the table because we have negotiated poorly, but which is substantially not helped by no old firm games.

The EPL is not overvalued and the SPL is not undervalued, they are both paid what they are worth. I don't think you understand how SKY position Football to make money overall. Without the EPL Sky would lose the majority of their subscribers meaning they wouldn't be getting £16 for phone line rentals, broadband etc. Ask yourself how many Subscribers they would lose if the dropped Scottish Football and ask yourself how many that would lose if they lost English football.

99% of Scottish football fans watch English Football, there is little interest in Scottish Football

yes but you might if it was far better quality - I dont watch other Scottish games either - because its all mince. Investment makes it better quality, drawing more viewers.

You've highlighted a pretty good point and argued it well throughout the thread (tu)

I'm in agreement, the product might not be that great right now but if it sees investment then it'll improve. Sometimes you need to speculate to accumulate.

Scottish clubs should get together and refuse to play them, because if they get beat they will say they were cheated.. They wont accept a defeat so what is the point of playing them.

Because it doesn't matter whether they accept the defeat or not, they still get defeated.

The EPL is watched worldwide. Even bottom of the table clashes. You try selling Ross County v St Mirren to folk in the Far East....

If you hype it up big style, you can even makes games like Sunderland vs QPR seem attractive. Or maybe not.

The EPL is not overvalued and the SPL is not undervalued, they are both paid what they are worth. I don't think you understand how SKY position Football to make money overall. Without the EPL Sky would lose the majority of their subscribers meaning they wouldn't be getting £16 for phone line rentals, broadband etc. Ask yourself how many Subscribers they would lose if the dropped Scottish Football and ask yourself how many that would lose if they lost English football.

99% of Scottish football fans watch English Football, there is little interest in Scottish Football

EPL is massively overvalued. Hopefully there is a day of reckoning for them in the near future.

sorry I totally disagree with your first two points. It's now at the stage where sky are actively paying people off and cutting staff to pay the money because there whole system is founded on it.

It's not about comparing us with England, it's about getting a reasonable share because of the viewing percentage I mentioned earlier.

We don't get it at the moment.

sorry I totally disagree with your first two points. It's now at the stage where sky are actively paying people off and cutting staff to pay the money because there whole system is founded on it.

It's not about comparing us with England, it's about getting a reasonable share because of the viewing percentage I mentioned earlier.

I agree with you and, just to stick my oar in to the argument, the reason the EPL is so popular is because SKY took it and ran with it.

15-20 years ago the EPL wasn't in the same level as it is now. SKY realised that if they pumped billions into the League, hyped it up then maintained the rights to show the games then they'd be on to a winner.

You're right, it is a chicken and egg scenario and I think the money arrived before the product.

If SKY were to even put £200M into Scottish football over 5 years - a small fraction of the EPL money, over a longer period - it would make a massive difference.

The problem is that Sky have their golden goose; they do not need Scottish football. However, as Scotland voted "No", why do we not just have one Association for all of the UK?

sky are now paying through the nose. It's not so golden any more. It's more a lead noose, than a golden goose.

Adrian Durham loves getting ripped into them. His radio broadcast about the beasts writing to the SFA was brilliant.

Unfortunately don't listen much to matches on Talksport anymore due to that cunt Collymore!!!

The viewing percentage generated in Scotland is primarily driven to watch the EPL, Providing Scottish football on Sky hardly increases the subscribers which is why it is worth buttons. Scottish chip off the shoulder