What a learning experience Ally has had.

Anonymous yesterday and anonymous v the Bheasts

Do you not see him breaking up play and chasing the opposition down?

This is the type of player Edu is and every team needs one, he is not going to srand out but his job on the pitch is vital.

He has had a very consistent season and not done much wrong, he won't be dropped and thank god for that.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there are many who don't think he's up to it, but I disagree.

I feel he was severely hampered by the lack of strikers up front.

Yes Europe went badly, and he has to take his share of that blame, but some the sitters missed and the dodgy defending of certain players certainly were not something he can take full blame for. Perhaps our pre-season was a little lacking, especially in terms of game time.

As for himself, he's undeniably intelligent, a great communicator and a Ranger to the core, who has been through the gloom of the early mid 80s, the revival and the resurgence under Walter.

Working along side Walter must be as good a grounding as you can get in the game, especially from a Rangers perspective.

Add to this the experiences of this season, where he's been hindered to a ludicrous extent, he has shown the strength of character and leadership to lead an otherwise rudderless ship. He has cut through all the bull in the media, as if he was some high-ranking corporate accountant.

I say he has enough to turn this ship around with proper backing and certainly hope to watch him lead his team to a triumphal return to our rightful position next year.

For all these reasons, I'm not for switching horses when I believe we have a winner.

Oh well, flack jacket and kevlar helmet on.

Sorry mate but I have to disagree with you about Ally.

A legend as a player, a great guy, a Gers fan and good with the media but as a football manager, he has been simply awful. I know that he has had a lot to contend with since we went into administration but what preceded that was not good management.

The Club's current plight has clouded many people's judgement about Ally's football managerial skills. Showing dignity in the face of financial adversity is certainly a wonderful attribute but it doesn't win football matches. Player signings, team selection and tactics have left a lot to be desired, to say the least.

I derive no pleasure from criticising any employee of Rangers FC, whether it be the manager, player, groundsman or someone selling the burgers but if they lack ability or fail to achieve the standard required of them in their job then their position has to come under threat.

There comes a time when you have to step back, set sentiment aside and and try to take an objective view on the situation. Many fans appear unable or unwilling to do that with regard to Ally.

Having said the above, I think Ally will be given a second chance next season by whoever is in charge of the Club. I just can't see any new owner replacing Ally.

My heart fervently hopes that Ally can learn from this season's failings and prove me wrong but my head is telling me something different.

Off to my bunker now. :uk:

I can't help but laugh at the collection of hindsight-managers on here :D

Not a single one of them knows the degree of shite McCoist has had to deal with behind the scenes from the get-go.

Hardly hindsight when it was being said in pre-season, but don't let that get in the way of a chance for you to indulge in a wee bit of flag waving. If McCoist was perturbed by what was happening with Whyte from the 'get-go', why did he just keep his mouth shut until it was all too late?

In our 26 SPL matches this season before we entered Administration we had dropped 17 points and stood on 61 points.

In the 2010 / 2011 last season (last season) after 26 matches we had dropped 16 points and stood on 62 points.

There's doubts to be had over Ally's performances in Europe and in the Domestic Cup Competitions but the bread & butter is always winning the SPL and I am of the opinion that we would have triumphed in the SPL this year had it not been for administration.

Also worth bearing in mind that Ally achieved those points without players like Kenny Miller, Jelavic, Naismith & Lafferty all been consistently available which they were to us in 2010 / 2011.

Another season is justified but he must bring home the SPL title or leave (tu)

Hardly hindsight when it was being said in pre-season, but don't let that get in the way of a chance for you to indulge in a wee bit of flag waving. If McCoist was perturbed by what was happening with Whyte from the 'get-go', why did he just keep his mouth shut until it was all too late?

The man owned the club and McCoist was the manager? What exactly could he have done and what exactly would it have done to go shouting to the media?

I bet McCoist had discussions with Whyte behind the scenes as he would have been suspicious of what was going on but Ally had no idea what was to come or that Whyte had taken so many people for mugs (tu)

I can't help but laugh at the collection of hindsight-managers on here :D

Not a single one of them knows the degree of shite McCoist has had to deal with behind the scenes from the get-go.

It's hard for some to stray from the norm, I won't even pretend I know either way but mcoist is a fan like us and this point makes me think I'd be in bits with that responsibility if I had it, I feel for the guy in that sense but I ain't daft enough to expect glories all the way from a man who in honesty is starting his managerial career in the worst possible way, but I'm positive this will make him more determined and even stronger as a person and a manager.

Couple of months ago I would have said get rid of him however after recent events he has proved he is a worthy Rangers manager...I think ally will get it right on the park next season...I would like to see a good assistant coach beside him next season.

Unless next season is a complete disaster, I would think that Ally should get at least 2 seasons. I don't know what people expect from the team next season but let's forget the flag waving and sabre rattling for a minute. While it would obviously be fantastic to regain our title next season a lot is going to happen and if we do have a squad made up of youths and one or two experienced pros are people really expecting Ally to deliver the title. What's happened to all the people saying play the youths watch our finances we rebuild our squad.

I would say that qualifying for champs league a must for next season ( will we still have 2 places then) to give us the additional funds to increase the quality of the 1st team. Then the next season I would expect Ally to deliver a cup and or league with staying in euro league after Xmas as a bonus.

I think this may be a more realistic set of goals if not popular.

Yesterday when St Mirren were down to 10 men every time they had a corner we had every man inside our box defending.When you do that there is no getout and you are under pressure as soon as the ball is cleared,at home against 10 men that is a joke.Also the last half hour yesterday was as boring as i've ever seen as the tactic seemed to be job done do no more.I don't like McCoist's tactics and i don't think he should be Rangers manager.As a man and a Rangers legend they don't come much bigger but as a manager i'm sorry but not for me.

@ laefd

Need to look further than point total's, last season we played the scum three times(twice at the dump) Hearts away is probably the hardest venue outside the scum, last season we went there twice, this season once. Would argue Walter had the harder fixture run when comparing both set's of fixtures, then you must take into we played six hard champions league matches and more Europa League knockout games.

Jelavic was injured for about 3 or so months. Ally had him much more use of him than Walter. Naisy played in 11 of those games, would have been more if he never got himself a suspension, would think he never played all season at times on here. Certainly our most important player but a club like ours should have enough resources to cover such a loss.

Lafferty made 16 appearances this season, Miller had 18 last year.

The problem next season is that we could be considerably weaker in squad terms, would it be fair to any manager expecting them to win the title if such a scenario arrives?

People will need to get realistic about next season unless we get a owner who will invest and keep our assets. Cel*ic will strengthen the squad especially if they somehow gain CL football while if we lose our better players it will take a mammoth effort to win the title.

Our expectations will rest on how we emerge from administration.

@ laefd

Need to look further than point total's, last season we played the scum three times(twice at the dump) Hearts away is probably the hardest venue outside the scum, last season we went there twice, this season once. Would argue Walter had the harder fixture run when comparing both set's of fixtures, then you must take into account we played six hard champions league matches.

Jelavic was injured for about 3 or so months. Ally had much more use of him than Walter. Naisy played in 11 of those games, would have been more if he never got himself a suspension, would think he never played all season at times on here. Certainly our most important player but a club like ours should have enough resources to cover such a loss.

Lafferty made 16 appearances this season before his hamstring, Miller had 18 last year.

The problem next season is that we could be considerably weaker in squad terms, would it be fair to any manager expecting them to win the title if such a scenario arrives?

Jelavic was injured for three months in which we had Kenny Miller and Ally loses him for just under half a season due to his sale to Everton not to mention the games against Motherwell and Hibs in January where he was unable to play almost certainly due to his impending transfer so Walter still got better use of him.

True we played the Scum more in the number of games I quoted than in Ally's but Ally has taken more points against Celtic already this season than we managed against them in 2010/2011 - 6 points already with game to go vs 4 points.

Our club should have enough resources to cover Naismith's loss and more importantly clubs that win Championships are the one's that triumph inspite of injury to key personal so don't think I'm using it as an excuse but if Naismith was fit you can presume we would have collected more points paticularly in the games versus St. Johnstone and Killie shortly after he got injured where we missed his drive & work rate.

Miller made 18 appearances and scored 21 goals. Ally never had that luxury.

The point I'm trying to make is at least in the SPL Ally pretty much matched Walter's points tally up until administration with a worse playing staff to choose from.

As for can we expect him to win the title? I suppose I did jump the gun and we should wait until the CVA is cleared up but in general Rangers managers should get no more than a season or two to deliver the title (tu)

And McCoist's reasons for keeping quiet about Whyte's shenanigans?

The sack springs to mind. Giving Whyte the benefit of the doubt - I know I did.

Let's cut to the chase, Casey, you don't think McCoist is good enough. I'm very confident he is and will show it. I'd stab another guess at thinking we both hope you're the one who proves to be wrong.

The sack springs to mind. Giving Whyte the benefit of the doubt - I know I did.

Let's cut to the chase, Casey, you don't think McCoist is good enough. I'm very confident he is and will show it. I'd stab another guess at thinking we both hope you're the one who proves to be wrong.

3 from 3. (tu)

As for the first part, McCoist had a duty to speak out if he knew something untoward was going on. I sincerely hope that he didn't know anything.

Laefd you were comparing point totals in 26 league games, so Ally did have more use of Jelavic in that period. Over a whole season Jelavic made 27 appearances under Smith and 29 under McCoist. You need to take into consideration Jelavic also got a settling in period when he first arrived and had to return from injury, Ally had him all pre season.

Ally had a Jelavic scoring 14 goals(5 assist's) in 21 appearances, which Walter didn't in those twenty-six games.

Ortiz, Wallace, Goian, Bocanegra, McKay, Bedoya, Aluko and Celik were brought in and we had lost Miller(half a season before) Bougherra, Foster, Weiss, Diouf, Beattie, Webster and Velicka. Was the playing staff actually weaker?!

The point I would make is that albeit both had similar point's return, Walter had to cope with harder fixtures and European football which made it more difficult. Ally's start to the season league wise was very good, then took a shift backwards. IMO Walter's points return was better and he didn't have such a superior squad.

I'll still maintain Walter had a better squad for the opening 26 games than Ally did for the whole of his. Look at some of the players Ally was having to play towards the end of that 26 game period e.g. Healy & Kerkar.

Also while Walter may have missed Jelavic he had Kenny Miller who scored 21 goals in 18 games. Miller's last game for Rangers was the 4-0 victory over Hamilton, Jelavic made his return in the game after coming on a sub against Inverness. So when Walter lost Miller Jelavic came in. When Ally didn't have Jelavic who came in? Little, Healy etc hardly the same standard of replacement.

Also an interesting point worth making is that Ally has dropped most of his points to sides in the bottom six not the tough games against the likes of Motherwell, Hearts etc. In the first 26 games we dropped 17 points like I said those came against

Celtic - 3 points

Killie - 3 points

St Mirren - 5 points

Hearts - 2 points

St Johnstone - 2 points

Aberdeen - 2 points

That means 10 of those 17 dropped points came against teams in the bottom six. Indeed we have taken 6 points from 9 against Celtic maximum points as well as away from home against all the teams in the top six (excluding Celtic) before administration we had taken 15 points from 15 (victories over Dundee Utd @ Tannadice, St Johnstone x 2, Hearts @ Tynecastle & Motherwell @ Fir Park). Even if you count our form after administration and the Celtic game at New Year we have still taken 18 points from 24 in games against the top six away from home.

In 2010-2011 at this stage after 26 games against the teams that finished in the top six we had taken 15 points from a possible 21. Although to be fair we went on to claim 24 points from 30 in our overall away form against tops six teams in the league.

My point from that long winded stat list :lol: and I do apologize for having a long winded post is that Ally has arguably done better against the harder teams in the division than against the easier teams and that with the run in coming up (where we'd taken 28 points from 30 in the two previous title run ins in recent years 08/09 & 10/11) there is a case to be made in my opinion that he would have matched Walter's points tally of last year and arguably taken the title.

Please nobody take this the wrong way I am not attempting to argue that Ally is a superior manager to Walter. Walter by far takes that title my argument is that Ally could easily have replicated the points total achieved last season and taken the title had we not gone into administration (tu)

Whoever the new owner is needs to spend money on improving the squad.

We need at least 4 or 5 players brought in to challenge for anything.

I think if Ally is backed financially by the new owners (and no i'm not talking about mega bucks) then we will see a big change in both the way we play football and the results we will get on the park.

Whoever the new owner is needs to spend money on improving the squad.

We need at least 4 or 5 players brought in to challenge for anything.

I think if Ally is backed financially by the new owners (and no i'm not talking about mega bucks) then we will see a big change in both the way we play football and the results we will get on the park.

What sort of figure do you have in mind?