Zelalem To Extend Deal

WilliamFyfe

If we look at all of the outfield players who have played a total of 90 minutes or more this season and give them a point for every goal or assist they have contributed so far, Zelalem comes 13th out of 17 for productivity per minute played.

He has produced one goal or assist for every 270 minutes played.

There is without doubt a player in there but he's not producing enough right now, in my opinion.

Statistics dont always tell the whole story though..

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ferguson was 2, possibly even 3 years older than Zelalem. And he was playing in a midfield with Gio, Albertz and Kanchelskis. He had Amo, Porrini, Moore and Numan behind him. It's a bit different.

Captain by 22. Absolutely outstanding in Europe at 20. Managed to get in a midfield with gio reyna Albertz etc and not be phased by it. Barry was miles ahead of zela unless he improves massively in the next year.

Ferguson was 2, possibly even 3 years older than Zelalem. And he was playing in a midfield with Gio, Albertz and Kanchelskis. He had Amo, Porrini, Moore and Numan behind him. It's a bit different.

It is different, i canny mind Ferguson ever playing and struggling against part timers etc

barry might well have been dominating games at that age, given he was literally thrown into the team by advocaat at 20 and comfortably ran the show in europe, and dont forget fergies training in his teens was under walter, so i wouldnt exactly class it technical etc

zelalem is indeed 18yo, but he's barely showing his talents against diddies nevermind better teams, and his training at arsenal will likely be way better than anything ferguson seen at his age

fact is fergie had the steel to make his talents shine, its all fine and good having talent pouring out your skin, but if you havent the balls to make it show in tough atmospheres then whats the point, zelalem has went missing too often at this time to warrant a first team place

I agree with most of the things you post mate but I think you are being a bit over harsh with Zalalem here.

Barry for 2 season was bedded in by Walter getting the odd game here and there and he clearly benefited from playing first team football with the likes of Albertz and co who were class footballers.

This is Zalalem first season playing first team football, hes shown at times he is a classy player but like all teenagers he suffers from inconsistency. Unless you are Messi and establish yourself at 18 then he fits into the category of nearly all young footballer at his age.

Comparing him to Barry when Barry was 2 years older and had a couple of seasons more top flight games under his belt is a tad unfair IMO. Facts are Fergie was bedded in over a few seasons and you are talking about Ferguson under Advocaat when he was played alongside top quality footballers which aided his development.

Its entirely different scenarios.

I agree with most of the things you post mate but I think you are being a bit over harsh with Zalalem here.

Barry for 2 season was bedded in by Walter getting the odd game here and there and he clearly benefited from playing first team football with the likes of Albertz and co who were class footballers.

This is Zalalem first season playing first team football, hes shown at times he is a classy player but like all teenagers he suffers from inconsistency. Unless you are Messi and establish yourself at 18 then he fits into the category of nearly all young footballer at his age.

Comparing him to Barry when Barry was 2 years older and had a couple of seasons more top flight games under his belt is a tad unfair IMO. Facts are Fergie was bedded in over a few seasons and you are talking about Ferguson under Advocaat when he was played alongside top quality footballers which aided his development.

Its entirely different scenarios.

Canny see it mate, purely because i dont see any grit or heart in zelalem

When Ferguson made his debut at 19, the midfield alongside him that day was Gascoigne, Albertz and Durrant. Not to shabby.

No wonder we got fucked right enough with a defence like that.

Rangers: Dibble; Wright, Petric, Bjorklund; Shields, Ferguson, Gascoigne, Durrant (McInnes 69), Albertz; McCoist (Durie 63), Van Vossen (Miller 81).

I'm neither here nor there with the news about this. I'd rather he stayed longer because there's obviously a gifted player there but if he left tomorrow I'd not be gutted either as I think recently he looks a bit bored up here and the hearts not there.

You could say can you blame him? perhaps not.

He needs to grow some balls and toughen up (before anyone says it I don't mean he stops being technical and reverts to the type of hatchet man that's rife in Scottish football) to succeed here you need to have a bit of both (steel and technical ability)

I don't think the Barry Ferguson comparisons are that silly. It's not exactly like-for-like but there's some comparisons to be made because of the age and type of position they both play/played.

If anyone can get the boy back on form then I'm convinced it's Warburton.

I don't really know what else to say after that.

Statistics dont always tell the whole story though..

No, they don't, I agree. And we don't have access to the stats on his passing completion, successful tackles, etc., etc., but on what is available, he is contributing less than Law and Shiels in their minutes on the park.

I see great potential in Zelalem, and he should turn out to be a good/great player, but I would probably only see value in extending the loan and giving him double the playing time of Law and Shiels if we could be sure of holding onto him next season. I think he needs another year of regular football before he is ready.

If he was signed permanently to us and this was his debut season at 18 we'd be raving about him being the next Barry Ferguson.

The boy is class, he's just a bit skinny and can build his strength. He will become more commanding and vocal as he gets experience. Destined to be a quality player.

He's nowhere near Ferguson at all or Durrant or even Charlie Miller. This league is nowhere near what they were playing or the teams they faced.

I do like Zelalem though but you are over reaching there i feel.

There is absolutely no comparison to be made between Ferguson and Zelalem. One imposed themselves on games and the other hides when going gets tough. It is ridiculous. Zelalem will never enjoy even half the glory Barry did. Ferguson was a far far better player.

It takes a brave or foolish man to make such categorical judgements on a young inexperienced player, based on relatively few games.

Take this advice, from the man who dismissed Gattuso as a 'headless chicken' during the short time he was with us.

He's nowhere near Ferguson at all or Durrant or even Charlie Miller. This league is nowhere near what they were playing or the teams they faced.

I do like Zelalem though but you are over reaching there i feel.

I'm only saying if he wasn't a loanee we'd be buzzing about the boy. He's miles ahead of other 18 year olds. He's better technically than everyone else we have but lacks the ability to impose himself on games due to his age/inexperience/build. If he was ours we'd be bigging him up not jumping on his faults

I'm only saying if he wasn't a loanee we'd be buzzing about the boy. He's miles ahead of other 18 year olds. He's better technically than everyone else we have but lacks the ability to impose himself on games due to his age/inexperience/build. If he was ours we'd be bigging him up not jumping on his faults

Like John Fleck, Alan Hutton, Charlie Adam and the like? We slaughter our own like no other club in the world.

Like John Fleck, Alan Hutton, Charlie Adam and the like? We slaughter our own like no other club in the world.

Maybe your right but I reckon if he had a 5 year deal with us folk would complain less about his inconsistent performances (aged 18!) and concentrate on the vision, touch and natural passing ability. He's going to be a player if he keeps working hard and toughens up a bit.

Maybe your right but I reckon if he had a 5 year deal with us folk would complain less about his inconsistent performances (aged 18!) and concentrate on the vision, touch and natural passing ability. He's going to be a player if he keeps working hard and toughens up a bit.

Maybe he will maybe he won't. I don't think it's our job to pay the price of his development. That is what provincial clubs are for. We are a club who need players who can play, contribute, burst a gut and make a difference. Players who will stand up and be counted not disappear when he faces a player with more desire than him.

I really can't understand why some of our support can't see his talent when playing in our current set up. He had a two quite lacklustre performances after coming back from international duty but, and a big but, he wouldn't be the first. I had a Killie fan (friend) attend one of our games ann all he done was rave about Zelalem.. Yes, he might not score goals but the boy can pass. Oh aye, he did no bad against Brazil also!

I really can't understand why some of our support can't see his talent when playing in our current set up. He had a two quite lacklustre performances after coming back from international duty but, and a big but, he wouldn't be the first. I had a Killie fan (friend) attend one of our games ann all he done was rave about Zelalem.. Yes, he might not score goals but the boy can pass. Oh aye, he did no bad against Brazil also!

Just 2?

I get what your saying but IMO (and it's just my opinion) but it's nothing to do with the fans it's his heart doesn't seem to be in it.

There is absolutely no comparison to be made between Ferguson and Zelalem. One imposed themselves on games and the other hides when going gets tough. It is ridiculous. Zelalem will never enjoy even half the glory Barry did. Ferguson was a far far better player.

At 18 you are predicting this? :lol:

At the same age Barry had hardly even kicked a ball for us.

At 18 you are predicting this? :lol:

At the same age Barry had hardly even kicked a ball for us.

Yeah, i've seen enough. He's not good enough. Nice and tidy, will no doubt have a comfortable career somewhere but not at the top level.

Id say Macleod was more effective for us at 18

Indeed he was. Lewis looked a far better player.

playing against lesser competition shined in a team of poor journeymen

Lesser competition like alloa, Livingston etc

Macleod was dominating games for us at 18 against cunts that wanted to break him in half, zelalem has yet to dominate a discussion at ibrox nevermind a game

Sorry to say but this lad is simply not good enough, why he seems to be a first pick ill never know. Does he have something in his deal that gets him a start?

He has been absolutely honking again today. So wasteful in the last third and doesnt look capable of taking a shot.