1872 Or 1873

The Wee General

Ok, here we go. Tin hat firmly clamped to the heid. What was the year we came to be? 1872 or 1873.

I have to confess I always thought it was 1873. Let me explain.

My history of our club takes me back to July 15th 1873. A match was played between two teams styled Argyle and Clyde at the Fleshers in Glasgow. Those teams did not represent organised clubs. The names were selected for the purpose only of providing a game.

The game, which ended in a draw, had a historical value, for in the Argyle team were players who, later, took part in the inception of the Rangers, and who lived to become famous. The players were chronicled as:

ARGYLE. Moses McNeil (captain):Peter McNeil and Tom Vallance; William McBeth and J Ryburn; J Yuill, Peter Campbell, W. Thomson, D. Smith, James Watson, and D Forrest.

After the match a football was gifted to William from the son of a man whose father was employed in the Gareloch. After the match it was proposed to form a club with the gifted football as the start point. A meeting was called, and the decision was made to form a football club.

Then the big question - a name for the club. Moses McNeil proposed it should be called The Rangers Association Football Club. It was adopted unanimously.

The first colours were Royal Blue jerseys, white shorts, and blue and white stockings.

Only for a short while were the colours laid aside. This came about when results weren't going to well in 1879 - 80 and a switch to blue and white hoops were made in the hope of changing fortunes. Apparently, no one was happy with this and the committee decided in 1883 that the old colours be brought out again.

So, fast forward to 1973, 100 years later, and I am at Ibrox to witness the Centenary match against The Arsenal. Trophies were brought on to the pitch, old stalwarts paraded and a game of football was had. The price to attend, I think, was about 5p..or one shilling in old money.

So, is it 1872, or was the official centenary put back by one year for some reason.

Not a controversial post...I just want to fuckin know!!!!?

But whatever, what a glorious history we have.

C'mon Bears....fill your boots!!!

WATP

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was always 1872. The 1873 apparently came about when a book commemorating the 50th year came out a year late. There is incontrovertible evidence of a speech by Tom Vallance in which he confirms that Rangers began in 1872. The speech was dated around 1897 if I remember the information correctly. The first game was played in May1872 against Callendar and it finished in a no-score draw.

Yup. 1872.

Bizarrely, as JCD mentioned, someone at the club was in charge of compiling and releasing a yearbook and one milestone year from 1872 they let the anniversary pass without fanfare. A year later a special anniversary yearbook was put together to spare the blushes of those involved.

A case of someone whistling innocently and thinking "Phew... Ye think we got away with that one...?"

Christmas cards from the club and letterheads etc all still definitely used the Rangers Football Club PLC 1873 on them throughout the 80s and 90s and perhaps beyond.

It was always 1872. The 1873 apparently came about when a book commemorating the 50th year came out a year late. There is incontrovertible evidence of a speech by Tom Vallance in which he confirms that Rangers began in 1872. The speech was dated around 1897 if I remember the information correctly. The first game was played in May1872 against Callendar and it finished in a no-score draw.

Definitely 1872. Wish I had waited till they found out before I got 1873 in my tattoo. TRUE!! As for the op,i'll do it. :shifty:

I remember back in the old days when everything was in black and white, the late 60s, the programmes of the time used to have a drawing of Ibrox with 1873 on it, so I really can't believe the nonsense about the club didn't have time to arrange the centenary.

I had never heard the OPs original anecdote, would be interesting to know where that came from. Other than the reference it The Gallant Pioneers are there other sources for 1872?

I take it the club themselves have no opinion on this, surely some bugger must know. Until then I am still going with 1873, as these days I get confused easily.