Cup Finals At Hampden And The New Rangers Generation..

tannerall

Looks like the Challenge Cup final could be played at Hampden. Great news if true.

As a wee Gers fan in the late sixties and early seventies I followed a well trodden path for a Gers fan.

There was the first visit to Ibrox with the dad and uncle, unfortunately I am one of those who can't actually remember my first game at Ibrox probably round about 67-68.

There then followed the lesser games agaiinst the Mortons and St Mirrens, trips to Clyde or Partick Thistle, then away games to exotic places like Dumbarton or Falkirk.

Then me and the pals were allowed to go to games on our own when we got to around 11 or 12. Games against the bigger teams Hibs (really), Hearts, Aberdeen at home and journeys to the furthest extremes of Stirling or Ayr.

Then the exciting times really kicked in. Up to Dundee and Aberdeen and then my first European games Ibrox against Rennes, which fortunately coincided with our run to Barcelona final 1971,went to every other European matchat Ibrox that year, but was too young to go to Barcelona. :anguish:

But the big games against cellic had to wait till I was old enough. The Rangers/cellic games the cup finals. I was too young for the 70 league cup win against cellic (big DJs header )

But then the magic kicked in in 73. Cup final against cellic.

Can I go dad ? Only if mum lets you. Can I go mum ? only if dad let's you. And then it happened by my parents mutual agreement. I was in the crowd at Hampden experiencing my first cup final and big Tam made it the greatest game of my life.

And now a new generation of wee Gers fans will get to experience a cup final at Hampden.

Okay it may not have the glamour of the bigger competitions, or the intensity of a cellic cup final, but if we do as well as we should then we will hopefully have set off our next generation of fans with some great memories of winning cup finals and Rangers players proudly raising trophies aloft at our national stadium.

Thanks for providing the opportunity Mr Warburton. :clap:

Great post and one that I echoed in many respects. Big Tam's final was my first on my own and a day and a half that was. I wasn't allowed to go but went, bought a new scarf on the way and and should have been taken to hospital when we equalised.But I soldiered on sitting on the grass behind our goal second half and (ecstatically) survived the day............ and got away with going in the first place.

Happy days that era, and as you say, a new generation has begun. :)

That was my first cup final as well. My old man thought he was doing the right thing managing to get us tickets for the old South Stand. Great seats and a magnificent view of events that unforgettable day, but I spent the whole 90 minutes wishing I was along with my pals in the mayhem of the Rangers End.

Lol my first Hampden final as well! Day sort of flew by and my real memories of the game are few except for the mahem when that tam Forsyth goal went in - build up - walking to the game fae the bus ( I was on a bus from Blairgowrie!) - buying a scarf! Oh and all the pishing behind the stand lol ( also my first experience on the bus and two 'wimmin' pissing at the side of the bus at the roadside on the way home - scarred for life! Lol)

Great day

r Falkirk.

Then me and the pals were allowed to go to games on our own when we got to around 11 or 12. Games against the bigger teams Hibs (really), Hearts, Aberdeen at home and journeys to the furthest extremes of Stirling or Ayr.

Then the exciting times really kicked in. Up to Dundee and Aberdeen and then my first European games Ibrox against Rennes, which fortunately coincided with our run to Barcelona final 1971,went to every other European matchat Ibrox that year, but was too young to go to Barcelona. :anguish:

I was too young for trips to Rennes, Lisbon etc but NOTHING could have kept me and my mates away from Barcelona.

Excellent article BTW, paralleled what I pretty well remember, away trips and Hampden cup finals were a great experience. Even Scotland games were fun, remember being in the RanGers End vs England two days after returning from Barca and still hoarse from all te singing. IIRC 120,000 plus at Hampden that day.

My first Hampden final was the League Cup against the Nappy rippers when McCoist scored the hat trick, Aitken barged him in the back for a pen. Just made it up the road to Stonehaven to witness a full blown riot in one of the pubs between returning fans. Ah the good old days!

Had a bad start with my first trip to Hampden , being beaten by hibs in semi final replay in 1972.

My first final was beating the tims 1-0 in the League Cup Final in 1975 thanks to wee Doddie.

Loved going to the old Hampden - the atmosphere , the noise , the cloud of dust every time we scored , Section J , the lot. Happy times.

The thing that struck me on my first visit to Hampden was how noticeably poorer it was in comparison to Ibrox. Bigger, yes, but well behind on every other count.

Of course my first impression of the Piggery was it was a lot worse again. I haven't set foot in that mhidden for many years now, but I imagine it's not much better now.

The thing that struck me on my first visit to Hampden was how noticeably poorer it was in comparison to Ibrox. Bigger, yes, but well behind on every other count.

Of course my first impression of the Piggery was it was a lot worse again. I haven't set foot in that mhidden for many years now, but I imagine it's not much better now.

Never set foot in the paedo dome till we played the sheep in the cup semi final. Beat them 6-1, we BuD IIRC scored a hat-trick. Wish I oukd find that game on youube

Afraid my first cup final at Hampden was not even a Rangers game. St Mirren v Aberdeen, wee enclosure - 3-1. Seond visit again no Rangers. Real Madrid v Eintract Frankfurt, big enclosure - 7-3. Third visit. At last saw Rangers lift a cup. 1964 League Cup Final v Morton, centre main stand - 5-0.

Afraid my first cup final at Hampden was not even a Rangers game. St Mirren v Aberdeen, wee enclosure - 3-1. Seond visit again no Rangers. Real Madrid v Eintract Frankfurt, big enclosure - 7-3. Third visit. At last saw Rangers lift a cup. 1964 League Cup Final v Morton, centre main stand - 5-0.

Real Madrid at Hampden 1960. :clap:

As an objective football fan I see that as the greatest club game of all time, played at a ground where the fans genuinely appreciated the game. I'd have loved to have been there.

I was 2 months old so was a bit young for the football. My dad went and I had the stub from his ticket for a long time, though unfortunately I lost it.

Puskas, Di Stefano, Gento, what a front line. And what a game, and all taking place in Glasgow.

You should do a big write up on a post here. I'd appreciate it, as I'm sure others would.

1969 - first time , as a 9yr old watching Rangers lose 0-4 in the Scottish cup final against the scum , still scarred.

I can remember going to the junior cup final at hampden the same week (I think) to watch my other team , Cambuslang Rangers beat Rob Roy 1-0 in the junior cup final.

I was in the north enclosure for the '73 final with my mates from school. Probably my favourite Rangers memory. Amazing day.

Real Madrid at Hampden 1960. :clap:

As an objective football fan I see that as the greatest club game of all time, played at a ground where the fans genuinely appreciated the game. I'd have loved to have been there.

I was 2 months old so was a bit young for the football. My dad went and I had the stub from his ticket for a long time, though unfortunately I lost it.

Puskas, Di Stefano, Gento, what a front line. And what a game, and all taking place in Glasgow.

You should do a big write up on a post here. I'd appreciate it, as I'm sure others would.

I was taken to the match by a family friend asmy father had been killed in a road accident in December. As I was only 11 at the time, my memories are a bit hazy. I was right down at the front of the big enclosure about halfway between the centre and the Rangers end. As I had been at Ibrox for the semi, I was totally unprepared for what I was about to see, a team which had destroyed Rangers being destroyed. I was blown away by the clinical approach of the Real team, particularly Puskas. The semi final had been the first time I had seen the continental 7 with the cross bar and, after the final I have used it to this day as a tribute to Gento. If only our current team could finish like Real did that day.

Its far from my favourite ground (not anything like Ibrox as a venue) however between Skol Cup Finals v the Sheep, 9 men v St Mirren, Wallace sealing treble and my personal favourite Lovenkrands in the last minute I have had some tremendous days there.

Looking forward to many more.

:uk:

I really dont get the universal dislike of hampden.i fuckin love it.great stadium albeit you are miles away from the pitch.at the end of the day if you are at hampden then its for a final or a semi.(apart from the games against queens park) even then the billy boys came back 1st time and the next game there was the mascot race with the irn bru can lol

Joking aside how can you forget the lovenkrands game,kontermans screamer,jelavic,9 men v st mirren,novo v dundee,qos final

The good times at hampden certainly outweigh the bad.

Delighted were in the final but i hope to fuck its not at the hampdump. For one its a shitehole and a pish stadium to watch football in. And secondly the last time i was there i got ran over after the game and the time before that i got lifted for being a bigot and banned for 18 month so the next time i go to hampden ill either need to wear an anonymous mask or a high-vis jacket so either way im fucked

Shite stadium with a crap atmoshpere and some tragic views. You could put 70.000 fans in there and it would still be a shite pitch surounded by a running track.

Sad to think that shithole symbolises Scottish football. A football pitch surrounded by a running track that distances the support from the action.

SFA priorities, eh?

ALL THERE TO SEE THE RANGERS!!!!!

I really dont get the universal dislike of hampden.i fuckin love it.great stadium albeit you are miles away from the pitch.at the end of the day if you are at hampden then its for a final or a semi.(apart from the games against queens park) even then the billy boys came back 1st time and the next game there was the mascot race with the irn bru can lol

Joking aside how can you forget the lovenkrands game,kontermans screamer,jelavic,9 men v st mirren,novo v dundee,qos final

The good times at hampden certainly outweigh the bad.

its a shithole. has always been a shithole but at least back in the day with >100k crowds it was a shithole with atmosphere. Worst national stadium in Europe.

My first cup final was at Hampden before it became an all seater. Game was against Aberdeen. We were right next to the Aberdeen fans and the atmosphere was poisonous. Darts were being thrown between both sets of fans, well I like to think the Rangers fans were just trying to return the darts. Apart from that being at a cup final on an old terrace when Rangers score was an amazing experience.

My first game against the soap dodgers , that we won, was at the tattie dome before it became an all seater. My previous 4 old firm games had been at Ibrox and we hadn't won. Rangers got played off the park but Durrant scored and Rangers won 1-0. Seeing Rangers score on the terrace at the tattiedome is one of the best experiences of my life.

Also watched Rangers beat Aberdeen when the Rangers fans were in the jungle, that was a riot.

Hopefully the future young fans will soon be enjoying their own Rangers memories. Enjoyed the OP.