Celtc to sign Derry City player

Derry City winger Pat McCourt is set to snub West Bromwich Albion for a move to Scottish giants Celtic.

City and West Brom have agreed a transfer fee for the 24-year-old but it is believed McCourt prefers to join the SPL champions.

The former Northern Ireland U21 international with be in Glasgow on Thursday for talks with Celtic.

McCourt agreed personal terms with the Baggies last week and the deal is subject to him passing a medical.

Derry have refused to disclose the fee involved but it is believed to be substantially better than West Brom's initial offer, which the club said was derisory.

Kenny had partially blamed the long, drawn out negotiations with West Brom for City's poor form in the Eircom League.

It is thought that the Midlands club's initial offer for McCourt was in the region of £50,000.

Guest therabbitt

One of my mates' brother plays for Derry so I have watched them quite a lot - especially last season, but not as much since this season started.

Pat is a talented dribbler of the ball and always seemed to run with his head down - he couldnt pick a pass and couldnt cross the ball overly well - but he has a certain flair and is one of those players that can get the crowd on their feet with a spectacular dribble. He undoubtedly has talent, I think I may have even suggested him as a signing a long time ago.

Not too sure if he would be ready to play for them on a regualr basis, he's good but he is not great. I wouldnt worry too much about him shining in the SPL with Celtic.

A slower Ivan Sproule with more close control and dribbling ability.

At last, Celtic linked with a player of the quality they deserve. Nothing against this Pat McGroin lad but some of the names they've been touting as targets recently have bee ridiculous.

Paddy McCourt was a YTS player who broke through at Rochdale Football club, as I was brought up in Dale and saw a few matches in my teenage years, we got free tickets from the school lol!!

Can take on anyone, at any level, did well against the top teams in the league and FA cups, but was out of condition and always on the piss so he got released from Rochdale where in fact he won caps for Northern Ireland!!

However a mate from my school days said he has been doing really well at Derry and is finally living up to his potential there with MOTM performances at UEFA cup qualifying level matches!!

He is a old fashion winger with 2 good feet and loves to take people on!! At Rochdale he was linked with Premiership and Championship sides and had trials with a whole host of them sides but was always sent back to Rochdale as he was never fit enough!!

Could be a gem, hope he doesnt join em as I was a fan of him as a teenager and would be hugely dissapointed as he could be another McGeady type player for them (maybe shite but does well against other SPL teams)

It's a done deal just on Skysports news

my mate not even a gers fan (he went school with me also) jus texted me he will forever be known as Paddy McCunt from now on joining the scum!!!

LMAO

McCourt seals transfer to Celtic

Pat McCourt arrives at Celtic Park for signing talks

McCourt is delighted to be joining the club he supports

Celtic have completed the signing of winger Pat McCourt from Derry City for an undisclosed fee.

The 24-year-old Northern Ireland international has agreed a three-year deal with the Scottish champions.

"This is a dream come true for me," McCourt, who was a target for West Brom, told the Celtic website.

"There was interest from a few clubs but as soon as I found out that Celtic were in for me, my mind was made up. I have always been a Celtic supporter."

The versatile winger, who can play on either side, added: "I'm joining one of the biggest clubs in the world.

"Celtic have won the SPL title three times in a row and compete in the Champions League every season. What more could you ask for?

"My first target is to get a good pre-season under my belt and then take it from there.

"The quality in the Celtic squad is unbelievable but I'll be trying to push my way into the manager's plans as soon as possible.

"I can't wait to get started."

West Brom dropped their interest in McCourt after agreeing a transfer fee with Derry City and personal terms with the player.

MY SPORT: DEBATE

Give your reaction to the signing of McCourt

Baggies manager Tony Mowbray explained: "Pat was one of the players we wanted to bring in, but on our terms.

"During the club's discussions with Pat, it became clear he had other options where he feels he may have a greater opportunity to play first-team football."

McCourt joined Rochdale at the age of 16 before moving back to Ireland with Shamrock Rovers and then Derry. He has one cap for Northern Ireland.

And former Northern Ireland manager Sammy McIlroy believes McCourt could prove a hit with Celtic fans.

"I had him as a young boy and, when he played at Rochdale, you could see the ability and skill that he had straight away," he said.

"It was a matter of sticking at it and I was shocked that he didn't kick on, to be honest.

"People were talking about him going on to become a big international player at that time. Maybe it all just came too soon for him."

McIllroy added: "Gordon Strachan is at Celtic and hopefully he can get him playing to his strengths again."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...tic/7462901.stm

Guest therabbitt

Have to disagree - he's a head down dribbler with no end product.

Been average at Derry and thats saying something as the league standard is not great.

fair enough, I agree he is a head down dribbler, but arnt all dribblers head down greedy bazzas especially british ones lol

He cant cross for shit and he only passes when hes fucked lol but ive seen him score some unbelievable goals at dale, not saying that league 2 football is all that, but putting the ball in the top corner from outside the box is a decent goal in any league.

But he will never be fit enough, he is their Charlie Adam without the sweet left peg!

McCourt "better than McGeady"

I love it when they come out with shit like that:

Stevie Fulton - "the new Roberto Baggio"

Simon Donnelly - "the next Kenny Dalglish"

Mark Burchill - "Scotland's Michael Owen"

Long may it continue!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahaha :craphead:

Guest therabbitt
I just know Paddy is going to be one of the all-time Celtic legends

Have they watched him anytime recently?

He'll get punted up in the air twice in his first game and get a proper strop on

it jus shows how hoghly they rate McHeady lol not very if McCourt is his replacement lol

They wont sell McGeady this year. McCourt will probably be an impact player off the bench. They obviously do rate him high with a 15Mil price tag on him.

it jus shows how hoghly they rate McHeady lol not very if McCourt is his replacement lol

They wont sell McGeady this year. McCourt will probably be an impact player off the bench. They obviously do rate him high with a 15Mil price tag on him.

my comment was about the media rating McCunt's a better player than McGayday (think the quote was the next McGeady) - personally McCourt is alright at dribbling and has scored some good goals, cant pass or cross or tackle and mcgayday is alot better than him,