Gattuso is not a great player according to Aragones

Spain coach Luis Aragones has stoked the fires ahead of the last-eight tie against Italy by claiming Gennaro Gattuso is "not a great player".

Both Gattuso and Andrea Pirlo are suspended for Sunday's clash but Aragones believes the loss of Gattuso can be easily compensated.

"To say that Gattuso is a great player, I would not agree," he said.

"Italy have several Gattusos but only one Pirlo. If Gattuso is a great player, then I'm a priest."

Aragones added: "Pirlo is a creator whereas Italy have plenty of more defensive-minded types such as Gattuso.

"But Pirlo can also have a bad day - and the player who replaces him could also have the match of his life against us."

AC Milan star Gattuso opted not to bite back in a similar fashion.

"I hope he doesn't become a priest at his age," he stated. "It would be better for him to see out his remaining years as a normal person.

"For me, what he said is a compliment because he was asked if I was an important player and he replied that I was a hard working and combative player - he just underlined my qualities."

Despite his dig at Gattuso, Aragones, who was reportedly involved in a heated debate with Spain defender Sergio Ramos in training last week, is fully aware of the potency of the whole Italy squad.

"There are 23 Italian players, good ones all, selected by a very wise coach, Roberto Donadoni. I am not interested in individuals but in the Italian team and even more in my team," he said.

"We'll have to take advantage of any little defect in their game but for them it's the same since we're two great sides. Let's hope we can counter-attack. I can't imagine that we wouldn't have two or three chances on goal.

"I hope that the best team wins - and that the best will be Spain."