Arshavin wants to leave Zenit

Zenit St Petersburg coach Dick Advocaat has confirmed that Andrei Arshavin wants to leave the club.

The Russian star had a brilliant domestic campaign last season helping Zenit to the league title and Uefa Cup.

Arshavin only added to his reputation when he starred in Russia's final Euro 2008 group game - after being suspended for start of the tournament - against Sweden as scored the winner in the 2-0 triumph.

The 27-year-old is being tracked by clubs from Italy, Spain, France, Germany and England - with the likes of Newcastle, Manchester City, Everton and more recently Arsenal said to be interested.

Now Advocaat has confirmed that Arshavin want to move to one of Europe's biggest leagues.

"Andrei has told us that he wishes to change clubs," Advocaat told reporters on Friday.

"At present, in the way of offers, it is quiet.

"The situation may well change after the game against Holland for the national side."

A scrum is breaking out between Europe’s top clubs trying to sign Russian revelation Andrei Arshavin, but Milan are leading.

Although he missed the first two games of Euro 2008 due to a ban, Arshavin has made a major impact on the competition already.

“The only player unexpected to hit these heights was the Russian, Arshavin,†said Rossoneri boss Carlo Ancelotti in the Gazzetta dello Sport.

Milan’s interest is set to intensify further after his Coach at UEFA Cup winners Zenit spoke of his talents.

“He is a player of exceptional opportunism,†explained Advocaat on Goal.com.

“He is the classic man you don’t see for 50 minutes, but when you do spot him the ball is already in the back of the net.

“There are few out there with these characteristics. Sometimes you sit on the bench and think, ‘I really should substitute him,’ but at the end of the day you don’t because you know full well he can decide a match in a split second.â€

The description is reminiscent of Milan veteran Pippo Inzaghi, who is looking for an heir to his throne at San Siro.

“I know Arshavin is interested in a move abroad and that would not be good news for us,†continued Advocaat.

“I hope he stays, but in all honesty I get the feeling if he has the right opportunity then he’ll leave us very soon.â€

To fuel the speculation further, Ancelotti was in the stands for Russia’s match against Sweden and, as the negotiations for Emmanuel Adebayor hit more hurdles between Arsenal and Barcelona, a swift turn towards Russia might be beneficial.

Heard this is why Walter has been keeping most of his 30 million, as Big Dick tipped him off that Arshavin wanted to leave, so Walter has kept most of his budget for this transfer.

I knew Murray was keeping his promise this time.

Russia ace Andrei Arshavin says he has offers from England and Germany, but his preference is to play in Spain.

Arshavin has emerged as the star of Euro 2008 following his stunning performance in Russia's quarter-final win over Holland.

He had missed the opening two matches of the tournament through suspension and also produced an influential display in the final group game against Sweden.

The playmaker impressed for Zenit St Petersburg last season and is tipped to leave the Uefa Cup winners at the end of the European Championship.

Zenit coach Dick Advocaat conceded last week that the 27-year-old wants to move on and a clutch of clubs have been linked with a £10million-plus bid.

Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Manchester City and Newcastle United have all been mooted as admirers of Arshavin, while Barcelona are rumoured to see him as an ideal replacement for Deco.

Time has come

Arshavin admits it may be time to leave Russian football and claims his dream would be to join a Spanish club.

"Perhaps the time has come, yes," Arshavin told AS when asked whether he would move to another European league.

"I know that I have offers from England and Germany, but what I really want is to play in the Primera Liga.

"It's the championship that I have always followed, I like how football is played there.

"But for now, I have no offers from Spain."

The schemer's international team-mate Roman Pavlyuchenko has been linked with a move to Real Madrid and Arshavin feels there are many more Russia players who will have caught the eye at Euro 2008.

He added: "There are many good players in my country, but people are now discovering us.

"It's not only me. This tournament is an opportunity for us."