Your Knowledge Of Old Rangers Teams

I was at a doo last night that was also attended by former player Davie Wilson and 2 of the Bears I know who were also there had no idea who he was ... one is in his mid-30s and the other early 40s and I was just wondering how common this "amnesia" is among younger Bears?

Oh memories.

Davie was in the team when I first started watching Rangers on the left wing with Willie Henderson on the right. What a nightmare for full backs :) He was a great player both tricky and fast.

Then he was replaced by Orjan Persson - only guy I've seen score from a corner and mean it.

Names I can do, faces are a struggle, what I mean is I know he was a good player. I have seen the pathe news clips Wilson, Brand and Henderson, when I think of them I always hear Ken Wolthemsow (spelling) commentary but I think I would struggle to recognise them now. I really started naming players in the late 70s early 80s so perhaps that era would he more memorable to me Smith, Cooper, Jackson, Russel, Bett and Dawson would be more easily identifiable to me.

I'm 58 but I know all about guys like Morton, Meiklejohn, Dawson, Young, Woodburn, Waddell and Thornton. That's the equivalent of my 27-year-old son having a clue about guys like Baxter,Shearer, Henderson, Stein and Johnston, but he doesn't have a clue.

I would say the younger generations don't have the same interest in the past in general, not just football.

I'm 58 but I know all about guys like Morton, Meiklejohn, Dawson, Young, Woodburn, Waddell and Thornton. That's the equivalent of my 27-year-old son having a clue about guys like Baxter,Shearer, Henderson, Stein and Johnston, but he doesn't have a clue.

I would say the younger generations don't have the same interest in the past in general, not just football.

I think the older generations were more hungry for information back then, as it was a badge of honour to be seen to "Know your Fitba", even if you were not that good at playing.

It helped you to fit in with all the other lads, and gave you the sense of belonging to a group of like minded people, your "wee gang" as it were, or if you could play a bit, your street team.

I still remember how we all used to listen to stories of all the past greats from anyone who was prepared to tell us of their exploits, mostly your Dad and Uncles, and how they were compared to the players of that day, as is done today.

Anyone who had something as simple as a match day programme was searched out and pressed to let you have a read to enhance your knowledge.

Anyone who was in possession of a Rangers News (With pictures of the players) or any other magazine that gave you any possible insight to the team, was hunted down mercilessly until possession of said magazine or brochure was handed over for perusal.

Brothers, and in some cases (A few back then as I recall) sisters, would fight over who was first to read any printed material, such was the thirst for news of our Club.

I think because we didn't have instant access to "ready made" information, as is the case today, we valued the knowledge more, and as it was hard fought for information, it probably is the reason for it sticking in the memory more readily, even today.

Sometimes i think there is too much information around today, (and it is so easily accessed) that it is understandable to be swamped with data, making it difficult to take it all in, and we all have to go to work and mingle in other aspects of life, family etc, that there is not enough time to absorb it all.

So information is all relative to the age you have grown up in, and your memories of those teams of that era will be the ones you will pass on to your sons and daughters, and will then become part of their memories in turn,to pass on to theirs.

Not knowing an older player is not a sin, as most of us only remember them as they were in their heyday, and I don't think any of them (If honest) recognise themselves from those days when they go for a shave today. :P

The history of The Rangers is so vast it is an impossible task to remember all and sundry, but as long as we remember the things and times that were important to us in our day and pass it on to the next legion of fans, we will have done our duty in a small way, as proud amateur historians of this magnificent Club we call The Rangers.

:uk:

I remember Davie Wilson making his debut for Rangers way back in 1957 against Dundee (I think Hubbard was injured) and he was a great wee Player in his day. He still holds the post-war Rangers record for scoring the most goals in one game.

Davie was our "Penalty King" :D whereas Johnny Hubbard was the doyen of penalty takers, Davie Wilson was the doyen of winning them :lol: Davie had a knack of literally getting tackled on the half way line and falling over in the box screaming for a penalty.

He was regarded by some as the best left winger we had since Alan Morton, so that tells you the class he had.

I was born in 84' and I'd say my knowledge of Rangers' players from around the late 80's till' now is pretty strong although I sometimes get confused with exact years of when they played for us. I used to not only go to 1st team games but I went to a lot of reserve games when they were at Ibrox, and used to see the the likes of Spencer, Hagen, Robertson, Scott etc. Then you had the Rangers Gold and the whole VHS collection up until 9IAR etc, you had Rangers News and even now you can do quizzes on Sporcle and the like to further test your knowledge. Going further back than my DOB I know a lot of names, and the more well known ones more so than others but I find it a bit more difficult trying to put names to some older faces.

I think it's mainly an age thing but my dad passed away when I was around 15 so I've not really had the constant, continual reminiscent old Rangers' stories for the past 15 years or so with the elder generation so I think that can be a factor too. Also, the internet and social media has changed the game. It is difficult to find out many facts the further back in time you look whereas now I could probably tell you what Kyle Hutton ate for dinner last night, what Barrie McKay is wearing and what Fraser Aird thinks about reality TV!

When I think about I do feel a bit guilty about not knowing as much as I should for those who have played an instrumental and key part in our history. However, for those where there is a lack of information on, there is every chance we had a few duds so I suppose it works both ways!

In the late seventies you got all your player stats from the football cards in chewing gum packs, then traded them or played nearest the wall to win other kids cards. Lot simpler back then

Topps bubblegum cards? 5 or 6 cards in a pack with a thin bit of pink bubblegum in as well.

I recall the packaging was that kinda waxy shiny paper. I used to buy packs every week. Probably still have them in an ice cream tub in the loft!!

I recall Davie Wilson from my early days as a supporter. He was built for speed not for comfort, especially the comfort of defenders. A teetotal non-smoker who lasted well in the game. If memory serves, he went on to play with Dundee Utd. and Dumbarton. Was delighted to meet him at a social evening at Lodge Buchanan in Cambuslang some years ago.

Our history is vast and wonderful. I can't understand how you could not be interested in it. I was brought up on it, we used to have club nights in our BB with old reel to reel movies of Rangers matches.

I remember some of the team coming to our BB in Denny. Henderson, Wilson Brand Forrest. I am 59 know most of the Rangers players from the 50's 60's and early 70's 76 through 89 are a bit of a blank due to moving to Canada in December 72 the advent of NARSA and getting the games has made the teams from 1990's onward much more accessible. BTW I have spent more than a few hours in the company of Sammy Cox. He and his beautiful lady Jean are in a nursing home just outside London Ontario. Not doing well apparently, Now there is a Ranger, that man epitomizes what it is to be and live the life of a Ranger. WATP

Born in 59 - memory like a sieve - and despite having a season ticket for 28 years - often struggle out with the 'big' regular players!

Probably learn more about our 'history' on here than from my own 'learnt' knowledge!

I recall Davie Wilson from my early days as a supporter. He was built for speed not for comfort, especially the comfort of defenders. A teetotal non-smoker who lasted well in the game. If memory serves, he went on to play with Dundee Utd. and Dumbarton. Was delighted to meet him at a social evening at Lodge Buchanan in Cambuslang some years ago.

Your memory is correct young man. Davie got transferred to Dundee Utd (wrongly in my opinion) in a deal that brought Orjan Persson.To Ibrox.