Your Knowledge Of Old Rangers Teams

I'm okay with teams from my lifetime (1980) but have a very limited knowledge before that. Like someone else mentioned in this thread, being part of RM has taught me a lot more than anything I've picked up myself.

On a side note, does anyone else get pissed off with the 'Can you name the 1950 league winning side?' blokes who then regurgitate names parrot fashion to you. Yeah, dont really care but well done, you've remembered 11 surnames.

I remember my favourite player when I was watching Rangers was Alex Scott a great right winger in the same mould as Dave Wilson. I remember going to a cup final at Hampden in the late fifty's very early 60's against Celtic and was devastated the Scott had been dropped for Willie Henderson hated the wee man for that but soon grew to love him and forgot about poor old Alex :)

Ritchie Shearer Caldow Greg McKinnon Bater Henderson Mc Millan miller Brand Wilson. From someone who is 52

Do you remember when Caldow broke his leg at Wembley playing for Scotland, the days before substitutes and Dave Wilson went to full back and we won the game. That was my first trip to Wembley when I was only about 13 or 14. Sadly Eric Caldow was never the same player after that he was at that time the equivalent to the attacking full backs in todays game.

I remember my favourite player when I was watching Rangers was Alex Scott a great right winger in the same mould as Dave Wilson. I remember going to a cup final at Hampden in the late fifty's very early 60's against Celtic and was devastated the Scott had been dropped for Willie Henderson hated the wee man for that but soon grew to love him and forgot about poor old Alex :)

Now there's a memory you have sparked off for me, like you Scott and Wilson were firm favourites of mine, and I remember the situation between him and Wee Wullie.

It caused a minor row in our house, as my wee brother was for Wullie and I remained loyal to Alex, but, as in your case, the sibling rivalry soon passed when the raw talent that was Henderson, very quickly turned into the polished diamond of a player he was for many years to come, and sadly Alex Scott was just a fond memory of past glory and resigned to the history books.

It is always sad when a fans' favourite reaches the end of their term, but as long as we have been a Club I suppose we have had to suffer these wee sad moments as the team replaces the old with the new when it comes to the playing staff.

The only real constant are the people who, come rain or come shine, follow the team and cheer whoever is playing for The Rangers on that day, and that's a team that never changes the Fans, and long may it continue.

:uk:

Do you remember when Caldow broke his leg at Wembley playing for Scotland, the days before substitutes and Dave Wilson went to full back and we won the game. That was my first trip to Wembley when I was only about 13 or 14. Sadly Eric Caldow was never the same player after that he was at that time the equivalent to the attacking full backs in todays game.

i think i,m correct it was bobby smith of spurs that broke caldows leg,horse of a player and i yhink he meant it.

There's quite a good few twitter pages out there with Rangers facts, pictures, and little gems about our history, one of which is RangersHistory. The following pic just popped up on my timeline. Baxter looks uncannily like Sir Brian!

There's quite a good few twitter pages out there with Rangers facts, pictures, and little gems about our history, one of which is RangersHistory. The following pic just popped up on my timeline. Baxter looks uncannily like Sir Brian!

CF9WGGoWYAE-Ch7.jpg

ok. doug ballie ,caldow, scott, shearer and the guy they got from raith.

My Dad's favourite player of the 60's was Davie Wilson.

My era started in the 70's with A McDonald,Cooper,Johnstone,McLean,Bomber,Jardine etc

Mine too Gaff bear. First game in 77 in the centenary stand.but I watch countless videos and dvds and read so many books about players and teams previous to my era.wish I'd seen the greatest Rangers team from the early 60's and also Colin stein, may da always said Stein was one of our greatest ever.my gran had a picture of him on her sideboard next to pictures of her boys."wan ae us". She used to say ha ha.love that.

No Surrender

Rab