Mccoist Deserves Credit If Rangers Go Up

McCoist deserves credit if Rangers go up, says Little

FORMER Rangers forward Andy Little believes Ally McCoist deserves his share of credit if the Ibrox side win their SPFL Premiership play-off final shoot-out against Motherwell.

The Northern Ireland international has just helped his Preston North End side into the Sky Bet Championship after they thrashed Swindon Town in the play-offs at Wembley.

Little - who left Ibrox last summer after failing to agree a new deal - will try and return to Scotland this week to watch his former side against Motherwell, as they do battle for a place in the Premiership on Thursday and Sunday.

He's delighted the club is in new hands under Dave King, but admits to being saddened at the plight of McCoist, who remains on gardening leave on full pay and whose managerial qualities have been openly questioned due to the relative success of Stuart McCall.

"The gaffer did a great job," said Little. "When he came in he kept the team together, kept the club together in far worse times than they have had lately.

"He deserves credit for that.

"Unfortunately, the results and performances weren't as good as he would have liked, so maybe it was understandable something had to change.

"He did a very good job of keeping the club together when I don't think any man could have done as well as him.

"Obviously, I left the club in the end, but there are no hard feelings between him and me and I think he did a great job.

And Little, who spent seven years at Ibrox playing at all levels from the top flight to the Third Division and netted an impressive tally of 34 goals in just 48 league starts, is thrilled his own club are back on steady ground.

He may have moved to Lancashire, but the 26-year-old still has Rangers - the club he refers to as 'we' - in his blood.

He stated: "The club needed that stability. It didn't matter how the team were doing, if you didn't have that stability at the very top it was never going to progress.

"But hopefully now the club are under Dave King and his board, there's good Rangers people there. Obviously, making John Greig Honorary Life President is a major boost for the club too.

"It's good for fans like myself to know there are good Rangers men at the heart of the club who want the best for the club."

Little is confident of a Rangers win this week to make it a double celebration for him.

He pointed out: "I think having a home and away tie helps us because we have already proved we can go and gain a big advantage at home and then do a job away from home.

"Hopefully, next week I'll have another promotion party to celebrate. It couldn't be any better for me really because the club I am playing for has got promoted and the club I support will hopefully get promoted too. The perfect week!

"I'm hoping to get up to the games, but it depends on what the club have planned and what the celebrations are.

"Obviously, it was slightly disappointing not to get a game, but I played my part and certainly enjoyed the celebrations afterwards."

Little missed out on the Wembley triumph as the Deepdale club finally won a play-off at the tenth time of asking and moved up to English football's second tier.

But he has no regrets at joining Preston, despite a frustrating campaign admits has made it a stop-start season for him.

He said: "It was great to be a part of the celebrations, but it's been a frustrating season for me personally.

"I couldn't have started the season any better - I was in the team and scoring goals, but I got one injury after another and that's been the problem.

"Once I came back, I had to try and get into a team that went on a run of 18 games undefeated so that was always going to be difficult.

"I came here to join a team who were hopefully going to get promoted and that's why I signed for Preston and, although this season hasn't gone well for me, the goal was to get into the Championship.

"Next season is a fresh start for me and I'm hoping to make an impact.

"I dont see any reason why we can't kick on next season and have a real go. We've played Championship teams in the Cup and matched them and beaten them.

"For me, it's a big summer and I'll come back ready to go."

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To be fair to Little I don't think he specially says Ally deserves credit if we go up. He seems to be mainly saying he deserved credit for holding everything together, which he did for a period of time.

Like the way he still refers to us as we and us.

Ally does deserve credit, he was a focal point for the fans when the shit hit the fan ( no pun intended ).

He did get us from 3rd division to the championship with very few defeats. While all was going to crap around him.

Yes the football was dire and some of his signings were mystifying but he did get us there.

Unfortunately the amount of his wages and his refusal to take a cut has soured his relationship with the fans.

But credit where credits due.

Consider the time and money that was given to McCoist. The embarrassing cup record. 20 points adrift of Hearts by chrismas. Filled the team with shite players that cost millons. Refusal to play an entertaining brand of football. Now he's hangng on to the club sucking out a lot of money he hasn't earned at a time when we really need every penny we can get. He's done more harm than good.

Only credit I'll give him is for winning third division and league one. And even then...its only third division/L1 with 2nd highest wage bill in Scotland. A donkey could've won it.

He was no good for this league nor was his clipboard sidekick. McCall had to come in and completely turn the team around. If we go up it's because of him. If Dumb or Dumber were still here we'd have been lucky to even get into playoffs.

As for McCoist sticking around after admin...well would you walk away if you were being paid fucking thousands a week? I find it hard to believe he stuck around just to help fans. He knew he was getting a huge wage, a huge wage bill and needed to win the lowest divisions in Scotland.

He gets no respect from me.

I'll be forever loyal to super ally for standing by the club in the dark days of administration and like most other genuine fans was desperate for him to succeed but in the end it was never gonnae work as when push came to shove his managerial credentials where found to be wanting. Its very similar to john greig's tenure in that he was popular but not a manager and his relationship was soured a wee bit. In any case, he'll always be super ally to this bear!

Ally does deserve credit, he was a focal point for the fans when the shit hit the fan ( no pun intended ).

He did get us from 3rd division to the championship with very few defeats. While all was going to crap around him.

Yes the football was dire and some of his signings were mystifying but he did get us there.

Unfortunately the amount of his wages and his refusal to take a cut has soured his relationship with the fans.

But credit where credits due.

Completely agree about him being a focal point in helping to hold the club together, however, with the wage bill and squad we had assembled, on many an occasion up against part timers putting in a shift before playing them, Stevie Wonder could have managed us and been reasonably expected to win the two promotions. The more worrying aspect was the horrific football, lack of any sort of tactical awareness, and the same mistakes (including undroppable players / players played out of position) repeated over and over again.

Sure enough as soon as we come up against any sort of (semi) decent opposition, the wheels come off big style. I knew we had problems - thought the league wouldn't be a cake walk as many did - I certainly didn't think, however, Hearts would have wrapped it up by Christmas and he'd be found out before even reaching the SPL.

Great ambassador; playing legend most certainly. We shouldn't be giving him any credit for the absolute shambles we are in on the pitch. A shambles which McCoist accepts a large chunk of the blame for.